Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=152&Itemid=3"]Building and owning your Swing[/url] Group Forum: Since we all had to start somewhere. I would like to start a group, where all can share their humle beginnings and the path that has lead them to where they are now.

From the first shot to the one that got you hooked. From frustration to triumph. From student to teacher, we all have one thing in common, we all love golf. Personally,1lovegolf.

So with humility, grace,and perciverance, we all have traveled the path to understanding our swing with hopes of owning it.

This group and threads will be dedicated to stories about where we were, where we are and where we want to go. There is no ending, only the journey and those we wish to share it with.

TOPIC: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32885

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
Bradley,
Gold right there. Gold. Gold.
Thanks,
DougBradley Hughes wrote:
Acceleration is VERY different to velocity......
acceleration is going from 20-30-40-50-60 or increasing our speed and momentum until we reach our finish point
velocity is getting to 60 as quickly as we can and then hoping for dear life we can maintain and hold on.. but for most the 60 happens halfway down and then everything is slowing down.....and we sense it!!!!! so then we try and gain speed again and the only thing we have left to try move fast is the arms and hands as the body once stopped is not going to get going again....it spells disaster for control trying to move something fast again that has already maxxed out and slowed down

We wouldnt drive a car 150mph into a bend and then just slow down and try steer it through and around the bend cos they would have the yellow flags out and be mopping us off the tar

We would approach with caution (transition) then build it up and then accelerate out of the bend

The golf swing has bends in it...it is not up and down and a straight shot...... better to accelerate through the bends for better control....just like we would in a car
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32886

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
Speed bag versus heavy bag.

One for timing and rhythm primarily, the other for using the canvas, body, and leverage for the knock out blow.

"And running into someone aint a good analogy for the golf swing, which is a lever system with several pivot points."

Gosh Dave, last time I looked at my aged and skinny body, it has move levers than I can count. I believe the elbow, for one, will allow a nice lever lift for my coffee cup....which I hear calling my name.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32887

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81
Dave wrote:
OMG guys. Anyone not connected to golf would just read this and say WTF??? Your'e wanting acceleration, but not speed. You can accelerate through the corners, but good luck if you use actual speed. :laugh: We're getting so confused in this golf world of ours its ridiculous.

Dave, you're confusing me! :unsure: :silly: :whistle: :pinch:

When you accelerate, don't you speed up? ;)

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32889

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Bradley,

Great illustration !

I hope you don't mind me adding my opinion ( actually I believe it to be a fact ) that the body is the ONLY source of power. I know -- the lever between the arms and shaft are a source of power, but the torso is pulling / powering it also .

Thanks

Lane

Lane

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32890

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
What ???

He stayed back while the club swung forward ? Please explain this to me. I must not understand what you are saying? What stayed back ?

Thanks,

Lane

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32891

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
MOMENTUM is speed x mass. Hence more momentum with heavier clubs.

Mass IS important ie heavier clubs can generate more speed.

F=MA is only one way to look at the swing, its a philosophy not a fact

Brad Owen wrote:
it's impossible to swing a heavy club faster than a light club - its just pure physics. I can swing a headless shaft at nearly 170mph, if you could make a club that weighed the same as just a golf shaft i'm betting the ball would go nowhere even with 170mph CH speed.

Brad Owen,

www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/v/introduction-to-momentum

If M=mass is doubled* then we will have to double the Force from our body/levers to maintain the same acceleration.

*No one is advocating doubling weight, but its used to make the point.

The clubhead transmits force at end of chain action, with ‘genesis in the hands’, (thank you, Cy).

Heavier shafts increase the amount of force our body movement has to generate to maintain the same acceleration. From physics doesn’t it make sense to decrease shaft weight and increase clubhead weight(Mass) and counterbalance the package?

(Heavy, thick walled shaft was the only steel shaft technology that was available to Ben Hogan to achieve stiffness he wanted.)

Above doesn’t account for CF, CP, COAM; all of which are also explained on Khan Academy.com

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32893

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Dave wrote:
OMG guys. Anyone not connected to golf would just read this and say WTF??? Your'e wanting acceleration, but not speed. You can accelerate through the corners, but good luck if you use actual speed. :laugh: We're getting so confused in this golf world of ours its ridiculous.

Now I know you guys know golf and you know the swing, so you have my respect. I'd just steer clear of the faux-physics explanations though.

Please, I'll say it for about the 14th time - I'm not suggesting throwing the arms out and away, DTL flipping, all the cliches that get used whenever anyone challenges the received wisdom of pivot-driving the swing. What I'm suggesting is that I believe you can use the forces that are available in the swing as a result of gravity to your advantage. Thats all. If gravity didnt exist you guys would be all over it.

And BTW, these pictures of Hogan make my point also - he understood how to balance the forces at work. How to stay back while the club swung forward; how to balance left while the club swung behind him.

I actually agree with what Dave is saying here. We may differ in the methods or explanations, but I think the basics are the same.

I agree you have to what Dave says "stay back" while in the process you turn the hell with the help of gravity. I guess that "staying back" refers to the upper center, correct Dave? Figure out a way to give it the MAXIMUM effort you've got AS SOON AS POSSIBLE without disturbing ALL the things that are turning and transfers the power from your muscles to the clubhead...and there you've got speed, acceleration, lag pressure, etc. all rolled into one...

The moment you "wait" or "pause" to do something or let something happen during that precious DS is a POWER DRAIN...period...

Hogan figured out a way to do everything in the BS so that all he can do once he reach the end of the BS is just give HELL to the ball...lol...and the funny thing is, the only way to do all of these--acceleration with speed, is to figure out how best to achieve accuracy...the moment you find how to be accurate and get that baseline as less curved as possible and that clubhead path as less curved as possible and that clubface as less closing as possible REGARDLESS of the given input, whether slow speed or fast speed...YOU CAN NOW GIVE IT ALL YOU'VE GOT RIGHT FROM THE GET GO!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by svsvincenzo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32894

• darryl tateishi
  • Platinum Boarder
Armless, its easy to see what Lee Comeaux talked about:

upper girdle/right collar bone to left hip

Thank you, Lee Comeaux

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32895

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
svsvincenzo wrote:
YOU CAN NOW GIVE IT ALL YOU'VE GOT RIGHT FROM THE GET GO!

But make sure you start your downswing easy and smooth. No rushing at all when you turn! It is only a CONSTANT acceleration. Swing Easy, Hit Hard!

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32896

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 610
ABS doesn't teach a "pause", and likewise, Martin's DOCF doesn't teach a pivot stall arm straightening which seems to be what modern instruction is teaching these days. I really don't understand why the ABS notion of seeking a gradual acceleration from transition to the finish of the swing is so debatable. It is exactly what Mr. Hogan prescribed in 5L...and the direct result of the chain reaction he speaks of in the book. There is a proper sequence. The sequence becomes automatic, but isn't "natural" and just waiting out there for us to just "find" it. In order for the sequence to be executed properly you can't "trip" the shaft from the top.

Drew was right a few posts ago that the clubhead has a lot further to travel than the hands and thus travels faster, but to try to speed up the clubhead by slowing down the hands seems folly to me. The direct result of a slowing or stopping of the hands so that the clubhead speed can increase is an increase in the the rate of clubface closure. Bradley made this point far better than me. Someone also said ABS teaches a nonrelease of the club. Don't know where that came from. It teaches a way to release the club so that clubface closure is slowed down and thus increases the chances of greater consistency and accuracy.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32897

• Brad
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 129
I listen to what this guy has to say.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32898

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 624
Gravity (accelleration force of an object in free fall) is a very weak force when it comes to the golf swing.

In comparison, the forces generated on the handle of the club during the swing can be very large. Bob Grober (Yale physicist and inventor of Sonic Swing) measured more than 20g of force by a long drive pro, and around 11g for PGA tour pros... More significantly, simply by experimenting with his own actions in the lower part of the swing and trying to match the sensor output he had seen from tour players, he was able to find a way that increased the force he could generate and increased his 7g to more than 11g.

Max turn g force in a fighter jet is around the same force from pro golfer (9-12g) that Grober measured with his sensors in the club.

The point being that all these forces on the club are large, and with some proper feedback you can improve their generation dramatically.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32899

• 1lovegolf24
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 263
Meant to hit cancel ;)
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by 1lovegolf24.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32900

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Drew,

I don't understand the physics of it but I can certainly feel those forces in my hands. My focus in much more on the handle these days than the clubhead.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32901

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave wrote:

If gravity didnt exist you guys would be all over it.

@Dave,

So are you really suggesting ABS doesn't use gravity to the advantage of the golfer? Both DOCF and ABS teach a lowering into the ground in transition with the legs. ABS goes a step further and teaches how to use the legs to convert that downward gravitational force into a horizontal force applied through the ball.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32902

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 624
I am not a physicist or anything close to it... but I am interested in the true findings, not the BS.

What my take away is from reading Grober and Nesbit and MacKenzie is this:

In the early part of the downswing, from transition from the shaft being parallel to the ground (P4) through the P5 position when the left arm is parallel to the ground, the best players do NOT work hard at all, IN FACT, they work less hard than the hackers.

The smart ones may apply a bit of NEGATIVE torque to keep the angles and prevent an early release of the wrist cock.

Then from P5 through, they are a generating an INCREDIBLE amount of torque in the downswing accelerating the handle with torque on the handpath....

When the center of mass in the club (BTW - to find the center of mass in the club, find the balance point) escapes the retaining forces of the negative wrist torque applied in the early part of the swing, that is the moment when release begins, and the clubhead begins to swing out, slowing the hands.

If you can go easy from the top of the swing, delay the release with holding the angles a bit in transition, then INCREASE that acceleration to a large maximum through from around P5 just before the release, that energy is trasferrred kinetically to the clubhead at the end of the stick.

The more the speed given to the clubhead the faster the clubhead will want to slows the hands through to impact, so then you need to recruit other muscles if you want to add force of the pivot or hit with a thrust straight through impact.

YMMV
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Drew Art.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32903

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
Cy wrote:
svsvincenzo wrote:
YOU CAN NOW GIVE IT ALL YOU'VE GOT RIGHT FROM THE GET GO!

But make sure you start your downswing easy and smooth. No rushing at all when you turn! It is only a CONSTANT acceleration. Swing Easy, Hit Hard!

Nope, not Hogan. Once that clubhead lays off, you gotta rush or you'll hit it right.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32904

• moehogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 233
Drew Art wrote:
I am not a physicist or anything close to it... but I am interested in the true findings, not the BS.

In the early part of the downswing, from transition from the shaft being parallel to the ground (P4) through the P5 position when the left arm is parallel to the ground, the best players do NOT work hard at all, IN FACT, they work less hard than the hackers.

The smart ones may apply a bit of NEGATIVE torque to keep the angles and prevent an early release of the wrist cock.

Then from P5 through, they are a generating an INCREDIBLE amount of torque in the downswing accelerating the handle with torque on the handpath....

When the center of mass in the club (BTW - to find the center of mass in the club, find the balance point) escapes the retaining forces of the negative wrist torque applied in the early part of the swing, that is the moment when release begins, and the clubhead begins to swing out, slowing the hands.

If you can go easy from the top of the swing, delay the release with holding the angles a bit in transition, then INCREASE that acceleration to a large maximum through from around P5 just before the release, that energy is trasferrred kinetically to the clubhead at the end of the stick.

The more the speed given to the clubhead the faster the clubhead will want to slows the hands through to impact, so then you need to recruit other muscles if you want to add force of the pivot or hit with a thrust straight through impact.

YMMV

Nice post, Drew.

I agree that Mr. H "gathered" himself dynamically around P5-P5.5, getting himself into "a position to hit" ... similiar to a baseball pitcher pitching from a full windup. No cheap, early speed with that horse!

mh

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32905

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
Grady Dickens wrote:
ABS doesn't teach a "pause", and likewise, Martin's DOCF doesn't teach a pivot stall arm straightening which seems to be what modern instruction is teaching these days. I really don't understand why the ABS notion of seeking a gradual acceleration from transition to the finish of the swing is so debatable. It is exactly what Mr. Hogan prescribed in 5L...and the direct result of the chain reaction he speaks of in the book. There is a proper sequence. The sequence becomes automatic, but isn't "natural" and just waiting out there for us to just "find" it. In order for the sequence to be executed properly you can't "trip" the shaft from the top.

Drew was right a few posts ago that the clubhead has a lot further to travel than the hands and thus travels faster, but to try to speed up the clubhead by slowing down the hands seems folly to me. The direct result of a slowing or stopping of the hands so that the clubhead speed can increase is an increase in the the rate of clubface closure. Bradley made this point far better than me. Someone also said ABS teaches a nonrelease of the club. Don't know where that came from. It teaches a way to release the club so that clubface closure is slowed down and thus increases the chances of greater consistency and accuracy.

Not referring to ABS on the "wait" or "pause" comments.

Grady I think Hogan truly found a way to make tripping the shaft impossible from the top. I think his perennial question to himself is how the hell can I give it all I've got ASAP from the top. And I think that is what the lay-off move is for. For people who have experienced their L wrist, R wrist and R elbow locking on top which resulted to the lay-off move, I'm pretty sure they've experienced and felt that tripping is impossible. In fact once you lay it off, as I've said, you better give it all you've got or else...

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32908

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
Drew Art wrote:

YMMV

Did the study/research include Hogan?

If that's the case with Hogan, how come his hands goes over his BS hand path immediately?

Hogan's L shoulder turns quite upright and truly parallel and below his plane of glass, with his L arm parallel to his shoulder line, don't you think the weight of the L arm and club, not to mention the R hand and arm that is attached to it won't help at all?

For people that don't lay off the club, yes maybe. But for Hogan that lays off the club big time?

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32909

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, I agree with that...you get the club deep into that third of fourth dimension, as John calls it, you better bring it all or you are going to go right. It is a great feeling to know all you have to do is be aggressive through the ball and you will hit it straight. For someone that used to always have one or two drives a round that hooked hard...it is very liberating.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32911

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
moehogan wrote:
Drew Art wrote:

YMMV

Nice post, Drew.

I agree that Mr. H "gathered" himself dynamically around P5-P5.5, getting himself into "a position to hit" ... similiar to a baseball pitcher pitching from a full windup. No cheap, early speed with that horse!

mh

I disagree. Look here at his real-time swings.

There's no time to gather himself. It was designed to "gather" in itself and not lose the lag and wrist angles and not trip the shaft even if he rips it.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32912

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
svsvincenzo wrote:

Nope, not Hogan. Once that clubhead lays off, you gotta rush or you'll hit it right.

Yes, but your "rushing" must be smooth and easy! :)

All great swings from Vardon to Hogan to Woods have CONSTANT acceleration. The "constant" part is the key to your swing consistency and accuracy.

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32914

• moehogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 233
svsvincenzo wrote:
moehogan wrote:
Drew Art wrote:

YMMV

Nice post, Drew.

mh

I disagree. Look here at his real-time swings.

There's no time to gather himself. It was designed to "gather" in itself and not lose the lag and wrist angles and not trip the shaft even if he rips it.

Who said anything about losing angles or tripping the shaft? "Gather" was used in a pitching (baseball) context as a simile ... part of a continuous motion (windup) that brings one to delivery. It obviously happens much faster in his golf swing.

Thanks for another look at that vid ... always glad to hear a little SRV!

mh

Re: Hogan's "Ultimate" Secret 2 years 4 months ago #32915

• 1lovegolf24
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 263
Not sure who wrote this, with so much quoting, requoting, cuttin and pastin, he said she said, explanation, exclamation :( :) :angry: :ohmy: :dry: :kiss: :evil: , but I did find one statement very helpful. Oh! LOL

Someone stated,

"There's no time to gather himself. It was designed to "gather" in itself and not lose the lag and wrist angles and not trip the shaft even if he rips it.'

Thank you very much. ;)

Mark, 1lovegolf24
Time to create page: 0.756 seconds