Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26392

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
Tiger Stats at Pebble

Driving Accuracy Percentage 72.73% Fwys Hit: 40 Poss. Fwys: 55 He did not hit driver every hole but he hit it plenty of times

He drove it well in Dubai as well the last round wasn't good but he was just off fairway on a bunch of holes He is hitting a cut again and seems to be hitting it well. Even Mickelson said Tiger hit his diver well. Mickelson said he kept waiting for the Hook to appear but it never did. The swing changes seem to be causing issues with his short iron distance control.

On the PGA Tour there's no way he is going to hit 3 wood off the tee he would be giving up to much.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Bill B.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26394

  • alan
  • alan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 643
  • Thank you received: 64
Is my memory correct on this,didnt freddie couples just use a 3-wood to win some tournaments back in his prime,cause he was struggling with driver
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26395

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
Don't know about Freddie But I know Tiger won the British open at Hoylake hitting Driver once in 4 rounds. That was on links golf on baked out fairways. The last 3 times I have watched Tiger play not so much his driving.
It's been distance control and putting
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26398

  • alan
  • alan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 643
  • Thank you received: 64
ill take your word on it
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26399

  • Grady Dickens
  • Grady Dickens's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2923
  • Thank you received: 473
Bill,

Don't you think his distance control with his short irons is caused by his steep angle of attack? I didn't watch a lot of Sunday's round, but I did see Tiger airmail the 15th green with a 9 iron. When you are steep like he is your 9 iron can become an 8 or 7 iron because of shaft lean. The club is coming from above the ball to impact so hitting down is a given...why would you want to add more downforce?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26400

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
I would deferr to Bradley regarding the set up of his equipment causing Tiger's swing issues. My point is that Tiger seems to be hitting more fairways with the driver and when he misses it's not off the planet. The courses are so long he would not be able to reach all of the par 5's and that would be a big disadvantage.

The setups today ( except for a few) do not penalyze missed fairways. Bradley posted a video a few pages earlier of the Canadien Open where missing the fairway was a huge problem.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Bill B.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26403

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
Grady,

Absolutely,

I would agree with what your saying for sure regarding distance control he is very steep . My point was that Tiger Driver is more accurate as compared to the past few years and that there is no need to tee off with a 3 wood because he would be at a big disadvantage. His swing fix for the Driver is to hit a cut and it seems to be working. As Bradley pointed out light upright gear may be the source of his issues. It makes you wonder with all of the technology that Nike has why he would not try out heavier flatter gear. I believe I read somewhere that his gear was heavier and flatter when he first came out on tour

When Tiger won all of the Majors when he worked with Haney he was a great front runner was not afraid of any situation Couple that with maybe the best Short Game and putting in the history of golf and you win 6 majors
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #26406

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
One last thing on Tiger. He is certainly one of the top 2-3 players ever so iI really do not have the resume to criticize his swing. I know from my own swing change that learning how to shallow the club is very difficult. I was steep for so long that overcoming these ingrain move has been a huge challenge. I keep working on the drills and my consistency has improved for sure. Just started taking video and I don't see what I am feeling but that is normal. It Took Mr Hogan 20 plus years to find the secret
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26673

  • Bradley Hughes
  • Bradley Hughes's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2140
  • Thank you received: 1223
BillB
Visibly things won't look all that different with a ball there, because the ball being our object of desire, over rides our feels of change. That's why the drills work because over time the body gets trained to a different feel and the ball ultimately ends up getting in the way of that.
The great thing I see in your motion now is how much better things look on the other side of impact... it is all relative and the better you get over there the cosier you will become with what you want to do pre the ball strike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26674

  • Bradley Hughes
  • Bradley Hughes's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2140
  • Thank you received: 1223
bentiger.JPG



interesting comparison of Tiger & Hogan as far as shoulder alignments through the strike with a driver and a mid iron
Shallower entry = more unified body rotation....
Hogan's hips and shoulders match up quite nicely.... Tigers driver snapshot his hips are open and shoulders square.. he is gonna throw that face around with his arms....
he looks more in sequence with the iron as his hips and shoulders match up better and you can see tighter hands to the center and the club head will work around with the continuation of a more unified body turn of hips and shoulders working together which will bring the club with them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26678

  • Bill B
  • Bill B's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 727
  • Thank you received: 114
Bradley Hughes wrote:
BillB
Visibly things won't look all that different with a ball there, because the ball being our object of desire, over rides our feels of change. That's why the drills work because over time the body gets trained to a different feel and the ball ultimately ends up getting in the way of that.
The great thing I see in your motion now is how much better things look on the other side of impact... it is all relative and the better you get over there the cosier you will become with what you want to do pre the ball strike.

Bradley,

There is no doubt that my motion post impact is significantly better. I need to trust the process a nd remember the ball just gets in the way of my new motion.

Thank you for the feedback
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26761

  • tom wald
  • tom wald's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 24
  • Thank you received: 3
Bradley Hughes wrote:
bentiger.JPG



interesting comparison of Tiger & Hogan as far as shoulder alignments through the strike with a driver and a mid iron
Shallower entry = more unified body rotation....
Hogan's hips and shoulders match up quite nicely.... Tigers driver snapshot his hips are open and shoulders square.. he is gonna throw that face around with his arms....
he looks more in sequence with the iron as his hips and shoulders match up better and you can see tighter hands to the center and the club head will work around with the continuation of a more unified body turn of hips and shoulders working together which will bring the club with them.

Bradley,

Nice pictures of Hogan. One thing ive always noticed about his swing is how tightly packed his keeps his arms to his body through impact. Do you think he was actively pressuring his upper arms into his torso to stay so tightly packed through impact?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26763

  • Bradley Hughes
  • Bradley Hughes's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2140
  • Thank you received: 1223
Tom,
Sure he was..... he shows it clear as day in the Ed Sullivan clip saying the elbows are attached and the swing is just around and around and in his book by talking about elbows down at hips....... you can't help but pack the upper arms in with these thoughts or feels.
Take a look at the sequence below from Augusta range session

benonrange.JPG


The big thing I notice here is how minimal the hand travel is from frame 1 to the middle frame. The hands have moved maybe 6 inches at max....yet the clubhead has moved what 4 feet? or more.... that is actively firing the hands and he wanted 3 of the right variety...but it isn't throwing the hands it is rotating them by having a huge range of motion option available in the body.....because the torso/shoulders are closed off (frame 1)....so they have somewhere to go.....
Look at the difference between the shoulders in each frame.... they are the range of motion....the hands and arms stay packed and enjoy the journey without the fear of them overtaking matters.
Even in frame 3 you can see how much the shoulders are still turning around and around, hips have not stopped they are joining in on the procession.
Again the hands have not travelled much whatsoever from left frame to right frame (maybe 18 inches total) and the clubhead has been moved 6-7 feet in radius

This is something we jump straight into in drill 1....to learn to use limited hand travel for a late strike with range of motion options to get the body moving and to STOP swinging the arms and hands void of body action that the poor golfer so enthusiastically wants to do...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26778

  • phily
  • phily's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 548
  • Thank you received: 185
Bradley Hughes wrote:
... elbows are attached and the swing is just around and around ....

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grady Dickens, Bill B

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26781

  • moehogan
  • moehogan's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 914
  • Thank you received: 163
phily wrote:
Bradley Hughes wrote:
... elbows are attached and the swing is just around and around ....


This vid is the bee's knees! Just watch 'em.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by moehogan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26793

  • Mark
  • Mark's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 14
The hooks have disappeared due to the fact his on plane, not under and over consistently like the past. When he was under and over, due to his unstable lower body, he had to drag and flip it.
The reason he is more stable and on it(plane)- Single pivot, hands in path, MORAD swing components.

Sean stole Macs book, and is making money on it, just wont admit it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26794

  • Doug Burke
  • Doug Burke's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2092
  • Thank you received: 403
Bradley Hughes wrote:
Tom,
Sure he was..... he shows it clear as day in the Ed Sullivan clip saying the elbows are attached and the swing is just around and around and in his book by talking about elbows down at hips....... you can't help but pack the upper arms in with these thoughts or feels.
Take a look at the sequence below from Augusta range session

benonrange.JPG


The big thing I notice here is how minimal the hand travel is from frame 1 to the middle frame. The hands have moved maybe 6 inches at max....yet the clubhead has moved what 4 feet? or more.... that is actively firing the hands and he wanted 3 of the right variety...but it isn't throwing the hands it is rotating them by having a huge range of motion option available in the body.....because the torso/shoulders are closed off (frame 1)....so they have somewhere to go.....
Look at the difference between the shoulders in each frame.... they are the range of motion....the hands and arms stay packed and enjoy the journey without the fear of them overtaking matters.
Even in frame 3 you can see how much the shoulders are still turning around and around, hips have not stopped they are joining in on the procession.
Again the hands have not travelled much whatsoever from left frame to right frame (maybe 18 inches total) and the clubhead has been moved 6-7 feet in radius

This is something we jump straight into in drill 1....to learn to use limited hand travel for a late strike with range of motion options to get the body moving and to STOP swinging the arms and hands void of body action that the poor golfer so enthusiastically wants to do...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26804

  • AndyC
  • AndyC's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 185
  • Thank you received: 15
Brian wrote:
Did anyone see On the Range last night on the Golf Channel? They were talking about how Sean Foley and Hunter Mahan are working on getting less bend in Hunter's right arm at impact. They're ultimate goal is to have both arms straight at impact...good luck with that.

Maybe with Mahan's success a lot of golfer's should be trying to get both arms straight at impact.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26807

  • Kenny
  • Kenny's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 5
If I was Tigers caddie i would never let him it driver....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26808

  • Chris Peterich
  • Chris Peterich's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 832
  • Thank you received: 89
I think the best way to copy hogans swing is to buy the one plane swing by Jim hardy. He flat out nails it in this book
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26811

  • Brad Owen
  • Brad Owen's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 113
  • Thank you received: 17
Chris Peterich wrote:
I think the best way to copy hogans swing is to buy the one plane swing by Jim hardy. He flat out nails it in this book

I'm sorry but Jim Hardy and Ben Hogan should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Hogan was no one planer.

I gotta say, Bradley's Drill 3 beats sit ups any day of the week! I'll have slabdominals by the end of march. This crazy Melbourne weather isn't really helping though, crazy hot on the weekend followed by 2 days of torrential rain. I really need to build an air conditioned man cave/practice area.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Brad Owen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26813

Brad Owen wrote:
I'm sorry but Jim Hardy and Ben Hogan should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Hogan was no one planer.

Wrong. Hogan was a one planer according to Hardy's terms which means nothing more nothing less but being on the same plane on top with lead arm and shoulder girdle (or even slightly below). The very term created by Hardy is misleading and one needs to know exactly what he meant. He did not mean that one planer has only one plane -- which would be impossible to perform for a human in a full swing.

BTW, Hardy's explanation on Hogan's secret is certainly worth knowing (mainly because of the intent of having clubhead square to the arc as early as possible after transition) but it was not what Hogan did and how he achieved the goal.

Cheers
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dariusz Jedrzejewski. Reason: sp
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26817

  • Chris Peterich
  • Chris Peterich's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 832
  • Thank you received: 89
Dariusz

Yes jim hardy is a great read, a lot of knowledge in there for all of us. One of my favorite drills was the one where you feel like you are pushing the top of the garbage lid down with your right palm. This should be your down swing/impact feeling that he recommends for one planers. Drill worked great, but my wrists were killing me after playing like this for a few rounds. This is one drill that can really do some physical damage to your body if not monitored.

Chris
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26820

  • tom wald
  • tom wald's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 24
  • Thank you received: 3
AndyC wrote:
Brian wrote:
Did anyone see On the Range last night on the Golf Channel? They were talking about how Sean Foley and Hunter Mahan are working on getting less bend in Hunter's right arm at impact. They're ultimate goal is to have both arms straight at impact...good luck with that.

Maybe with Mahan's success a lot of golfer's should be trying to get both arms straight at impact.

Regardless of what he may be working on Mahan doesnt have his right arm anywhere near straight at impact, it is still very bent. So if someone wants to copy Mahan they would want to work on having the right arm very bent at impact.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #26823

Chris,

Yes, Sir. Luckily, drills may not excist at all for me.
Hardy's Master Class is a very good read, opposite to what many antagonists of one/two plane say.

Cheers
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum