Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28166

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
This weeks tour event - Transition Championship

Sergio ranked 1st in ball striking (1st total driving, 6th GIR's)
Furyk ranked 1st GIR's - 79% (rest of field 65%)

Coincidence given the recent discussion in this thread?
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Brad Owen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28167

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1373
Johnny Miller gives a good anaolgy about how the upper body works for a draw (as I stated in the Furyk pictures)...showing what I believe was the difference for Furyks draw shot and his fade shot and why the palms looked slightly different in those pics I showed a few posts back.
Many don't like Miller because of the way he announces but the guy knew what he was doing and knows a lot more than he is given credit for.....
Listen around the 2.30-3.20sec mark.....it is very good stuff about shot shaping....
also like he talks about learning impact around the 5.20 mark..... one of the very reasons I teach my students drill 1 for starters....so they know what impact should be and how it should be and then we can build things around that

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Pruitt

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28168

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
Brad Owen wrote:
This weeks tour event - Transition Championship

Sergio ranked 1st in ball striking (1st total driving, 6th GIR's)
Furyk ranked 1st GIR's - 79% (rest of field 65%)

Coincidence given the recent discussion in this thread?

No coincidence whatsoever
when the golf course demands some strategy and shot making and rewards solid play these guys should come to the fore....... alas few courses put that demand on the professional fields that often any more as power (and a hot putter) seems to always be a better option than precision.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Bradley Hughes.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28169

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's another guy who knew what he was doing. Calvin Peete was 1st or 2nd in driving accuracy EVERY year from 1980 thru 1990 averaging over 81.5 % of fairways hit for that entire 10 year period !!!! He finished greens in reg leader in 3 of those years also....and it transferred over to a bunch of wins and reward for mastery of getting the ball into play and onto the greens in the correct manner.....no surprises again...very routine method of delivering the club and aligning it on the way into and thru impact in the same manner as all the great ballstrikers before him

cpeete2.JPG

Wonderful closed torso entry with a level turning rotation through the strike and beyond ..... again with a funky pick up backswing and the club pointing well across the line at the top that most people would say is a hinderance and a no-no to a repeatable action

cpeete1.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eyeball

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28170

• Martin Ayers
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 455
Can we get a shout out for Jason Dufner in that regard too?

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28172

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Calvin Peete-- so much for the *** straight *** left arm at impact ! Let' see-- it's his COG. No- the rotational pull . Uh- the right knee ? The shoulders ??
It is time to let the golfing public in on what Gerry Hogan has discovered in his years of research !!

IT IS THE POSITION OF THE HANDS. THE PROPER USE OF THE HANDS ! HERE IT IS RIGHT ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN , but some will still want to make it more complicated than it is !

NO - I am not insinuating that he HIT with his hands !!! THe hands DO NOT hit !

Lane
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28174

• Jerry Starks
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Martin Ayers said.... Can we get a shout out for Jason Dufner in that regard too?

Followed Jason during Friday's round........ he's solid, steady, stoic... and due to break
through soon! He has an endless supply of waggles and he uses them very well!
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Jerry Starks. Reason: added content

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28181

• Drew Chapman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Lane Holt wrote:
Calvin Peete-- so much for the *** straight *** left arm at impact ! Let' see-- it's his COG. No- the rotational pull . Uh- the right knee ? The shoulders ??
It is time to let the golfing public in on what Gerry Hogan has discovered in his years of research !!

IT IS THE POSITION OF THE HANDS. THE PROPER USE OF THE HANDS ! HERE IT IS RIGHT ON YOUR COMPUTER SCREEN , but some will still want to make it more complicated than it is !

NO - I am not insinuating that he HIT with his hands !!! THe hands DO NOT hit !

Lane

Right you are Lane! Instant Simpification: What you intend to do with the Hands dictates what the rest of the body will do. Your focus is on your Hands. However, they must be trained what to do, because what they do naturally is detrimental to your game.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28190

• Lane Holt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Drew,

Your comments interest me. Call me and let's chat .

Lane

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28202

• Diz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
Funny how LD keeps winning with crossover ,hes got a great run going...

Diz

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28218

To Bradley et al,

ANy idea what could be causing straight pull shots with this method? My grip is strongish but nothing crazy.
What are some things to look for. I think I may need to role the club more open in the back swing. Currently I bring it back high and closed ( a la Furyk) and maybe getting to aggressive at impact with a closed face. Also, there is no real draw spin on the ball.

Thx

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28220

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 157
Jerry Starks wrote:
Martin Ayers said.... Can we get a shout out for Jason Dufner in that regard too?

Followed Jason during Friday's round........ he's solid, steady, stoic... and due to break
through soon! He has an endless supply of waggles and he uses them very well!

I'm no Hogan expert, but I saw Dufner's waggle last year against Keegan Bradley and I was like "5 Lessons!"

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28235

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eyeball

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28309

• Bill B
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 121
Good stuff Philly seems like Peete does that forward fall Brian talks about with Hogan.

On a side not I think that is Hal Sutton in background when he was a flat bellie :woohoo:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28325

• Ben Maffitt
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Definately flat belly Hal Sutton in the background back in the days when he was working with Jimmy Ballard.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28410

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 157
Bradley Hughes wrote:
Johnny Miller gives a good anaolgy about how the upper body works for a draw (as I stated in the Furyk pictures)...showing what I believe was the difference for Furyks draw shot and his fade shot and why the palms looked slightly different in those pics I showed a few posts back.
Many don't like Miller because of the way he announces but the guy knew what he was doing and knows a lot more than he is given credit for.....
Listen around the 2.30-3.20sec mark.....it is very good stuff about shot shaping....
also like he talks about learning impact around the 5.20 mark..... one of the very reasons I teach my students drill 1 for starters....so they know what impact should be and how it should be and then we can build things around that

"...that's why I'm announcing."

Vintage Johnny Miller right there. :) Great video.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28518

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
I have posted these before but worth viewing again

DTL--- textbook shallow elbow entry with the shaft being turned through impact from shallow to around... no throw out....pay particular attention to the final two frames of the sequence and what is continuing to move the club and fly it upwards

<gifninja.com/animatedgifs/272285/peter-senior-dtl.gif'>

Face on with an incredible look at the pressures involved in the feet and how the correct body action pulls these forces as they react against the swing of the club

<'gifninja.com/animatedgifs/272297/peter-senior-caddie-view.gif'>

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28520

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
Also saw something interesting on a new commercial for Cleveland irons where they used an Iron Byron machine to film whilst hitting balls...... anyone see anything ?
Thought it interesting because it shows what I like to talk about and see in the swing......I just found it intriguing as Iron Byron is basically a one arm lever machine without a body....but it highlights something interesting that I believe is related to acceleration instead of velocity

machine.JPG
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Bradley Hughes.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28521

• Ted Bradley
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
No club face roll. I wish I could manage this. So hard to break that habit..

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28522

• Bill B
  • Platinum Boarder
First picture toe of club face has not rolled over

Second picture club is pointing to sky (drill 3 rocket launch) acceleration of lever stops clubs flys up

Peter Senor club has disappeared so his body is pivoting ( accelerating) post impact through once this stops clubs flys upwards.
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Bill B.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28523

• Ted Bradley
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bill,

I can't wait for drill 3. I've worked very hard on the first 2, and I am looking forward to continuing along. I've heard it is an excellent drill and I'm excited to watch my swing improve!

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28524

• Chris Peterich
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
Hey brad

I posted this on Doug"s optimal swing thread. After you ever taught or suggested for a player to just focus on an area ( possibly a foot) ahead of ball. Almost like you are forgetting the golf ball, and just focusing on acceleration and avoiding ball bound throwing tendencies. I feel if I block out actual ball, I get practice swing feel..with nice looking angles. Awkward I know, but 2 days in a row with great ball 1st impact and foot 4 to 6 inches after ball. I shallowed my downswing, just thinking about implementing this to increase the angle look. Really focuses you to make nice fluid swing movements

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28525

• Bill B
  • Platinum Boarder
Bradley,

Question for you. I am reading James Dopson new book about Hogan, Snead, Nelson. Curious to hear your thoughts regarding Byron Nelson so your timing of the Iron Byron was perfect.

Byron quit playing ceompetitive golf when he was 34. He won 5 majors and there is litte doubt he would have added to that total if he played into his 40's. He definitely used ground forces and in the book the author talks about him spending 5 years learning a swing that would take the hands out of the swing as the club shafts moved from Hickory to steel.

I love Hogan and have read nearly every book written. His swing is so dynamic and athletic. Not to mention the great dedication it took to come back from the accident. I just wonder why so many people study Hogan and not Nelson.

If you look at their students Nelson would get the nod. Frank Stranhan, Ken Venturi, Tom Watson the most notable. You can add Harvie Ward, Corey Pavin, and Ben Crenshaw ( although Harvey Pennick was his main teacher)

Hogan said if he missed 1 day of practice he needed 3 days to get back to the same level. Nelson once he grooved his swing said he needed very little practice to stay sharp.

For golfers that are not able to practice 6-8 hours your would think Mr Nelson's swing theories would be more popular.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Virgo

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28531

• Bill B
  • Platinum Boarder
Duplicate

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 4 months ago #28533

• Bill B
  • Platinum Boarder
Just hit balls outside of house. Today I suggested to Chris P to let the ball get in the way of the Pivot.

Memo to Bill this stuff works how about following your own advice. Thanks For the advice what a great session of ball striking :) :)
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds