Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=130&Itemid=3"]Driver Golf Shafts[/url] Group Forum: There are so many new driver shafts on the market. It can be very confusing especially when you dont get chance to try the shafts before buying.

I think some good advice from fellow dirters would be of great help to dirters looking to upgrade their current driver shaft....Looking forward to your input...
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: 3 wood shaft help?

3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9092

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys,I know this is for drivers, but I don't know where else to post this. I recently went to club champion in willowbrooke Illinois. They have a great facility, but I went through 10 shafts and none of them got my spin rates where I wanted them. My average ss was 111 bs 163 and my spin rates were around 3800 to 4200 with a downward attack angle of - 6.4 deg on average. I want to use my 3 wood as a second driver for narrow fairways, I'm not looking to hold any greens. The shaft that worked the best was a fuji 80 gram x flex. any suggestions would help. Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9100

  • Timothy Goynes
  • Timothy Goynes's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 695
  • Thank you received: 233
Man...in all honesty, I'd say just take a couple out to the course if they let you, and just see what does the most good for your game. I don't think you need to put so much emphasis on getting your spin rate, or ball speed, or whatever other numbers where you want it. At least, not until you're playing for money (and even then I wonder where the merit is).

Go out and look at trajectory. Get away from the launch monitor, and get an idea of the type of shot you want to see coming off that clubface. Do you like a higher launch or a low, penetrating flight? Draw, fade? When you find a good shaft/head combo that helps get you close to your ideal shot shape, that's the one to play. Perfect spin rates on the launch monitor and all that don't mean anything if the club ain't producing the ball flight that you want out on the golf course.

Just my two cents! Take them as such.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9101

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Right like you said ball flight. The reason I'm looking for a low spin shaft is to get a low ball flight. I like a low penetrating ball flight, and with those spin rates that isn't gonna happen. kick point, launch angle all of that wont keep the ball low with those spin rates.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9120

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
there is only so much a shaft can do if you are hitting down on it. you might wanna try some steel fw shafts as well if you havent already. otherwise you gonna have to tweak your shot not equipment.

Tim, launch monitor figures and actual ball flight dont differ all that much, certainly dont differ enough to make any practical difference, if they do that launch monitor is crap or not operated properly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9126

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Tour average for a 3 wood hit is - 4.8 deg I'm not that far off at all, but there spins are 2800 to 3400. Which would be great for what I'm looking to do. I have been looking at the Matrix OZIK F7M2 Low Tip Deflection. Trackman proven lowest spin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9129

  • Timothy Goynes
  • Timothy Goynes's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 695
  • Thank you received: 233
Mike, another thing to consider is how easily you're going to be able to hit it off the deck if you're going for ultimate low spin.

My buddy Brad, who plays off 1, had a UST V2 x-flex in his 3 wood for a while. Very "boardy" feeling shaft. Not much whip at the bottom, and therefore it had a great, low spinning, penetrating trajectory off the tee, and would go almost as far as the driver. BUT, it was near impossible to get that ball up from the fairway because of the lack of spin. A "good shot" would get MAYBE 20 feet off the ground, carry about 200, and roll out to 220 or so. It was great for staying under the wind, but it wasn't a very usable shot.

I think you'll want to back up a few notches on the "low spin" side of things. That is, unless you are planning to only use your 3 wood off the tee! You might could throw in a 4-wood, something that has some loft on it, to get the ball up off the fairway and let it carry longer to maybe get close to those par-5 greens.

I used to have a set like that...a 13-degree 3 wood with a very heavy, stiff shaft with low spin. I only used it off the tee, but I've knocked that thing out there 280. It was like a second driver. It was great, but I could never hit it off the ground. So I had a 5-wood with a little less stiff shaft that served as my "fairway wood." Now, though, I've gotten to where I want a little more versatility out of all my clubs, so I went to a 15-degree 3 wood with a Graffaloy S shaft that seems to be right in the middle for me. I can hit it off the tee or the fairway.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Timothy Goynes.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9130

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Yea I know what u mean with the shaft feeling like a board, but that has to do with torque more than anything. Most higher quality shafts still feel smooth even with low torque though. and as far as spin you can always get a low spinning club to spin more(hit more down on the ball), but you cant get a high spin club to spin less. Thanks for all your input
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9131

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
cb3270, did you get average dynamic loft readings for that 3w in your printout ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9134

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
They didn't give me anything or charge me because they couldn't get the numbers where I or they wanted them. but my 3 wood is 15deg, and the launch angles were all around 9-11 on the trackman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9140

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
shame you didnt get full report. the reason i asked is because i got puzzled by this since i cant make sense of the numbers to be honest. maybe someone else here can. the only way i can match the numbers you quoted is if i bring club speed severely down to say about 80mph then spin, launch and angle of attack figures you quoted fall into place but resulting trajectory is quite low. at 110mph and all other figures in place spin practically goes thru the roof, same with trajectory.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9147

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I do hit The ball low it starts very low Then balloons up( from The spin), but I am going for a driver fitting on The 9Th and will post up The numbers, and a video. What are you using to calculate These numbers? Also once The spin rates get to high launch monitor calculations go to extremes but I'm sure you know This.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9158

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
i'm using TrajectoWare. check it out yourself if you are interested. i know its fairly accurate because i did try real life TrackMan numbers with it and they match rather nicely. the reason i cant make sense of the numbers here is because it looks like you should be getting something like what you see in the 1st graph here with your speed, spin and angle of attack figures. if you add your launch angle figure into the mix you should be getting something like what you see in the 2nd graph however spin rate would jump seriously above the figures you quote. 2nd graph might not be very accurate because TrajectoWare will drift after crossing 4000rpm but what worries me is that numbers dont match if you keep rpm below 4k. and no, i dont know about high rpms throwing TrackMan off, where did you get that from ? in any case we are talking about half a number you would get for wedge rate so its not like we are going into any unreal extremes here. anyway its pure speculation of course since no actual report is available.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9163

  • paul lawrance
  • paul lawrance's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 7
Hye ive had the same problem using a 3 wood for years , tried ever flex every head available .
i use an x stiff diamana whiteboard tour issue in my driver but after a visit to pings factory over here in the uk i was amazed what i ended up with for my 3 wood .
The manage to find me RAPTURE V2 3 wood 14 degree (tour issue head ) and fitted it with a pro force69 series STIFF flex .
Results have been superb ive played 2 rounds hit 100% of fairways used it 3 times into par 5's from around 260 and hit inside 20 feet every time .
The ball flight is NOT stalling in the air much more of a penetrating ball flight .
Ive learnt that even if you go stiffer doesnt mean you will hit it lower.
I have look at a few players on tour and noticed a few using stiff shafts in the 3 woods / rescues when they are using x stiff in there drivers and irons.
Good luck it has taken me nearly 5 years to find a good 3 wood:evil:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9165

  • paul lawrance
  • paul lawrance's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 7
You may want to take a look at the new Titleist 3 wood they do a bigger headed one that a few of the european tour players are using .
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9167

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The second graph looks much more like what was happening, and I will definitely check this software out it looks interesting. Yes even Trackman indoors, if spin rates are high (4-5 thousand rpm) will be off just like any launch monitor. and 3800 was low end 42-4800 was more common.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9168

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
loz wrote:
You may want to take a look at the new Titleist 3 wood they do a bigger headed one that a few of the european tour players are using .
Thanks for the information I will definitely look into this.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9173

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
dunno about other monitors but TM should be pretty accurate even indoors. it needs aluminium sticker put on the ball and enough space to the net. i dont remember exactly but i think it needs 2 full ball revs to get correct data. so if its setup and operated properly it should be reasonably accurate and certainly not produce way off contradictory numbers.cb3270 wrote:
The second graph looks much more like what was happening, and I will definitely check this software out it looks interesting. Yes even Trackman indoors, if spin rates are high (4-5 thousand rpm) will be off just like any launch monitor. and 3800 was low end 42-4800 was more common.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9177

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
anton wrote:
dunno about other monitors but TM should be pretty accurate even indoors. it needs aluminium sticker put on the ball and enough space to the net. i dont remember exactly but i think it needs 2 full ball revs to get correct data. so if its setup and operated properly it should be reasonably accurate and certainly not produce way off contradictory numbers.cb3270 wrote:
The second graph looks much more like what was happening, and I will definitely check this software out it looks interesting. Yes even Trackman indoors, if spin rates are high (4-5 thousand rpm) will be off just like any launch monitor. and 3800 was low end 42-4800 was more common.
Its 15-20 feet the longer distance the better, and I am well aware of this, but with high spin and calculations not tracking the ball the full distance of flight. Trackman will still be relatively off. Not as much as others,but still off. I have contacted Miles of golf, Top golf, and Club Champion. They all will say the same thing about high spins and indoor fittings. You can contact them if you would like.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Mike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9178

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If all things go well with the driver fitting I will be doing the full bag minus the putter, and I will definitely be posting up videos for you guys with reviews.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9181

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
cb3270, if they are actually telling you flat out that they spin numbers are off i wonder why you actually bother doing any fitting based on those numbers. in your case, with figures you posted spin would be off by ~>1000rpm! thats not good and such results are misleading. with TM there is estimated spin rate feature which can be used if it cant measure it properly and this is what i think is happening in your case and why your numbers seem to be off rather significantly. i have no idea why those guys cant do it, maybe its a question of paid software upgrade or setup requirements but it certainly should be possible to get correct data with TM by measuring not by estimating. otherwise i'd try to find a place with outdoor unit and software, weather permitting of course.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9183

  • Lee Comeaux
  • Lee Comeaux's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 379
  • Thank you received: 394
here is one for ya. The last time the Titelist stopped in town which was right before Christmas I got on the trackman. launch angle was less than 1 degree and spin was 2500. I was just intrested in the launch angle thats why I went and checked I was happy with the angle as far as the rest it was greek. Ball speed was in the 190s and clubhead 130s. Again it was a launch angle thing that I wanted to know the rest is really of no intrest to me. the driver was 43 long 10.5 degree. dont know what all of it relly means but the launch angle was perfect for horizontal flight.

leecom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9184

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
Lee, unless you are mixing up launch angle with attack angle that would be extremely low shot with you hitting down on that driver quite a bit. the only reason it would have a more than decent distance is because of your club head speed and solid contact thus high ball speed but if you were to actually hit up on it even a little bit you should gain even more distance, speculative ~40-50 of additional carry depending on how on up you can get it. again this is all just speculation based on simulator which i found to be pretty accurate but its still a simulator. is that what you were looking for ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9185

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Usually a downward force or negative attack angle will add backspin, also face loft, and shaft flex. To soft of a shaft will get overloaded and flip to the finnish. The more lofted your club face with a negative attack angle equals more spin. With that club loft, swing speed, and ball speed that is very uncommon. What ball was used? and what shaft and flex? I'm guessing they definitely didn't have a well fit shaft for those numbers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9186

  • Mike
  • Mike's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
anton wrote:
Lee, unless you are mixing up launch angle with attack angle that would be extremely low shot with you hitting down on that driver quite a bit. the only reason it would have a more than decent distance is because of your club head speed and solid contact thus high ball speed but if you were to actually hit up on it even a little bit you should gain even more distance, speculative ~40-50 of additional carry depending on how on up you can get it. again this is all just speculation based on simulator which i found to be pretty accurate but its still a simulator. is that what you were looking for ?
Anton is right. The reason tour pros get so much roll is from low spin. The average attack angle on tour right now is +3.2 degrees, also with that much power you want your spin rates around 1800-2000 spin is the enemy at your point.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3 wood shaft help? 3 years 8 months ago #9187

  • anton
  • anton's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 990
  • Thank you received: 168
with that low of a launch angle spin is actually the only thing that makes it go up a bit and keeps it airborne. with lower spin carry would shorten here for sure. cannot speculate on any roll figures.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum