Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33445

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bradley Sir, after watching ur video Plane Shift & Pressures (Part 1) would u categorize Mr. Hogan's swing as inside and over or outside to inside?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33525

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Azmat Lodhi wrote:
Bradley Sir, after watching ur video Plane Shift & Pressures (Part 1) would u categorize Mr. Hogan's swing as inside and over or outside to inside?

Neither, Hogan could be categorized as Inside to Inside, the hosel never breaks the target line plane. You could almost say he was over the top, but from the inside, if that makes any sense.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33526

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
Yes exactly, Over the top is synonymous to inside and over. Cheers

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33558

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1372
JesseV wrote:
Bradley,

I'm getting ready to order an impact bag. Is there a particular one you recommend?

Make one yourself....nice canvas duffel bag filled with old carpet
This makes it nice and heavy but still soft to absorb a strike
The small ones you buy in a golf shop are useless....you will tear them up in no time and spend have your day chasing them around the room and repositioning them

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33561

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
John Hue wrote:
Bradley, I have been going through some of your old posts and Youtube links and a lot of your views are at complete odds with modern ideas of the swing. How do you see the putting stroke? On an arc , on an arc to impact then straight ? How do you see the shoulders working? Do you think the lead or rear hand should be boss?

A putting stroke should be a mini version of the swing......the shaft is on an angle so there should be arc to the stroke
I spent a lot of time trying to get my eyes over the ball...on machines trying to go straight back and straight through....and it was a constant battle
BECAUSE
It was totally foreign......to how I would swing a golf club

When I swing, chip, pitch....my eyes are inside the ball...the club swings around and around ....total opposite to what I was being told to do with my putting stroke.
I putted better when I was younger and had no mechanical thoughts at all except to swing the putter like i swung a golf club...that was natural and was the same view/feel/arc etc

When I watch the very best consistent putters such as Aoki, Locke, Crenshaw, Faxon I don't see anything remotely close to what so many started to teach (Pelz etc).......those guys STRUCK the ball like it was a golf shot...compressed the ball.....brought the same sensation of hitting a golf shot to the putting stroke... even Nicklaus with his rap/pop was hitting a shot...and not trying to putt a ball. Tiger practices a lot with his right hand to pop the ball and release the head and not steer it..... Tom Watson was incredible in his younger days when he used to rap/smack his strike on his putts
Seve & Player & Palmer....they all wrapped downwards on the ball..... like they were hitting a chip/golf shot. I know greens were different then but it was a golf shot...a feel consistent through their bag

As an example I really think if Sergio could learn to rap/strike/compress his putts instead of trying to be perfect he would have had a wonderful (more wonderful) career.... his putting is entirely different to his swing motion and he looks like he has no confidence/feel because of it....he is playing an entirely foreign game on the greens to how he swings and it stands out like dog's
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Bradley Hughes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33577

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190
Bradley wrote:

..... " putting ... eyes inside the ball ... "

Just want to add my agreement. You can see, feel and stroke (arc) on the line with much more comfort and control. I almost like to feel as though I am looking out to the ball and line.
(resting on heels helps with this as well)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33588

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
Ben Crenshaw from overhead-- pure arcing putter motion, with a short follow through... strike of compression

BENCREN.JPG

and a front on view also.....showing how much he swings the putter to the inside and then strikes the ball with a low putter head from an inside back to square path ....to impart top spin ...without having to hit upwards like we are told to do

cren1.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: JesseV

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33618

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
anton wrote:
Jesse, stiffer shafts is one way to get more total weight because generally the stiffer the shaft the heavier it is unless its some kind of composite shaft with exotic materials. if you gonna be doing drills for different parts of the swing it wont really matter how stiff the shaft is as its not gonna be under the same stress as it during real swing but i'm simply guessing here as i'm not familiar with those drills. then when you put it all together and go full speed real swing you might need a stiffer shaft naturally at some point. personally i feel that weaker shafts kill the feel for me, they give kinda blurry feel and especially if combined with very soft head eg soft forged iron heads like mizuno you just get this big buttery blur thru hitting area. if you are overpowering it there is more twisting and bending going on that affects face and trajectory and gives you less control. a stiffer shaft and harsher head would give you more control and more precise feel of the club as well as the face. feel of course is subjective tho.

Anton - after some experimentation I do have to agree with you. its one thing to do some drills with a regular/lighter shaft/club head and then go hit balls with a heavier stiffer shaft/club head.

I recently acquired a set of Wilson 1971 Button backs/stiff shaft and have been swinging those and the '69 Hogan 1+ with regular shafts. I enjoy the feel of both clubs but the Hogans are much lighter feeling to me, I can't feel the club head, than the Wilson's. I cannot get the proper feel when attempting to use both clubs.

Don't get me wrong I love the Hogans, but I think the Wilson's with the stiff shaft are the right club for now. John has mentioned the the Hogan 1+ have a lighter club head. (I wonder if that is true for all Hogan irons? Surely not.) I may sell the Hogans or simply keep them until I can afford to have them re-shafted and the sing weight brought up.

I do feel when actually hitting the Hogans I have to watch how I swing or my shots can be offline, I do attribute some of this to the regular shafts and how they are bending/flexing during the swing.

The Wilson's are nice, I don't feel a lot of over flexing and twisting of the shaft, I can feel the club head and II hit hit nice powerful shots, have even re-gained some lost distance I was concerned about, even though they are still a club shorter than modern shovels and junkolla, thats to be expected though and I'm not so concerned about that now. If I could get my direction and consistency down I'd be good! :blink:

doesn't mean I don't need Bradley or the drills as I've started getting a little steep again and I am way too inconsistent for where I should be and the long hard hours I put into this thing we call golf!

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33619

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
Bradley Hughes wrote:
Ben Crenshaw from overhead-- pure arcing putter motion, with a short follow through... strike of compression

BENCREN.JPG

and a front on view also.....showing how much he swings the putter to the inside and then strikes the ball with a low putter head from an inside back to square path ....to impart top spin ...without having to hit upwards like we are told to do

cren1.JPG

I've always struggled with my putting. I wish that when I had started out I had learned to putt along the lines of Crenshaw. I started the straight back straight through thing and have never putted well. It always felt awkward to me, not natural. It does work for many I guess, just not my cup o' tea.

I have just this year started to putt along the lines of Crenshaw and my putting is better. I feel my actual striking of the putt is much more consistent and it feels very natural.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by JesseV.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33634

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
dunno what Bradley recommends for his drills surely he can tell you that before you start working on them but i reckon you should benefit from artificially heavy clubs even for drills. shaft dynamics of drill vs full swing aside it should still be very beneficial to train with a much heavier club. what i have found thru my own experimentation is that once the club gets heavy enough, and heavy enough would differ for everybody, it makes you engage bigger muscles because you can no longer wave it around like crazy without causing strain and it also brings some weight dynamics at slower speeds which you would probably otherwise miss with a lighter club. the only problem is if it gets heavy enough and you try to get to and handle it at full speed before everything sets in place which is very tempting sometimes you risk tearing or displacing something very easily and its gonna be a bitch to heal. and at the very least it helps you build up and strengthen those forearm muscles.
JesseV wrote:
Anton - after some experimentation I do have to agree with you. its one thing to do some drills with a regular/lighter shaft/club head and then go hit balls with a heavier stiffer shaft/club head.

I recently acquired a set of Wilson 1971 Button backs/stiff shaft and have been swinging those and the '69 Hogan 1+ with regular shafts. I enjoy the feel of both clubs but the Hogans are much lighter feeling to me, I can't feel the club head, than the Wilson's. I cannot get the proper feel when attempting to use both clubs.

Don't get me wrong I love the Hogans, but I think the Wilson's with the stiff shaft are the right club for now. John has mentioned the the Hogan 1+ have a lighter club head. (I wonder if that is true for all Hogan irons? Surely not.) I may sell the Hogans or simply keep them until I can afford to have them re-shafted and the sing weight brought up.

I do feel when actually hitting the Hogans I have to watch how I swing or my shots can be offline, I do attribute some of this to the regular shafts and how they are bending/flexing during the swing.

The Wilson's are nice, I don't feel a lot of over flexing and twisting of the shaft, I can feel the club head and II hit hit nice powerful shots, have even re-gained some lost distance I was concerned about, even though they are still a club shorter than modern shovels and junkolla, thats to be expected though and I'm not so concerned about that now. If I could get my direction and consistency down I'd be good! :blink:

doesn't mean I don't need Bradley or the drills as I've started getting a little steep again and I am way too inconsistent for where I should be and the long hard hours I put into this thing we call golf!

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33636

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
JesseV if you are looking to start up on the drills, get yourself an old 2 or 3 iron, get it bent as flat as you can - 6-7 flat and stick a bunch of lead tape on it to make it heavy. The drills develop the required strength needed in the correct places.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33649

• John Hue
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Bradley, Thank you. The Crenshaw overhead helped a lot. I looked at the putting stroke the way you do but was getting confused by all the different advice out there, Arc with pop feels natural to me so I will stick with it.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33713

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
One of the major keys to controlling low point of the golf swing and therefore eliminating most timing issues is to NOT thrust the right arm into impact and beyond.

Thrusting the right arm will make the clubhead want to strike the turf before the ball, and to not do that we then start to make adjustments to compensate for that occurrence ...such as straight legging to allow the arm to straighten onto the ball...which in turn loses our ground support and tends to make the shoulders stay steep and cease due to standing up into the strike....both these occurrences contribute heavily to clubface closure....as the arms move away from the body.....so timing is difficult to master.

You can see the rapid rate of clubface closure on the clubheads of Tiger & O'Meara compared to Hogan and Miller in this pic below where TW and MO are straightening the arm off and away and BH and JM are bent right armed in closer to the core

rightface_2012-06-21.JPG

The straightening/thrusting rear arm also tends to throw the club off plane on the way through impact.....and if it is happening there , there is a great change it can happen pre impact also

millerwoods.JPG

The misses of the great ball strikers were much less severe because of the bent right arm ..returning to it's almost identical address position...this action supported the club, stabilized lowpoint strike, allowed for an inside approach and made the body turn through better.......so the club path and club face were under MUCH more control......
Everyone is going to miss shots....but it is the margin of the miss that matters and the more supported right arm into and post impact gave those players much greater ball striking control, and they utilized rotation of their torso into and through to not only generate power but to control that power for their distance needs

saved1.JPG

You can really notice how tight the left armpit and right elbow are still to the body core in the above and below pic
When the arm thrusts there is evident disconnection, and forward shaft lean which affects distance & trajectory control....the arms fly away from the body and life becomes much harder day in day out and even shot to shot

saved2.JPG

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33727

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Bradley, just watched your latest vid and recalled something that been hearing a bit about here and at advancedballstriking so called 'Super Slotting'. You obviously got a talent to explain things simple and clear so can you explain that the way you explain other things just to give some general ideas of what it is and how it differs from what you are talking about and demonstrating.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33762

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
Which video. What is the title plz

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33766

• Dan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Azmat - go to Bradley's Youtube channel here:

www.youtube.com/user/GolfAus

The latest video ("Impact") is at the top of the page.

Subscribe to his channel and you'll get notifications when he uploads a new clip.

Hope that helps.
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Dan.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33850

• Eagle006
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi All,

Don't post here often (in fact this is the first time), but want to say what an amazing thread this is. There is so much amazing information contained within, it's quite staggering. Thanks to Bradley for what he is trying to do here and the knowledge he and several other notables have been willing to share. I have spent a long time reading through it all, and have probably only digested 1% of it, but I know it's going to be worth coming through countless more times. It's just a shame certain individuals have tried to ruin it with their own, myopic agendas. I would love to see the thread 'cleaned up' in this regard.

The stuff Bradley is teaching has totally changed my view of the golf swing and I signed up to the drill series a few months back. I don't have as much time for golf as I would like, but have been practicing as much as possible. I am just starting drill two, though am still getting to grips with drill one, on which I had an 'A-Ha' moment tonight. I think I've basically been trying to force the whole thing a bit much, but tonight I got the feeling of really rotating the forearms. I don't want to say too much out of respect for Bradley, but I really feel like I'm pulling the butt of the club towards my left thigh, which helps with this rotation and which keeps the left arms tight and packed and the hands low and left. "Rotate the arms and the body will follow"

On a separate matter, I'm also having a major re-think of my equipment. I've come to realise my irons are crazy upright and am even considering a move to blades, even though (at the moment) I am not what would be considered a good ballstriker. Far from it in fact. The idea of playing with a) very flat clubs and b) blades, scares me a lot though!

Matt
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Eagle006.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33851

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
Eagle006 wrote:
Hi All,

Don't post here often (in fact this is the first time), but want to say what an amazing thread this is. There is so much amazing information contained within, it's quite staggering. Thanks to Bradley for what he is trying to do here and the knowledge he and several other notables have been willing to share. I have spent a long time reading through it all, and have probably only digested 1% of it, but I know it's going to be worth coming through countless more times. It's just a shame certain individuals have tried to ruin it with their own, myopic agendas. I would love to see the thread 'cleaned up' in this regard.

The stuff Bradley is teaching has totally changed my view of the golf swing and I signed up to the drill series a few months back. I don't have as much time for golf as I would like, but have been practicing as much as possible. I am just starting drill two, though am still getting to grips with drill one, on which I had an 'A-Ha' moment tonight. I think I've basically been trying to force the whole thing a bit much, but tonight I got the feeling of really rotating the forearms. I don't want to say too much out of respect for Bradley, but I really feel like I'm pulling the butt of the club towards my left thigh, which helps with this rotation and which keeps the left arms tight and backed and the hands low and left. "Rotate the arms and the body will follow"

On a separate matter, I'm also having a major re-think of my equipment. I've come to realise my irons are crazy upright and am even considering a move to blades, even though (at the moment) I am not what would be considered a good ballstriker. Far from it in fact. The idea of playing with a) very flat clubs and b) blades, scares me a lot though!

Matt

Matt,

Welcome.

Don't be afraid of blades. You'll find your swing will improve even faster using blades over cheater sticks. And I'm sure their are plenty here who could recommend a good blade set for you.

I will tell you, there is no better feeling then a well struck shot off the face of a blade. Conversely - There can be no worse feeling then a poorly struck shot. But, the poor shot is actually not that bad, its just you notice that the shots you don't hit so well don't feel anything like the well struck shot. And there in lies the path to better ball striking. Well , that and following the instruction/training of a good coach like Bradley, John E. or a few others here at SITD.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33852

• Ron Smith
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bradley, that video was pure gold as are you others! It brings together the other videos in your series and really shows you a complete view of the swing. Such a simple explanation of a very complicated motion. I've been watching your videos for about 6 months and found this thread about a month ago.

I must say that knowing that there are two different basic types of swing motions (swinging and hitting) has opened my eyes. I've been a swinger for the last two decades and never could really felt as though I owned my swing. At my best, I've been down to a 9 handicap but didn't know from round to round whether I would shoot 74, 84 or even 94. That was when I played a ton and practiced alot. Too much timing involved with being a swinger. Just look at who missed the cut at this years U.S. Open (Rory, Phil, Bubba and others) and you could tell their swinging timing was definitely off. They go from being Major winners to missing the cut that quickly.

I've been doing a hitters motion for the past 6 months or at least my best attempt at doing it and I am back to a 9 handicap but feel so much more in control on my swing with this hitting motion. I'm hitting more fairways and greens than ever and my misses are either short or short right. No worries about the left side pretty much. Also since timing is less involved with hitting, I can go out cold to the first tee and still have a good idea of where my ball will be going. If I tried that with my old swing and sling, it would take me the first 9 holes to get warmed up (i.e. try to find my timing) if I was lucky. Don't know how many 46/36 rounds I've had.

Big thank you to you Bradley and Lag (ABS).

Eagle006, I went back to blades (always loved them) and set them 6 degrees flat off standard. I thought it would feel weird, but as soon as I set them down to a ball, they felt perfect. It took me zero time to get used to when used with a hitting motion. I was really shocked at how easy it was to get used to. Don't listen to people telling you that only scratch golfers with 120+mph swings can hit blades. You can and will love them. Best of all since nobody plays blades anymore, you can get them used dirt cheap. My set of Hogan Apex blades cost me $3 a club. Another set of blades cost me .99 cents a club. Goodwill is your best friend. Nothing like feathering a 2 iron off the tee 230 yards. Wait till you try a persimmon driver. :woohoo:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33854

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
I would discuss this w/Bradley. See what he says and go from there.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33855

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
Eagle006 wrote:
I had an 'A-Ha' moment tonight. ...... I really feel like I'm pulling the butt of the club towards my left thigh, which helps with this rotation and which keeps the left arms tight and backed and the hands low and left. "Rotate the arms and the body will follow"

Matt

This is what George Knudson referred to as hitting out of the pocket.....hands enter into the right pocket and the motion makes them move left like they are going into the left pocket on the way through
He would know.....and he was an unashamed Hogan nut and fan
Advanced stuff....but very doable with the proper training and understanding

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33856

• Bradley Hughes
  • Platinum Boarder
JesseV wrote:
I will tell you, there is no better feeling then a well struck shot off the face of a blade. Conversely - There can be no worse feeling then a poorly struck shot. But, the poor shot is actually not that bad, its just you notice that the shots you don't hit so well don't feel anything like the well struck shot. And there in lies the path to better ball striking. Well , that and following the instruction/training of a good coach like Bradley, John E. or a few others here at SITD.

The brain NEEDS feedback to be able to acknowledge, analyze and rectify situations........not just in golf but in anything...
If you don't know you mistruck a shot and the feel was almost identical to a well struck shot .... then how can the brain acknowledge a deficiency and utilize the feedback to try advance itself?

We aim to hit the ball out of the middle of the club....and the more we miss the middle and KNOW about it...the more we can advance toward a better motion.... FEEDBACK is everything in our quest for advancement....especially when we practice

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33880

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
Just curious. I know most of you advanced guys know this already, and I should also, but.... How open should the hips be at impact?

Was at the range today and it seemed the more I rotated my hips open before impact the better I struck the ball. For clarification, I have always had a stall out and I am working on body/hip rotation and it seemed the more I was able to rotate the hips open the better I struck the ball. I don't think I'm talking spin out of hips, hopefully I was rotating them open.

If any of that makes any sense. :S

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33898

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Dan I saw it. Its brilliant, but i had a nightmare today trying to do it on course. Lost a wager to a friend. Hehe
TC

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 1 month ago #33921

• John Hue
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Bradley Hughes wrote:
One of the major keys to controlling low point of the golf swing and therefore eliminating most timing issues is to NOT thrust the right arm into impact and beyond.

Thrusting the right arm will make the clubhead want to strike the turf before the ball, and to not do that we then start to make adjustments to compensate for that occurrence ...such as straight legging to allow the arm to straighten onto the ball...which in turn loses our ground support and tends to make the shoulders stay steep and cease due to standing up into the strike....both these occurrences contribute heavily to clubface closure....as the arms move away from the body.....so timing is difficult to master.

You can see the rapid rate of clubface closure on the clubheads of Tiger & O'Meara compared to Hogan and Miller in this pic below where TW and MO are straightening the arm off and away and BH and JM are bent right armed in closer to the core

[ ]
Bradley, Do you see pitching and chipping of mini versions of your full swing which is pivot/body controlled going through impact? I have started working on Drill 1 and broke it up with some mini pitching and chipping in the garden. I was previously a bit of an arm thruster with my chipping and pitching but was trying to incorporate your pivot action in as a way of working on Drill 1 with less independant hand and arm motion and more pivot involvement. It was different but I was getting good results. I can do both pretty well but there is a case for sameness. Do you and John recommend making your short game shots on the same lines as your full swing and do you have a module on short game?
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds