Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34831

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1414
peter_senior.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34839

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is another view...I know one is a driver and one is an iron but it really makes little difference............

Donald doesn't load the club centripetally in at transition....and as a result his right side is not as far enough behind or turned away from the ball....Donald is more on top of it....than Hogan is.... it's gonna produce different things into and post impact

lukehogan.JPG

That move which my guys get to work on in drill 4 and 5 is a loading into the slot....for a shallower club approach and keeping a greater range of motion in the body to use LATER

Difference.....big no no to try keep the shaft on plane coming down.....

lukedbendown1.jpg

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34849

• svsvincenzo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 100
Centripetally in at transition? Ext rot of R shoulder?

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34850

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
Here are some altered pictures, cut from Bradley's posting of the Senior sequence that tickles my pickles....Dodge City lingo for impresssive.

I blacked out, not from over drinking, an area showing the entry line into the zone and how he is bowing down to it, paying tribute to an attack angle if you will. Solid stuff me reckons.

senior.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Festus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bradley Hughes

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34851

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Here is a great view of transition to impact...of Hogan

I couldn't do any post impact shots because a big Hogan golf ball flies at the screen....but interesting view.. I like the shallowing down and the last two frames particularly.

Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Bradley Hughes.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34853

• Diz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 142
when i put my cursor on his head it looks like it retreats back and up...cant tell if the camera is steady

diz

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34855

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 610
Diz,

That is interesting on the head moving back and up. It is clear that it moves...it isn't just the camera angle...you can see it in reference to the tree...unless this is multiple swings patched together which I doubt. Part of it might be his age. I suspect he is 70 here...damn good swing at that age. But this angle also might reveal this little bit of head movement that we just couldn't see from the other side. With the left knee going from a position of extreme flex to virtually straight (which again might be a function of age...I think he retained more flex when he was younger) your head is bound to move some.

The head moves around in the golf swing...at least that is what Knudson said.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34864

Give me the rest of his move and I'll live with backing out an inch and a half or so.

Good catch Diz.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34874

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I am excited to get these comments from John in the ABS public Hogan thread and am plastering them all over SITD. This seems like it fits right in with Bradley's recent posts:

GoingLowStills.jpg

Here is Nfbandon's recent action he sent me this morning. I think it is relevant to the discussion. We can see how open the face is at P3, and how quick and powerful the torso rotates level to square up the face. I often hear arguments that tall players must be forced into upright gear, but I think NF is about 6-4 and working a pretty flat shaft into impact as Hogan did.

We have been working on lowering his COG by adding more knee flex into impact.

The general action of Hogan isn't a big mystery. He worked the shaft from flat and open at P3 into impact via aggressive torso and forearm rotation. NF's clubface is not flipping over post impact because of the accelerating torso action. It's still pressuring the club post impact pinning the face open with force and pressure. There is no stall going on here.

This isn't about positions, it's about dynamic motion. The video of this swing in full speed looked excellent. You can't contrive or pose these positions and expect good results. Notice how fast the shoulders have turned from impact to the next frame.

Hogan's shoulders would typically be a bit more open at impact, but not more open at P3. This is because Hogan had incredible torso rotational acceleration through and post impact even into his finish. This is why I really drill module 3 as much as possible... because the better you do that.. the better you are going to compress the golf ball. The more inner the strike becomes. This is exactly why the golf swings from the last generation are far superior to what we typically see in most of today's pro swings.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34875

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190
(I've got that one, little big to post/load but here it is)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34900

• Ted Bradley
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great! I'm working towards losing that flip and roll as well. I'm hoping to be showing off pics of my own swing in the next few months.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34907

• Dave
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 42
To me, that sequence screams "fully released* club", but I guess we can all see different things in it :-)

* Note I say "released", not "flipped" or "thrown". :-)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34910

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
Great GIF Phily, thanks for posting.

Looks like he is adding weight to the shaft within the first movement away. Looks like he is pressuring it down a touch....maybe more downward than inward. Not sure what these eyes see anymore. :laugh:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34917

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
(thnx Fest)

Anybody notice the little step with the forward foot.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34927

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
here is little video posted on Gotham Golf Blog recently. i think this guy is spot on on knee action but would like to hear some thoughts from Bradley if possible. the guy is a former national coach of Australia.

Tour Pro's weight shift techniques
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by anton. Reason: URL edit
The following user(s) said Thank You: svsvincenzo

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34930

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
Anton,

Great video (same's been on my mind lately). On the 'Ballstrikers' thread I posted a gif of Hogan and even though it is a face on view I thought his knee action was notable. I wanted to say something about it there since the one time I really 'owned it' (then promptly 'lost it') I really remember my knees working or feeling much like that Hogan gif.
(There's even a similar video to yours here where Paul Kopp is working with Elk on the right knee working behind the left - based on his "The Sequence" video).

So, yeah - I would also like to hear what Bradley thinks.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34931

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
This was a good video. For me I like to feel the left hip go left, but the right hip hold in terms of its space "out" until delivery. I don't know if I agree with the bump of the right knee into the left to start. I like to feel like I am riding that horse a little bit. Its like people think the pivot is one thing. There are stages in my mind. The move of the left hip and knee are part of transition, while the work of the right side comes later. It's like the left side move and addition of knee flex gets you to p3 where the hands are essentially back to the ball, but the club is still behind you. Then you just give it the gas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve P

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34943

• Eagle006
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Very interesting video and like you guys would love to hear Bradley's thoughts on it. Is the driving of the right knee inwards he talks about similar to the drill 2 pinch for example?

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34948

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
I don't know that I would call 'driving the R knee into the pocket on the L knee' what I like to sense. I like Grady's feel and description. For my nickle, it feels like transitioning is all about sitting down, which levels out the thighs on the same line they had at address....then you go. :)
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Festus.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34972

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
It is a pretty good video......gives some good thoughts on how the lower half can dictate the top half

I myself wouldn't be trying to actively drive anything.....I believe it is more the pressure down the right leg that helps keep things in sequence. I would prefer to feel things in my feet instead of thinking knee
If you push down the right leg around transition (or feel the force down)...then the left knee and hip systematically counter balance by going left....balance naturally ...as it's our instinct to counter balance and not fall on our face. Then the driving happens later...so the left knee and hip can get where he mentions (into a stopping point as far as lateral) without having to drive anything....If you drive there then it gives the motion a sense of not been able to drive again,,,,so things will stop near impact with the lower range of things and the top half is want to take over.
I think many people can still get in trouble by actually driving anything in the swing, (knees,arms, hands), especially the poorer golfer who has not much control of things or can save himself by making little alterations along the way...... it's opposite forces of working one way (feeling the force of one direction) that really enables many parts of the swing to move in the other direction....force against force, holds things in place.
And driving the knee is all relevant to how much torso rotation you have in place....if you have minimal rotation and lift the arms and then drive the knee then things will not work out as planned and like wise if you have lots of torso rotation
I think what he says would work great for someone who has a decent amount of turn and keeps his hands reasonably short on the backswing....
A good video however as he explains something that should happen

Here is a few pics of me at Pebble hitting a driver from 18th tee (2002 I think)....poor quality and not a time in my life when I was swinging my best...but gives a decent enough look of the down happening, before the forward of the right knee occurs.... we should be feeling behind if we want to drive forward...

pebble18.JPG
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Bradley Hughes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anton, Steve P

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #34980

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I have received a few requests to join my private group for drill one and drill two

Just remember this is for my students ONLY......so we can discuss amongst ourselves our learnings, insights

If you do send a request...I need verification via a message or a friend request...so I know exactly who you are before I can approve access....because some people don't have their real name as their forum name so I have to confirm that first

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #35011

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Bradley, fellows, thanx for your comments, makes sense to me, and i'm glad you liked the video! feels like i hit wedge shots that way but not sure it feels the same for longer clubs but gonna need to experiment with this further. it seems to me that getting this to work correctly can have a huge impact on low point control as well.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #35026

• steven grace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
i would appreciate any thoughts from Bradley re this brief lesson i watched in the 80's ...i was on the range at La Costa Tourn of Champions here in Calif and was a few feet from Trevino giving Jerry Heard a lesson..Lee was telling him "Jerry you can't go down to hit it ...you have to flex up to hit it..been telling you that for years.." i was a young college kid at the time and didn't ask Lee to comment further plus i didn't want to interrupt them but i always wondered what he meant??

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #35044

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Steven,

I look forward to Bradley's response. Bradley did the following video on Player, which I also put up in my thread (you might want to read through it cause we are kind of touching on this UP idea over there):

!

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #35067

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
As I remind myself that the first 100 years of a person's life is always the hardest, I just want to say 'you are a good egg Bradley Hughes', and thank you for the many and often fine moments you share with us that like to twirl the baton.
Time to create page: 0.451 seconds