Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=130&Itemid=3"]Driver Golf Shafts[/url] Group Forum: There are so many new driver shafts on the market. It can be very confusing especially when you dont get chance to try the shafts before buying.

I think some good advice from fellow dirters would be of great help to dirters looking to upgrade their current driver shaft....Looking forward to your input...

TOPIC: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33263

• Zico Martin
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Diz, when you use the NUNCHUK 370 for the first time, give it a bit of time, it took me a few rounds to get used to it, you can really lean on this shaft...which should be perfect for you :laugh:

ZM.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33265

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Mike installed 370's in all my hybrids this week. The difference is amazing. It just eliminates an awful lot of side spin . It definitely helped my tendency to pull shots. I now know why many pros favor the 370 in hybrids.

Lane,

Sure wish Nventix could convince Rory to use Nunchuk.

So much talent, but thinking he must be feeling like Ben Hogan, presecret.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33325

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
Darryl,

Check out pg. 80 in the latest Golf Digest. Only 18 months in existence and no one getting paid to play it and going up against the old established big boys. Amazing!
The technology used to make the Nunchuk shaft will be the future of premium golf shafts. It would take millions in advertising to inform players of it,s advantages . It is a---nobrainer!!

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33712

Great Forum - civil discussions and a wealth of knowledge!!!

Just purchased a Nunchuk shaft from ebay.

Using on R11s 9* head with head adjusted 1.5* higher with FCT
ASP set at "N"
10 G in heal / 1G in toe

Stock Aldila RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Shaft -
SS = 105 / 110
Ball Speed = 155
Launch Angle = 10* to 12*
Carry = 260 yds
Roll = 20 to 30 yds
Total drive yards = 280 to 290 course results
Flight pattern on good drives is straight or slight fade .
Mishits are usually 10-15 yard fade (usually out of fairway)

Nunchuk Shaft - Length- 43.75" (pulled from a driver that measured 45.75" with the shaft installed)
Have not hit on Launch monitor, set up on club head is same as above.
Total drive yards = 280 to 300 course results
Problem:
1) I am spraying my drives same or more with this shaft than the stock shaft. Not real bad results but was expecting tighter shot pattern.
2) When I go harder at it, can see more spin results.( hard draw or hard fade) 10 to 15 yards out of fairway.

I am assuming I do not have something set correctly.

Before I spend money on Launch monitor time, can anyone suggest the best weights to put in the head to achieve proper swing weight. ( Not sure if that request is possible but thought that since R11s is so adjustable someone might already have set up figured out.)

I am not real informed with club fitting or specs, looking for a little help and direction. Would really like to make this shaft work.

Thank you for your consideration,

Shane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33728

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
Using on R11s 9* head with head adjusted 1.5* higher with FCT
ASP set at "N"
10 G in heal / 1G in toe

Shane,

I dont know anything about R11, but do recall Gerry Hogan likes a head with center of gravity in center of the club face, Are you hitting mostly center of club face? or more toward the heel.

I would think 10 x more weight in the heel isnt adviseable. Just an opinion.

Would like to hear Lane's thoughts.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33729

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
If, for some reason ( I can't imagine why) you need to add weight to a driver head I can PROMISE that Gerry would NEVER,NEVER advise putting it on the toe.

Regards,

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33730

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
If, for some reason ( I can't imagine why) you need to add weight to a driver head I can PROMISE that Gerry would NEVER,NEVER advise putting it on the toe.

Lane,

Assuming 10g plus 1 g brings SW to what Shane feels comfortable, dont you think its better to add weight evenly to keep cog in center of club face?

Also sounds Shane has total length over 45 inches. isnt that longer than adviseable? May be reason original owner sold it.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33731

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
Shane,

Two thoughts for----

First-- you don't know that your driver head is actually 9 degrees. I can promise you I have tested dozens and they are rarely correct . Mfgts. Plug in a plus or minus 1. That should be higher.
The 10-12 launch angle kinda points toward maybe a loft problem. Gerry recommends 12.5-13.5. I tried 4-5 heads before I found the proper loft for me.
That is the issue with a Nunchuk shaft. Shaft mfgts . For years have made shafts with flexible tips that allow the head of the club to pass the the centerline of the shaft and flip the ball upward.
No telling where the ball will end up.
Players that are accustomed to timing a flippy shaft might have some - getting used to- with a Nunchuk. Gerry designed his shaft to eliminate the TIMING issue. He says the swing is hard
enough already. Get the right lofted head and rip that butt/ grip around your body. The Nunchuk will square up at impact when you command it - not when it wants to.
Good luck!

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33733

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
Sorry,

I missed the length part. Absolutely--- no wonder he sold it. You gotta put it on a scale table and butt cut it ONLY. I hope no one cut the tip. Glad you correct me on that.
Gerry thinks 43 inches is perfect, but he is aware that very few will go along with that. 45 in. Is out of the question for him!
Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33773

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
Check out pg. 80 in the latest Golf Digest. Only 18 months in existence and no one getting paid to play it and going up against the old established big boys. Amazing!
The technology used to make the Nunchuk shaft will be the future of premium golf shafts. It would take millions in advertising to inform players of it,s advantages . It is a---nobrainer!!

Lane,

Thanks for the heads up on the article. I havent wasted money on golf magazines in a long time,since I joined the dirt. Will check it next time I get my hair cut.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33825

Darryl,
1) Mostly center club or a little closer to Toe hits.
2) The 10 to 1 g ratio is how the R11s is sold. I put 1g in the toe to allow the club face to square or almost close at impact. Do not have any additional weight but am sure I can find some.

Thanks,
Shane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33826

Lane Holt wrote:
Shane,

Two thoughts for----

First-- you don't know that your driver head is actually 9 degrees. I can promise you I have tested dozens and they are rarely correct . Mfgts. Plug in a plus or minus 1. That should be higher.
The 10-12 launch angle kinda points toward maybe a loft problem. Gerry recommends 12.5-13.5. I tried 4-5 heads before I found the proper loft for me.
That is the issue with a Nunchuk shaft. Shaft mfgts . For years have made shafts with flexible tips that allow the head of the club to pass the the centerline of the shaft and flip the ball upward.
No telling where the ball will end up.
Players that are accustomed to timing a flippy shaft might have some - getting used to- with a Nunchuk. Gerry designed his shaft to eliminate the TIMING issue. He says the swing is hard
enough already. Get the right lofted head and rip that butt/ grip around your body. The Nunchuk will square up at impact when you command it - not when it wants to.
Good luck!

Lane

Lane,

1) You are correct on degree of driver head. I have not had it tested. Just going from stated loft on head. I normally play 10 to 10.5*.

2) The recommended 12.5 to 13.5*? Do you have a desired launch angle?

Thanks for the info,
Shane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33827

Lane Holt wrote:
Sorry,

I missed the length part. Absolutely--- no wonder he sold it. You gotta put it on a scale table and butt cut it ONLY. I hope no one cut the tip. Glad you correct me on that.
Gerry thinks 43 inches is perfect, but he is aware that very few will go along with that. 45 in. Is out of the question for him!
Lane

Lane,

I know the length is critical. When you refer to 43 inches as perfect, how are you measuring? Do I measure from the butt to the end of the R11 tip without the club face attached?

I have no problem playing a shorter shaft, just looking for correct set up.

Thanks for your input,
Shane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33829

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
Shane,

I always use a length scale board with the head attached to measure. Maybe that is not available to you, so I will email CEO Mike McCall and get back with you. He is a great club fitter.
Also-- are you using an adaptor for that head ?

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33839

Lane Holt wrote:
Shane,

I always use a length scale board with the head attached to measure. Maybe that is not available to you, so I will email CEO Mike McCall and get back with you. He is a great club fitter.
Also-- are you using an adaptor for that head ?

Lane

Lane,

1) I do not have a scale board available. I could go to a fitter about one hour from me but wanted to get good information before going. I am not sure if the club fitter is receptive to Nunchuk shaft or if he would try to persuade me away from it.

2) Yes on the adapter. I am attaching pictures.

Thanks,
Shane
Attachments:

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33840

• Bob
  • Fresh Boarder
Shane -

Here's a quick and easy way to measure your driver and at least get pretty close to what the playing length is. Use either a tape measure or a 48" ruler. Sole the club in the playing position, and measure down the bottom side of the shaft to a point where the shaft would intersect the ground if it continued through the head (red line). Make sure the tape or ruler is held up to the shaft, and not out away from it as the drawing suggests:

Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Bob.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33841

Bob wrote:
Shane -

Here's a quick and easy way to measure your driver and at least get pretty close to what the playing length is. Use either a tape measure or a 48" ruler. Sole the club in the playing position, and measure down the bottom side of the shaft to a point where the shaft would intersect the ground if it continued through the head (red line). Make sure the tape or ruler is held up to the shaft, and not out away from it as the drawing suggests:

Bob,

Great info. Thanks. I will do this and post results. I am at the office and my clubs are at my house. Will measure next chance I get.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33843

Bob wrote:
Shane -

Bob,

Measured according to your illustration: head on club measurement = 45 inches to top of grip

1) club head removed, measure from top of grip to tip of R11 adapter = 44-1/8 inches.

When referring to the optimal length, how is that measured?

Thanks,
Shane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33936

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 624
any good pricing deals on the nunchuk?

Please let me know.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33949

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
Drew,

If you have a friend in the golf business they are running a special deal for 2 driver and two 370 Hybrid shafts--- through a Gold Shop or club fitter only. If that is not available to you let me know and I'll do something else.

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33951

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 624
Lane Holt wrote:
Drew,

If you have a friend in the golf business they are running a special deal for 2 driver and two 370 Hybrid shafts--- through a Gold Shop or club fitter only. If that is not available to you let me know and I'll do something else.

Lane

Thanks, Lane.

Much appreciated!

I'll check that out.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #33991

• Lee Comeaux
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
IMG_0641.JPG

This is the second time in 4 months i have snapped the head off on my Nunchuck. With that said it is still the best shaft I have ever used. Just wished they could take the force of a RIGHT ARM LEVER... If you dont have one go get one.

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #34181

• Phil Atkins
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Lee,

When you say you broke it twice, you actually broke two shafts?.
I ask because I reworked mine when it snapped through my own misuse, I'm not as strong as you lee. I re-prepped the tip as normal but you may have to trim the internal diameter of the ferule to get it up slightly on the taper. I then added a shaft extender to account for the tip loss by trimming the butt end of a used stepped iron shaft and applied best fit to go into the Nunchuk butt end so that I effectively had a stub extension and then used a piece of butt end graphite shaft to slip over that Glued it all up, trim to personal length with new grip.and then now have a perfectly working Nunchuk driver............just a thought, these shafts are not cheap.

Phil.

It works fine for me with no noticeable difference

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 2 months ago #34182

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
FYI,

Something else is going on . A long driving Champion hit mine at the PGA show as least 20 times and I am still playing with it. Did you put the tip on a belt sander ? Is that driver head a .335?
I never heard of a Nunchuk breaking.

Lane

Re: Nunchuk driver shaft - unique concept. 2 years 1 month ago #35051

Drew Art wrote:
any good pricing deals on the nunchuk?

Please let me know.
Drew, I have an Adams 9054ls 8.5, 400cc head with nunchuk fore sale on eBay if interested
Time to create page: 0.572 seconds