Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Maximum Driving Distance

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #34413

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 186
Timothy Goynes wrote:
phily wrote:
Really enjoyed watching the progress here and all the info. Was thinking about swing speed drills the other day and remembered that quote from Phil Mickelson about bunker practice - "As bunker play increases so does driving performance".

I always thought it was the other way around, at least with Phil...as driving performance decreases, bunker play increases..

:laugh:
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by phily.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35201

• Jono
  • Fresh Boarder
Christo, I enjoyed your long drive training videos on youtube. I did something similar starting 2004 with the speedchain. I started at 95mph and within a month or two, went up to 115mph. I stayed there for a couple of years until I started working with a light club. My clubhead speed jumped up to 120-125mph and when I added weight training, I was able to get my clubhead speed up to 135mph. I haven't trained for a while and I'm around 125mph now which I'm content with.

Just a couple of suggestions.

I noticed that you were using a 10.5 degree driver in your youtube video. I wonder whether you will get more distance with your clubhead speed if you went to a lower lofted driver (around 8 degrees), and hit up on the ball more.

Have you had a go on a trackman? Amazing piece of technology. It reads the clubhead speed some 10% less than the swing speed radar. More importantly, it will tell you what the ball is doing. You can alter your equipment and the angle of attack to get the optimal ball launch.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35202

• Christo Garcia
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
I picked up a Taylor Superfast (the older black model) at a 9.5 degree. I was looking for an 8.5 but I couldn't find one. The sales guy told me the Superfast is built for a more penetrating flight. I don't know if that's true but I hit it yesterday and bombed a couple insanely far with a great launch angle.

I just got back from the gym so I'm working that in my routine after a little break.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35206

• Lee Comeaux
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Christo IM A HUGE FAN OF YOUR VIDEOS ALWAYS HAVE BEEN. CONGRATS ON FINDING WHAT IS IN YOU AS YOU SAID IN THE ONE VIDEO I WATCHED. When you get to MAXED out PM ME Ill give you another tip that will take it to RUDE NUMBERS. Im not into the power thing anymore there was a time. But in order tofind it you must do exactly what you do. NIKE SWOOSH. JUST DO IT.... Love it and love your stuff Christo KEEP IT COMING. My max was 163 was as high as I could get it to. I play at about 110 mph now still goes miles. SPEED = FAST TWITCH = PURE FUN. Keep it up I lOVE IT...

Comeaux

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35207

• Christo Garcia
  • Junior Boarder
Mr. Comeaux, I'm a huge fan of your work! I'd love to learn more about your swing philosophy. I think I'm discovering some of the same things. I'm shocked how effective the speed work has been. The doors it has unlocked is changing my game. 2 years ago I was averaging a score of 87, and I recently shot 2 under on the back side at Angeles National (designed by Jack Nicklaus, 140 slope). I have yet to break par for 18 but I think it's a real possibility for the first time in 35 years of playing golf! BTW, 163 is insane and I'm ready for some RUDE NUMBERS! :laugh:

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35210

• Christo Garcia
  • Junior Boarder
I played the toughest course in my area designed by Jack Nicklaus with a 140 slope. I didn't want to keep score at first, but wound up shooting 2 under on the back side (our front 9). This is getting really fun...

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 9 months ago #35219

• Diz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
I like your hand speed .. games fun when you bomb it!

diz

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 7 months ago #38400

• trumb1mj
  • Fresh Boarder
I was inspired by Christo's speed videos and have started my own speed training. I recorded my swing speeds for 30 balls the first day with an average of 99 mph. After day 1 of the training I was already up to a 104 mph average for 30 balls. After day 2, I was up to 109... I'm going for my 3rd session tomorrow and I am like a kid before christmas. I have noticed this awesome sound I have never heard before with this new speed... This really seems to work!

I've been doing some running, stretching, situps and pushups to supplement my training.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 7 months ago #38405

• Lasar
  • Junior Boarder
keep up posting your progess,

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 7 months ago #38510

• trumb1mj
  • Fresh Boarder
Today was another a new high. Last time out I hit 113 a few times and had 115 as my goal today. I hit that a few times but had one controlled swing that I smashed at 118--it felt nuclear and the ball flight was beautiful! My endurance was much better after 72 hours of rest--I was able to hit an extra 10 balls and do a 4th set of fast swings.

As Christo mentioned in his video, I do not seem to be adding a ton of MPHs by swinging out of my shoes. The radar really helps me figure out ways to get faster and stay within my swing... If anything, my accuracy has improved.

Last session: 109.3 mph
Today's average: 110.6 mph

Total week 1 gain: 11.21 mph (10.93%)

I should note that today I used my blank shaft but bolted a golf ball to the end. The extra weight felt a lot better on the blank swings.

Hey Christo, what has happened to your speed since completing the one month? Have you sustained your gains?

photo.JPG

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 5 months ago #42044

• trumb1mj
  • Fresh Boarder
I pulled a muscle this Fall while warming up and it forced me to call it a year with the speed training. I still use the Swing Speed Meter when I practice and I've kept all of my gains.

Yesterday at the range I hit 115 with a normal swing.

One thing to note is that my RBZ stiff shaft was rendered useless with me 15+ MPH gains (started at an average of 95). I'm looking forward to the Spring when things heat up so I can start round 2 of this training.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 5 months ago #42051

• alvin
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 154
Christo,
Awesome stuff! Now I know what I can do with my fat-ass 44 yr old body this winter. Very inspirational.
And now, my wife and kids can finally get me a relevant golf gift this Christmas...The Swing Speed Radar!
I'm in...
Thanks,
Alvin

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 5 months ago #42054

• greg
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
wow, im jealous of these improvements. michael(or anyone else), how do you attach a golfball to the end of the shaft? also, can you give a quick guide to what i should do to start this 'journey'?

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 5 months ago #42055

• trumb1mj
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm a huge fan of Christo's youtube page, myswingevolution (www.youtube.com/user/myswingevolution) and he has all the info you need there in a 10 part series. He followed Mr. Slagle's eBook (I bought it and it's an interesting manual on speed and the swing) on maximizing swing speed. You can buy that here: www.amazon.com/Increase-Your-Clubhead-Speed-ebook/dp/B00683PGMU

FYI, I actually dumped the ball version and just use an old shaft with a little tape at the end. I found the ball version to be too heavy to properly train my fast twitch muscles.

Also, the swing speed radar by itself is very useful. I use it every range session. You can quickly figure out what slows you down and what makes you faster. For example, this last session I felt a little slow and was a little slow. I reminded myself to take a bigger turn and just like that, back comes my power.
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by trumb1mj.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 5 months ago #42080

• Gregory Smith
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey Christo, I'm a big fan of your tube channel. My fav is the Golden Loop video; great message. Perhaps this question requires another thread, but I thought I'd ask here first.

What are your thoughts on making contact on the upside, rather than downside, of your arc?

I hear about this every once in awhile, and I can't find a definitive answer on this subject. I'm not even sure if I catch my drives on the downswing or upswing at impact. I'm starting to feel like I missed a huge concept in driving the ball. Also, if this subject is discussed somewhere else on the forums, some direction would be much appreciated.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 4 months ago #43147

• Christo Garcia
  • Junior Boarder
Mr. Comeaux... I don't know why but I have not had much luck finding many videos of yours. I'm not sure why. I distinctly remember the first video of yours that I saw... You were on a range at night and your action was pure and effortless. I just saw a video on youtube where you talked about where a crane gets it's power - genius! I would LOVE to send you an email, show you my latest, and ask you some questions. (My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .) I'm all ears and I am very impressed by what little I have been able to find about your concepts. I'm dying to learn more!

Very best wishes...

Christo

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 4 months ago #43148

• Fester
  • Fresh Boarder
Christo,
You can find Lee at CMotiongolf.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 4 months ago #43149

• vinny
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Christo Garcia wrote:
Mr. Comeaux... I don't know why but I have not had much luck finding many videos of yours. I'm not sure why. I distinctly remember the first video of yours that I saw... You were on a range at night and your action was pure and effortless. I just saw a video on youtube where you talked about where a crane gets it's power - genius! I would LOVE to send you an email, show you my latest, and ask you some questions. (My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .) I'm all ears and I am very impressed by what little I have been able to find about your concepts. I'm dying to learn more!

Very best wishes...

Christo

Hi Chris, there are 6 vids which are very good, this the first.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 4 months ago #43150

• Christo Garcia
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks a ton!

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 1 month ago #50538

Just thought I'd share my experience with Christo's programme here. I came across him on Youtube and following his advice bought Tom's e-book and the Swingspeed radar device. I then followed the overspeed training that Tom recommends on his Youtube video.

I have to say I was astonished at the results. I'm not entirely sure if the speeds recorded are entirely kosher ( have heard some doubts about accuracy compared with Trackman ) but the improvement is what counts, and that's undeniable. I started at the painfully low max of 83 mph during my initial trial, but was pleased to record my first 100 mph drives last weekend, after 5 weeks fairly regular training.

I should add that although I'm 64 years old, I'm still pretty athletic ( play squash, do Pilates, Yoga, cycling etc ) and in excellent physical shape generally - always carry my bag around my hilly homecourse for instance. Never been near a gym, can't think of anything more depressing....

I'm guessing the improvement is a combination of 3 factors :
1. I've been encouraged to swing/hit as hard as I can for the first time ever...leading to....
2. I can definitely feel I've developed some fast twitch muscles - it's almost as though they're burning to go !
3. Equally important, after reading Tom's excellent e-book, having spent my career as a smooth swinger concentrating on accuracy, I'm being converted into a hitter - and with no loss of accuracy. So psychologically I feel completely comfortable hitting as hard as I can.

On the course, although I haven't played very much, the difference is obvious. On Sunday I birdied a long ( for me - 435 yards ) par 4 with a 5 wood for my second shot, which was previously out of range with my 3 wood - in wet conditions ( my drive actually sprang back from its pitchmark ). Overall I'm 2 clubs longer, and if anything straighter. I also notice that my pitching and chipping is better, which I hadn't expected at all - nice bonus !

After the initial burst, I'm beginning to suspect I'm getting close to my genetic limitations - but such an improvement at my age is beyong my wildest dreams !

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 1 month ago #51160

Daniel - How is the 3 balls epoxy to shaft working for you?

I was going to do the same thing.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 1 month ago #51162

Jon Pappas wrote:
Daniel - How is the 3 balls epoxy to shaft working for you?

I was going to do the same thing.

It seems to be a pretty good weight. Problem is, I really haven't worked much with the speed training. Instead, I started the online drill series with Bradley Hughes last year and have been working on this to improve my action. I have seen quite an improvement in my ball striking so I am getting ready to try the speed training again. Need to get into some decent shape first so I don't hurt myself though! BTW... I used an old bi-matrix shaft from an Orlimar club that I had laying around so that is a little heavier than an all graphite shaft...especially in the tip area. I tried swinging just the shaft but it felt much too light. Good luck.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 1 year 1 month ago #51165

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I need to experiment with different weights for the overspeed training. My Sports Sensor arrives today. Bradley Hughes emphasis on heavier, flatter clubs, makes sense. But I'm not sure how well that translates to hitting longer with a driver.

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 9 months 2 weeks ago #58694

• Geoff Clark
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
What a great thread. Thank you Christo and everyone :)

Re: Maximum Driving Distance 9 months 5 days ago #59762

• Mark Bambery
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Christo,
I dig the stuff you have been doing! Thought Bradley Hughes's more recent video on this site might be of interest to you. Check it out!
Time to create page: 0.367 seconds