Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=17&Itemid=3"]general Swing Discussion[/url] Group Forum: Discuss swing thoughts, therories, problems and hopefully some solutions.

TOPIC: Finding your Optimal Swing

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30950

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81
Doug Burke wrote:
The Hand Swaparoo isn't the whole swing...it is one part of the sequence...one part of the overall sequence that I laid out. I would like you to focus on the overall sequence and how it fits together. Please give it a try and see how it works.
Rock

As I said, I don't have a problem with the rest of your sequence but the transition and the start of the downswing is the most critical part of the swing. If you do it right then the rest is just a reaction and free ride and follow through. As Ernest Jones said swing is ONE holistic motion: one move, one action, one turn, or one winding! The unwinding is just a reaction.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30952

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 403
Cy,
O.K. We have found common ground and let's talk about the beginning of the transition. I believe the hand swaparoo allow me to keep the club moving or swinging. I can do that with the hand swaparoo on a 3 foot putt, a chip, a pitch, a sand shot, a wedge, mid and long iron, hybrid, 3 wood and Driver. I know you will not even try it because you believe so strongly in the pull on the left hand (Snead) or left side (Nelson)? Got it. Snead has 81 tour victories and I have 0. I would believe Snead. Got it. This is not about me. It is about you. Who are you going to believe. I would not believe Snead, Nelson, or Rock. I would believe Cy. What Cy believes is what matters. What Cy does is what matters. How Cy treats people especially those he loves is what matters. The results that Cy gets is what matters. I can and will support your efforts to find what is optimum for Cy. I believe in you Cy. It is all about you.
Thanks,
DougCy wrote:
Doug Burke wrote:
The Hand Swaparoo isn't the whole swing...it is one part of the sequence...one part of the overall sequence that I laid out. I would like you to focus on the overall sequence and how it fits together. Please give it a try and see how it works.
Rock

As I said, I don't have a problem with the rest of your sequence but the transition and the start of the downswing is the most critical part of the swing. If you do it right then the rest is just a reaction and free ride and follow through. As Ernest Jones said swing is ONE holistic motion: one move, one action, one turn, or one winding! The unwinding is just a reaction.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30955

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
Doug Burke wrote:
Cy,
This is not about me. It is about you. Who are you going to believe. I would not believe Snead, Nelson, or Rock. I would believe Cy. What Cy believes is what matters. What Cy does is what matters. How Cy treats people especially those he loves is what matters. The results that Cy gets is what matters. I can and will support your efforts to find what is optimum for Cy. I believe in you Cy. It is all about you.
Thanks,
Doug

Rock

Thanks Doug, you've already helped me by your dedication, perseverance, and love of golf, God, family, and helping others.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30963

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 177
Cy wrote:
Byron Nelson: "The Downswing is a chain reaction, in which the left side pulls the left hand, arm, and clubhead down through the shot. But the feeling should be that the entire left side- foot, leg, hip, shoulder and left arm - starts down together as a unit."

Mr. Nelson I have a question: If my weight is on my right side after my backswing, how can I pull with my left side? All of my weight is on the right. Are we just throwing our left side forward into the great abyss of the golfing course? Something has to push somewhere.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30964

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Rock,

Tried out the Counterwound Lite Golf Swing Theory (CLGST) at the park today in the rain. It is cash money. I think of it as an X Factor type of swing. I think I might have heard of an X Factor swing somewhere but I have no idea what it is.

Anyway, the CLGST has you working your opposite extremities in tandem: Left Arm Right Leg; Right Arm Left Leg. Kind of reminds me of an X for some reason.

This is a good way to explain the golf swing. It helps prevent the two biggest problems in golf: hitting fat and hitting thin.

Why do people hit fat? They fall back on their backswing with a bad weight shift that rocks them AWAY from the ball too much. OR they cast the club due to bad hand action. CLGST clearly communicates what part of the body is in charge for the correct backswing. Keep that right leg strong, power the club back with the left shoulder/arm to ensure a good shoulder turn.

Why do people named Kenan hit it thin? They straighten their left leg too much on the downswing OR they cast the club due to bad hand action. Again, CLGST clearly communicates to the golfer what to do. Feel that weight on the left leg and anchor the downswing around it. Aim the mass of the club with the right hand/elbow/arm. Feel that mass and don't toss it too soon. If you're driving the club down with your right hand, it prevents the cast because it allows the angle of the club to the arm to stay acute. It's easier to cast a club that is more obtusely oriented to the hands/arms.

The hand swap is a great swing thought and move. It taps directly into the brain very strongly and it clearly communicates how we are going to hit the thing. It ensures that the right hand has a lot of weight on the downswing that the golfer can just aim right at the ball.

One thing that was important for me was to have a good intent for my backswing. I used Jackie Burke's "In and Up" intent. Bring the left hand in to put the club in motion (also a bit of Martin's takeaway) then push the left arm/club up. In and up. It's a great intention.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30965

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Doug, the swaparoo seems like a great idea for those swinging their dominant direction, but what about those of us who swing righty but are lefty?

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30966

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Today's Practice Wrap-Up:

It was raining/wet so I couldn't really gauge how much "bite" I was getting on the ball. My contact is vastly improved by focusing on keeping the right elbow in front of me and keeping my left leg flowing until after contact.

I've really been trying to channel Knudson's setup and action lately. I like it. I shot some video but there's nothing really amazing to it. I need to keep my hands closer to my body and continue improving my takeaway. I'm looping it to try and get to the "slot" for the strike. The loop works well but I know I could tighten up my technique if I keep digging.

My finishes are improving. Hands are shooting up, balance is good. My ball flight is good. My divots keep getting better. I can't say enough about how important the setup is. Good Lord. I see why the pros spend so much time on their setup.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by kenan.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30974

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
Cy,
Awesome. I am glad I helped you...means a lot to me.
Thanks,
DougCy wrote:
Doug Burke wrote:
Cy,
This is not about me. It is about you. Who are you going to believe. I would not believe Snead, Nelson, or Rock. I would believe Cy. What Cy believes is what matters. What Cy does is what matters. How Cy treats people especially those he loves is what matters. The results that Cy gets is what matters. I can and will support your efforts to find what is optimum for Cy. I believe in you Cy. It is all about you.
Thanks,
Doug

Rock

Thanks Doug, you've already helped me by your dedication, perseverance, and love of golf, God, family, and helping others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cy

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30975

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
Kenan,
Yes, it is cash money. I am glad to hear you are having success with it. Jim McLean has the X factor swing...difference between the hip and shoulder turn. This is a different X factor...working across the sagital plane across the body from lower to upper body. I can understand how you are describing the X. Yes, the hand swaparoo create an immediate subconscious action by your body as it believes the club is getting away and the right hand becomes dominant automatically and the club continues to move in a flow. The CLGST definitely will allow you to stay centered over the ball and not sway right and left so it is good that you noticed that. Excellent. I think you were able to describe it well so that is why they pay you cash money to teach.
Thanks,
Rock Man

I like how you are feeling the in and up on the takeaway...that is an important aspect to ensure you hands stay close to your core so well done on figuring that detail out.kenan wrote:
Rock,

Tried out the Counterwound Lite Golf Swing Theory (CLGST) at the park today in the rain. It is cash money. I think of it as an X Factor type of swing. I think I might have heard of an X Factor swing somewhere but I have no idea what it is.

Anyway, the CLGST has you working your opposite extremities in tandem: Left Arm Right Leg; Right Arm Left Leg. Kind of reminds me of an X for some reason.

This is a good way to explain the golf swing. It helps prevent the two biggest problems in golf: hitting fat and hitting thin.

Why do people hit fat? They fall back on their backswing with a bad weight shift that rocks them AWAY from the ball too much. OR they cast the club due to bad hand action. CLGST clearly communicates what part of the body is in charge for the correct backswing. Keep that right leg strong, power the club back with the left shoulder/arm to ensure a good shoulder turn.

Why do people named Kenan hit it thin? They straighten their left leg too much on the downswing OR they cast the club due to bad hand action. Again, CLGST clearly communicates to the golfer what to do. Feel that weight on the left leg and anchor the downswing around it. Aim the mass of the club with the right hand/elbow/arm. Feel that mass and don't toss it too soon. If you're driving the club down with your right hand, it prevents the cast because it allows the angle of the club to the arm to stay acute. It's easier to cast a club that is more obtusely oriented to the hands/arms.

The hand swap is a great swing thought and move. It taps directly into the brain very strongly and it clearly communicates how we are going to hit the thing. It ensures that the right hand has a lot of weight on the downswing that the golfer can just aim right at the ball.

One thing that was important for me was to have a good intent for my backswing. I used Jackie Burke's "In and Up" intent. Bring the left hand in to put the club in motion (also a bit of Martin's takeaway) then push the left arm/club up. In and up. It's a great intention.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Doug Burke.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30976

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
Dean,
I am really keeping my hands soft to have a swing so I don't believe a dominant left hand is a huge advantage of disadvantage. Yes, my left hand is doing something, but I am primarily getting in a position post transition where I can turn everything though the ball with the lower left knee leading...going pretty much straight back. The hands are maintained very tight to the core during the swing and I really do not want you to activate the hands through impact...they will be lagging. You could do an experiment and try reversing how I described the CLGST sequence so you can have your left hand being dominant through impact and see how that works...right upper/left lower on backswing, hand swaparoo, left upper/right lower on downswing and see how that works for you. I am not sure what would be optimum for you...I am right hand dominant so it is optimum for me to have my right hand dominant through impact, but I would definitely compare and contrast these two sequences and figure it out for your self. Good Luck.
Thanks,
DougDean Mitchell wrote:
Doug, the swaparoo seems like a great idea for those swinging their dominant direction, but what about those of us who swing righty but are lefty?

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30980

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
kenan wrote:
Cy wrote:
Byron Nelson: "The Downswing is a chain reaction, in which the left side pulls the left hand, arm, and clubhead down through the shot. But the feeling should be that the entire left side- foot, leg, hip, shoulder and left arm - starts down together as a unit."

Mr. Nelson I have a question: If my weight is on my right side after my backswing, how can I pull with my left side? All of my weight is on the right. Are we just throwing our left side forward into the great abyss of the golfing course? Something has to push somewhere.

Good question my son! If you wind yourself correctly in the backswing then what Mr. Nelson said is easy to do.
It would easy to start the downswing with your lower body the way Mr. Hogan showed in that famous 1 minute YouTube video. However correct winding is a big if for over 90% of golfers! ;-)

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #30996

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Doug, I'll experiment with that. I note that you prefer a light grip pressure, which is how I've played my best golf. I've allowed it to become much firmer recently after reading a lot of stuff on ABS forum.

Doug Burke wrote:
Dean,
I am really keeping my hands soft to have a swing so I don't believe a dominant left hand is a huge advantage of disadvantage. Yes, my left hand is doing something, but I am primarily getting in a position post transition where I can turn everything though the ball with the lower left knee leading...going pretty much straight back. The hands are maintained very tight to the core during the swing and I really do not want you to activate the hands through impact...they will be lagging. You could do an experiment and try reversing how I described the CLGST sequence so you can have your left hand being dominant through impact and see how that works...right upper/left lower on backswing, hand swaparoo, left upper/right lower on downswing and see how that works for you. I am not sure what would be optimum for you...I am right hand dominant so it is optimum for me to have my right hand dominant through impact, but I would definitely compare and contrast these two sequences and figure it out for your self. Good Luck.
Thanks,
DougDean Mitchell wrote:

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31015

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Cy wrote:
kenan wrote:
Cy wrote:

Good question my son! If you wind yourself correctly in the backswing then what Mr. Nelson said is easy to do.
It would easy to start the downswing with your lower body the way Mr. Hogan showed in that famous 1 minute YouTube video. However correct winding is a big if for over 90% of golfers! ;-)

So if I wind myself correctly in the backswing I will have weight on my left side? And then I will use the outside spikes on my left shoe to PULL my left side away from my backswing. I will use my groin muscles to hoist all of that weight and momentum on my right side? Not buying it. It seems so much easier to go ahead and push with my right leg. That's what our legs are built for, pushing. The only muscles we have that pull towards our body are the hamstrings and the groin. The groin being the main pulling muscle in lateral movement.

Cy, if I'm trying to play defense in basketball and I'm sliding or turning laterally to my left, I am not powering this move with my left foot. I am pivoting my hip, getting my left leg out of my way and pushing with my right leg. Then when my left foot has leverage, I'm pushing with that foot too. Never pulling with non load bearing foot.

Mr. Nelson might have been trying to illustrate a point to students, that's fine. I can't see how in reality the physics would back him up.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31032

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
kenan wrote:

So if I wind myself correctly in the backswing I will have weight on my left side? And then I will use the outside spikes on my left shoe to PULL my left side away from my backswing. I will use my groin muscles to hoist all of that weight and momentum on my right side? Not buying it. It seems so much easier to go ahead and push with my right leg. That's what our legs are built for, pushing. The only muscles we have that pull towards our body are the hamstrings and the groin. The groin being the main pulling muscle in lateral movement.

Cy, if I'm trying to play defense in basketball and I'm sliding or turning laterally to my left, I am not powering this move with my left foot. I am pivoting my hip, getting my left leg out of my way and pushing with my right leg. Then when my left foot has leverage, I'm pushing with that foot too. Never pulling with non load bearing foot.

Mr. Nelson might have been trying to illustrate a point to students, that's fine. I can't see how in reality the physics would back him up.

You have a deep misunderstanding on how to transition and start the downswing in golf. Golf is not basketball! ;-) In golf, nobody is trying to steal your ball, Kenan! No need to rush, push, or shove! :-)
On the top of your swing, be patient and start your downswing slowly, smoothly, and gently. The only thing you need to defend against in golf is thousands of misconceptions! ;-)
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Cy. Reason: spelling

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31041

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
cy,

you never answer my questions. winky winky.

What's your understanding about how to transition? "start the downswing slowly." That's not an answer.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31048

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder

Dean,
I did a video for you during my practice session today. Hopefully, this will add clarity to my words. My dominant hand is my right hand so I was attempting to see what it would be like to have a dominant left hand....realize it is not the same as being a lefty playing righty, but I gave it a try notheless. It worked well for me swinging with my left hand with these adjustments so it should work fine for you. The main thing is I was showing you a glimpse into how I operate...to see how to optimize what I have and you can find a way if you believe you can and will do it. Good Luck!
Thanks,
DougDean Mitchell wrote:
Thanks Doug, I'll experiment with that. I note that you prefer a light grip pressure, which is how I've played my best golf. I've allowed it to become much firmer recently after reading a lot of stuff on ABS forum.

Doug Burke wrote:
Dean,
Thanks,
DougDean Mitchell wrote:

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31050

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
kenan wrote:
cy,

you never answer my questions. winky winky.

What's your understanding about how to transition? "start the downswing slowly." That's not an answer.

I gave you three solutions/answers already: my own, Mr. Nelson, and Mr. Hogan. ;-) ;-)

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31058

• Diz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
looking good Rock
diz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug Burke

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31060

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
Doug Burke wrote:

Dean,
I did a video for you during my practice session today. Hopefully, this will add clarity to my words. My dominant hand is my right hand so I was attempting to see what it would be like to have a dominant left hand....realize it is not the same as being a lefty playing righty, but I gave it a try notheless. It worked well for me swinging with my left hand with these adjustments so it should work fine for you. The main thing is I was showing you a glimpse into how I operate...to see how to optimize what I have and you can find a way if you believe you can and will do it. Good Luck!
Thanks,
Doug

Doug, that's great. Thank you so much. I'm off to the range this morning to work on that. Hopefully there will be space on the grass for me to film some swings for you.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31067

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
VJTroliovsRockforDean29Apr2012.jpg

Dean,
Here is a comparison between my self and VJ Trolio at the top of the backswing. I wanted to show you this counterwound stretch between my left armpit and my knees I was working to create in order to show you how to provide leverage for your dominant left side. VJ Trolio has a bigger stretch than me and you can see that if I got my right butt cheek a little more behind my left, I would duplicate what VJ is doing. This counterwound stretch will allow you to simply turn the hips on the downswing with no lateral slide. Most golfers believe they are winding up on the backswing and unwinding on the downswing. They do not understand that you keep the counterwound going throughout the entire swing...you can see the stretch in my shirt and I keep that going through impact. This is how you compress the golf ball and it is very repeatable. Good Luck. Glad to hear you are getting out there to work on this so I wanted you to have a clear image for how you are going to use your dominant left side by getting your body in a position at the top of the backswing so you can simply turn through the golf ball and crush it.
Thanks,
Doug

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31069

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
Doug, I love that video of VJ and have viewed it many, many times.

I got to the range today to video my swing. I wanted to show you exactly where my swing is right now before working on the moves you have suggested. These videos are very frustrating for me and I really struggle mentally with hitting the ball so badly. My pivot is all over the place. You can see that I collapse at the top and lose my left side. The FO video does, however, highlight my really bad shot - the fat one.

I worked a little after this on the moves you recommended, but really struggled with any feel for them and terrible contact. Even when I hit it badly and feel like throwing it in I come away from the range after some emotional detachment and learn something. Today I learnt that I have to have structure to my learning or I soon end up just trying to find the center of the clubface and forget about integrating new moves. I find it very difficult to accept the learning curve needed and soon slip into just trying to hit good golf shots. This has always been my limiting factor.

I wonder if you could think of any way I could work on these moves without a ball? Perhaps swinging at a tee in the ground? Perhaps some kind of target of hitting a number of balls with one club and one swing thought?

Anyway, here is my FO 6 iron lacking any kind of confidence.

and driver...

Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Dean Mitchell.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31111

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
Dean Mitchell wrote:
Doug, I love that video of VJ and have viewed it many, many times.

I got to the range today to video my swing. I wanted to show you exactly where my swing is right now before working on the moves you have suggested. These videos are very frustrating for me and I really struggle mentally with hitting the ball so badly. My pivot is all over the place. You can see that I collapse at the top and lose my left side. The FO video does, however, highlight my really bad shot - the fat one.

Doug Burke Response: I cut and pasted a post from Phily awhile back...he has disappeared from the thread again so I hope he is alright, but nonetheless, this is very good guidance. Look at stick man. This should give you a good image of how to create ground clearance...the left shoulder had to keep moving through impact and DO NOT stall and dump.phily wrote:
@Mike Pedersen,

You mentioned the feeling of needing to create enough space for the shaft and arm to release, perceiving that if you don't arch your shoulder/back/neck the club-head will hit fat.
I made this crude animation to remind you both where the intent to release should be and how the rotation of the shoulders (feeling of the right going under the left) combined with posting on the forward leg automatically creates that distance for you.
Taking into account any foreshortening in the view of the stick-man, think about how long he is able to keep the shaft and left (lead) arm from straightening by deciding not to 'throw' until late in the swing. He would hit very fat too if his intent to fire early was acted upon - but the unreleased lag angle never gives the club a chance to hit the turf in front of the ball. (this was modeled on a driver btw).
This doesn't mean that you should hold off the release like a vise with the hands it just means letting the arms drop into your side as they go along for the ride while your lower body does a lot of the work for them until they are 'brought into position' to do exactly what you currently do from the top now. (best I can explain).

I worked a little after this on the moves you recommended, but really struggled with any feel for them and terrible contact. Even when I hit it badly and feel like throwing it in I come away from the range after some emotional detachment and learn something. Today I learnt that I have to have structure to my learning or I soon end up just trying to find the center of the clubface and forget about integrating new moves. I find it very difficult to accept the learning curve needed and soon slip into just trying to hit good golf shots. This has always been my limiting factor.

Doug Burke Response: Great. I love when I get terrible contact when I first start working on something. It means I am actually making a change. If you do the same things, you will get the same results...I guarantee that. Trust me that you will not find too many people on this planet who will focus on results more than me. I also realize there is a process that gets results...hard work, energy, love, focus, and determination. If you are not willing to put that out, then you should find a new game to play because Golf will eat you alive. You either have to decide that you are a recreational golfer and out for some exercise and some laughs...buy 100 gator eggs online to play with so you can just reload...and literally do not care about the results or you are a tournament player...there is no in between. If you are a recreational player, then you shouldn't be in this thread...go out an enjoy what God gave you and play...I have seen many guys who get fairly consistent with some god awful looking swings, but the main thing is they accepted that they are doing it for recreation and enjoy the game for that. Even if you are tournament player, you can enjoy it, but you have to improve so there is a process that you must follow and it will be a test of your character to learn how to break 70. There is no shortcut...have seen some guys get good really quick when I was young and they were young, but those folks are few and far between. You will need to have to adjust your attitude so you don't get frustrated with this process...you need to accept the journey for what it is and keep plowing ahead.

I wonder if you could think of any way I could work on these moves without a ball? Perhaps swinging at a tee in the ground? Perhaps some kind of target of hitting a number of balls with one club and one swing thought?

Doug Burke Response: You can work in your house to ingrain what you are going to work on at the range so you do not get off track. Every time you go to the range, you need to have one or two things to work on. When you have achieved those one or two things, then go home and let it marinate. Always stay focused on achieving your goal for that practice session and keep going until you get it. When you hit achieved it, go home. You can come back 10 minutes later and start working on that same one or two goals to prove that you have it. At some point...weeks, months, you will hit 10 or more in a row well with that new move and then you can take on a new improvement.

Anyway, here is my FO 6 iron lacking any kind of confidence.

and driver...

Doug Burke Response: I studied your Driver swings. You have a nice tempo and rhythm and I think you can get much better. I see a very undisciplined setup routine...very undisciplined. I see no alignment sticks. You appear to have no target in mind. You kept teeing the ball up further to the right of the camera and kept hitting it further left of where the previous ball had went. I do not see you setting your feet when you are looking at the target. I am not sure what you are doing with this practice session, but I guarantee that continuing to practice like that will get you the exact results that you got...crapola. I am giving you some tough love here, but this is the first thing I would do with you if I was watching you hit. I would tell you to invest $15 in alignment sticks and get a tape measure so you set them up the same way every time. Pick a target and align those up correctly. You can ask Tony how much time I spent getting his address to be consistent. Grip (looking like you did that nicely), alignment (very poor), stance (ok), and posture (OK) are HUGE. I would start with that with you . I am not going to comment on your swing right now until I see you post some shots where it looks like you are practicing with some kind of intent to hit at a target. Please go buy alignment sticks and a tape measure. I want precision with your setup and alignment. I want the tee going into the same hole and I want your feet in the same spots. I want the camera aligned perfectly down the target line so I can see where the ball went with the swing that you took. There is no reason for me to give you any other advice because without that, you will not improve and I will not be able to help you. I want precison, Dean, and it starts with the grip, alignment, stance, and posture. You need to precise with that to get precise results. I am not disappointed with you...trying to give it to you straight...what you should work on next to improve.
Thanks,
Doug

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31112

• Doug Burke
  • Platinum Boarder
VJTroliovsDeanBackswingComparison30Apr2012.jpg

Dean,
I decided to give you on thing to work on your swing. You can see here the difference between you and VJ Trolio at the top of the backswing. There is a huge difference in your pivot. The question is why. You are doing a total hand job on the backswing and not using your lower or upper body to lead your hands. I want you to work on getting more of an inward move of the hands by keeping them quiet so your body can get them going more inside on the takeaway. This will allow you to get your right butt cheek more behind the left one so you can rotate and get some butt into the shot through impact instead of a hand job. This will inch you closer to the top of the backswing position of VJ.
Thanks,
Doug
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Doug Burke.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31131

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Rock and Optimal Land,

Got some serious changes accomplished today. My feels and sounds went from hacker to amateur tournament player today.

I will hit driver alongside Rock and look him dead in the face and ask him how he likes them apples. I might not outdrive him every time but I will outdrive him sometimes.

I have found a lot of easy power and control and that makes me happy.

Re: Finding your Optimal Swing 2 years 6 months ago #31136

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
Doug, I really appreciate and acknowledge as correct everything you said to me there. My frustration doesn't come from not having a willingness to work, but from having such a timing dependant action that can hit 14 greens two weeks ago and then go to this kind of striking.

Yes, my practice sessions are completely pointless and unstructured. I was worried about the area I chose to work in today because it was very uneven. Instead of moving I moved my tee around a lot. Very undisciplined. I've become undisciplined with my set-up routine in play and practice when it used to be one of my keys.

I'll go grab some sticks and get things better structured and work on that first move. How do you feel about making the right shoulder straight back the initiator?
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds