Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=151&Itemid=3"]Ask Sevam1[/url] Group Forum: I have set myself up to give video responses to video questions. See more info inside this group.
  • Page:

TOPIC: left wrist cup

left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8645

i am used to taking the club back with the face looking at the ball so it is not open halfway back with no cup how does pronation work in the backswing? halfway back should the club shaft be parallel to the bsall target line and should the clubface be a little open toeup or a little more than toe up and the left wrist has a little cup in it? how do you take the club back to open up the clubface and produce the left wrist cup?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8646

• Timothy Goynes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 233
If you're not letting the clubface open right from the beginning of the backswing, it's going to be hard to open it at all. The longer you keep the face looking at the ball, the more you have to flip your wrist over to open up the club.

Here's a video I made describing my 3 basic parts of the golf swing and how to get there. Maybe this will help you.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Reimer, Dary Merckens

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8647

• Timothy Goynes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 233
I also don't think you need to worry about the cup so much unless you're hitting hooks all the time. You basically want a more or less "flat" left wrist at the top. Not bowed or cupped. Just straight and even with the left arm. With a proper grip, this gets you dead square at the top. That to me is the easiest place to hit a ball from.

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8650

• Jerry Windham
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I think a flat left wrist or a cupped left wrist at the top of the backswing depends on whether you have a strong or neutral grip, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be a more important factor at impact?

Jerry

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8651

in watching sevam1's secret video its clear to me he dicusses the left arm crossin the chest and how it produces the cup So i assume that a little cup is desirable in the backswing in the left wrist. If this is correct, I would like to know when and how the cup is produced. Is it the left arm clockwise rotation as the left arm goes acorss the chest that produces the cup? I thought Hogan said he opened the clubface aggressively during the back swing. When I look at Mikes left arm at the top of his backswing the arm seems straight, across the shoulder line, flattish as opposed to upright, and it seems like the left hand is slightly cupped and that thehand only appears to end up at head height, not above his head. Do I have all this right? I think this is a great top of the backswing position. It seems like its the best position to fire into the downswing, as opposed to starting down from well above your head on a more verticle plane. Also with the slight cup in the left wrist it feels like lag is being maintained. I assume this is one of the reasons for the cup--to retain lag pressure as you start down Your thooghts would be greatly appreciated.

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8654

• 1lovegolf24
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 262
I could be wrong, but I believe Hogans wrist was cupped at address. It dissappears as he transitions and the right elbow drops to his side.

I believe Mr. Maves was correct as to how this assisted the positioning of the arm acros the chest and and the path of the club in the club in the down swing. I believe he also set the wrist in max slice position and was able to dial it back using supination depending on what each shot required.

Mark
Last Edit: 3 years 9 months ago by 1lovegolf24. Reason: added words

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8655

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
thinkin2 wrote:
I think a flat left wrist or a cupped left wrist at the top of the backswing depends on whether you have a strong or neutral grip, doesn't it? Wouldn't it be a more important factor at impact?

Jerry

I would say more swing bias of how one gets it to the top. My thoughts on the cup through my research of Hogan / ball moving right players is; (you can have a strong grip, weak grip, cup at address, cup at the top or no cup at all and still hit the ball left)! The positions at the top is important as it relates tot he bottom. I stated about the cup what I call "the harley move" in my book and felt it was a huge secret then but have since discovered that it is just part of the package along with other aspects I stated. The way I would teach cupped left wrist to anyone! Is, by pushing up and back on the club.

Tim is right too! Some players are not meant to cup and need to maintain a FLW at the top. So many ways to get it done!!!

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8706

To cup or not to cup? That is the question I have been wondering about for the last six months.

After playing around with grips this past season I found that my natural grip now is a strong left hand, with a neutral-to-weak right hand combo. What this means for me, is that my wrist is always cupped at the top, however, this sets my wrists into a position where there is minimal possible movement (~10 degrees or pronation/supination) at the top of the swing. This allowed me to focus on my take-away, alignment and tempo....but then the snow fell!

Thanks again,
Steve

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8713

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
here is the thing. ok, you cup but then the cup has to go at some point so the question is what does it do for you personally and where and how do you loose that cup in your swing and how it affects things in your swing. for Mr Hogan it did open clubface to the max just like he writes but thats more like another preset. what it also did was happening upon release of that cup very early in the downswing and what that did it flattened the plane alot aka laying off the club. the flatter your plane is the harder it is to hook it unless you shut that face at address deliberately. so there he had it ie max open face preset plus much flatter on the way down and that was his hook cure. you can also just go flat instead of cupped on a much flatter plane and you will find it is also very difficult, if not impossible if you go very very flat, to hook it that way and there is no cup involved. in fact if you watch him closely you will realize that is what he actually did later on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Reimer

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8715

I found out after the fact that Hogan used a similar grip (and was the same height as me). All that being said, I am looking for consistency, and that continues to elude me, so I plan on tinkering with things in the off season.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8792

have you seen any of the Tom Bertrand stuff -- he goes into great detail on why a cup is a good thing, how to form it and how to get rid of it. I find that with a flat or closed left wrist podition ala graham mcdowell i need more body rotation to create speed when i cup the left wrist and then get rid of the cup at the top as bertrand teaches i find i have more natual speed in the down swing getting rid of the cup seems to flatten out my downswing and i find i can really compress the ball at impact just my two cents worth

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 9 months ago #8794

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
yes, he got it from John Schlee with whom Mr Hogan worked briefly. and while it has been said that Mr Hogan wasnt particularly fond of Schlee teaching "Hogan method" or whatever later on, that aside, hes right on the money with his explanations.golfing wrote:
have you seen any of the Tom Bertrand stuff -- he goes into great detail on why a cup is a good thing, how to form it and how to get rid of it. I find that with a flat or closed left wrist podition ala graham mcdowell i need more body rotation to create speed when i cup the left wrist and then get rid of the cup at the top as bertrand teaches i find i have more natual speed in the down swing getting rid of the cup seems to flatten out my downswing and i find i can really compress the ball at impact just my two cents worth

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 8 months ago #8894

• dlam
  • Fresh Boarder
I have seen to many BS with cup or bow position to the top and have worked out. I think it's a dependent on grip and takeaway.
IMO I strongly believe that the left wrist show be arched in the DS. I think it gives the best compression to the ball.

Re: left wrist cup 3 years 8 months ago #8911

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
Just a little cup and no cup looks with different swings types.

1.JPG

2.jpg

3.jpg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds