Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mental game at the time you are changing something

Mental game at the time you are changing something 2 years 1 month ago #36050

• Tapio Santala
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 92
Was just talking with one of the players I started to work about 5 months ago. His background is that he turned pro at -98 (yes 14 years ago) and has won some smaller tournaments at his career and holds few course records also in Finland. The problem has been always he can play scores like 63-76 and that was something he almost stop playing.

At march he discussed in one tournament in Morocco with some other students of mine and gave me a call where he explained that he thinks he has now understood what I've been telling in finnish forums and what has been his problem; flipping and big amount of forearm rotation that has brought him lot of timing issues when the day is not so good. So as he understood really well and is talented guy it was really easy for him to change the swing and really start to do about the opposite what he has done all his life. Yep, sounds big change but I feel it's easier than fix only small parts, but it's a different story)

He practised indoors about two weeks and went to other tournament and was leading it by 8 shots at the beginning of the last round. The result was he finished second after everything collapsed at the last round after good start. Here is the card from that tournament

Please keep your passion... I'm getting there ;)

So today he was playing a tournament in Finland and instead of one stupid double ( for same reason I tell later) he was ok to fight to win there. Today... yep... -4 out... and then... what the hell

So he told me: " One old style flip OB and then few more as my head was boiling and I thought I didn't even know how to walk anymore"

This sam happend in Challenge tour tournament last week here as he came 7 last holes of 3rd round +5 and final day again without pressure total of -4 with not so good short game

So finally to the topic after long intro:

As I see it it's psycho-physical subconscious reaction that comes only when everything is working perfectly AND the pressure starts to rise. Somehow in human mind he feels deep in himself that the old hell is more comfortable than new paradise ;) I hope you get what I mean; with that old hell you know nothing WORSE will happen than what you have experienced before, but you don't really deeply trust the new way yet and it's not subconscious for you. You are just bit unsure of it whatever good it has brought to you and there is still something unknown in it.

So what I think are the cures for that:

1. Recognize and understand the situation so you can react to it. Somehow even accept it's there and just waits the moment you are not careful enough

2. Never start to "trust". I mean of course we have to trust for what we are doing, but players falls to the situation where they except everything continue automatically how it has been when everything is going well and the evil is just watching and waiting the chance to step in.

3. First YEARS after the change you have to be very careful about what you say to yourself. Only active tasks are allowed and they have to be strong. Before every shot you have to tell yourself what you gonna do without any other thoughts or anything to avoid.

Any thought or opinions / advices to handle this situation are very welcome

Tapio
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds