Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35397

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
An absolute genius he was. Its not easy to win 3 opens. He also won the Masters twice. Total professional wins 91. Scored 22 1/2 points in Ryder cup. Only a great short game player can have such a record and thats why Tiger, Nicklaus and Snead had so many wins coz they were/are amazing scramblers. Walter Hagen said, you can play 3 bad shots and still make par on a par-4.

As for your wedge issue, Anton, I think this just like a temporary phase and you will get over it. Its mostly psychological. I at times get so fearful of my chipping and pitching i keep it hittin chili dippers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35398

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
Cmon guys. someone tell me about Hogan Decade clubs. I played them on the ranger yesterday. they are coming along ok

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35399

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1389
Azmat Lodhi wrote:
Cmon guys. someone tell me about Hogan Decade clubs. I played them on the ranger yesterday. they are coming along ok

It is not so much the club itself...it is how it is setup that is the benefit

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35402

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Gary Player Interview 2001

gpswinghogan.JPG

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35404

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder
Then which blades would u recommend Bradley?

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35405

• Azmat Lodhi
  • Senior Boarder

Excellent footage of trevino. Squat compression, loop, (may be his rt hand is also in a position, which bradley suggests).

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35406

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Azmat Lodhi wrote:
Then which blades would u recommend Bradley?

Like he said three posts ago, it's not so much what blade you use, it's how it's set up. Needs to be flat in lie angle, stiff shaft, and heavy (deadweight and swingweight)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35439

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
scan0001.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drew Art, Azmat Lodhi, Steve P

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35445

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
Nice Hugo, where do you find these articles? Gold nuggets time after time!

PS. When can I expect the royalty check for my performance in the Drill 6 vid, ha ha :laugh: Honestly though, it was great to see the difference between the two, the before swing look horrid in comparison to what it is now!

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35467

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
few pages ago we talked about Ben Hogan club specs and how nobody seems to care or able to measure them. well, turns out all you have to do is find right people and ask them nicely and someone just done that so check it out, real specs as measured on two of his sets at USGA Museum. kudos to Jeff Martin @ http://jeffygolf.com for doing that.

Scan8.jpg

Scan9.jpg

full discussion thread here http://jeffygolf.com/showthread.php?398-Ben-Hogan-s-iron-specs-some-myths-busted
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by anton. Reason: attach scans
The following user(s) said Thank You: Drew Art

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35468

• Brad Owen
  • Expert Boarder
I'd take anything Jeff Martin says with a grain of salt. The guy is a shit stirring clown, who has been banned from SITD. Looking at those numbers anyway, for someone who was a perfectionist like hogan, they seem a little random to me

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35470

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 624
Thanks, Anton!!

Good to know that Time Magazine 1949 also confirms the secret as 1947...

Mid september.

I am happy to see this information come to light.

the precision Exploder is a real heavy flange SW. Not real surprising Hogan wanted that super short.

Check the 0* loft on the putter. That is a huge surprise. 10-11 degrees flat putter from modern standard.
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Drew Art.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35471

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Swingweight is an entirely different specific to overall weight. With the long hosels those clubs are going to be heavy in total weight

David Frost, Nick Faldo, Tom Wishon and others have all held Hogan's clubs and stated his equipment was super heavy, super flat and the shafts felt like crowbars.

Tschetter stated Hogan's driver was among the 'heaviest' driver ever measured by the USGA.. (and I am not talking about his weighted practice club....his real driver)

The lie angle measurements of the irons stated are still all around 5-6 degrees flat of today's standards taking shaft length and lofts into consideration (as Richie3 states in his response)

I prefer to hear real accounts from stud golfers such as Frosty and Faldo as to how the clubs measured up to their terms when they held them, swung them.... (frosty played Hogan clubs for years and knew him well)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35472

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
The Burke all weather cord grips hogan used were 2 inches longer than modern grips, add the wire (coathanger maybe?) for the reminder rib, and you have a decent amount of back weighting that would increase total weight and reduce SW.

One thought occurs - it is possible Hogan was trying to match his set by first moments of inertia. He mentions in power golf that Bobby Jones' set was measured for MOI after his playing career and found that he had assembled a very closely matched set through one at a time selection (except for one club, IIRC). Could be he was just going for a feel matched set.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35477

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
David Frost article: 'clubs too flat and too stiff.....don't hit ball with your backswing....sound familiar

frost.JPG

Also a Mark O'Meara encounter:.... both Frost and MO were Hogan equipment players in 80's

mo.JPG

And Crenshaw hitting bit wide flares to the right with Hogan's clubs after shooting a 65 at Colonial.
The only reason good players will hit big flare right and shanks are when the clubs are too stiff and too flat and they don't have rotational forearm strength to square the face up from the shallower approach

crenshaw.JPG
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Bradley Hughes.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35484

Bradley or any one else, do you have any suggestions on how to set up or order flatter lies on metal woods? Are any mfg'rs making flatter lies woods?

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35485

• John B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Bradley or any one else, do you have any suggestions on how to set up or order flatter lies on metal woods? Are any mfg'rs making flatter lies woods?

Steve, for fairways go here: wishongolf.com/designs/fairway-woods/929hs/

Can be bent +or- 4 degrees
Have the 3 and 5 wood and they are HOT

JB

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35494

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
@Brad O
so do you reckon he just photoshopped them scans with made up numbers? why would someone do that and whats the point anyway?! i agree some numbers look kinda funny like the difference between 2 and 3 iron lofts is 1 degree but that doesnt mean anything.

@Bradley
unfortunately no info surfaced so far on deadweight. as i've mentioned before on this thread Mr Burke here confirmed to me Hogan personal clubs were heavy and flat. there are enough accounts of various credible people who actually held them to not question that but the question is how heavy and how flat exactly they were. one piece of information i did manage to find was about Precision 3w he owned and played which he later gave to Tommy Bolt and its specs read

The length is 42"
The shaft-flex is X
The swing weight is D4
The static weight is 14.3 oz

Bolt might have customized it to his liking or not that i do not know. other than that i have never ever seen any measured deadweights of his clubs mentioned anywhere, only anecdotal evidence and so on.

@Drew
i remember that part in Power Golf and i think it could be something along those lines. funny thing is the man owned golf gear manufacturing company and one would think that the clubs made for him were handpicked heads, shafts etc with measurements for tolerances and consistencies done to select them. like you see Miura heads that are within 1g range of their manufacturer specs. surely Hogan company in its heyday made more clubs than that and maybe tolerances were to match volumes but for the best staff player and the owner you'd think that his components would be handpicked. then you see a picture of his bag and some of his irons have lead tape on them and some dont. so either he was getting inconsistent wide tolerance components from his own company or he was trying to match his clubs by his feel whether or not it made sense to him scientifically.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35495

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
look for long hosel versions they can be bent quite a bit. they would be either older models or tour issue heads. generally they can bend quite a bit without the need to torch them or such. again, generally the longer the hosel the more they can bend. my 3w is 6 degrees flat but its an older jdm high quality materials model with reasonably long hosel, ymmv.
Steve Hjortness wrote:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35496

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
Anton -

His 1953 set appears to be the MacGregor Ben Hogan Personal Model Reg. 1622.

His Practice set is some variation of the Ben Hogan Co. Precisions. If I had to give a wild ass guess, mine would be that he went by look and feel and probably changed a LOT.. He probably had a lot of practice clubs too, so who knows if he only had one "set". I know the reports say he did a lot of personal testing.

So for a skilled feel player, he may have been a pretty good "feel-matched" set that at least felt pretty close to what it would be if it were matched to "swing the same" across the set. The lie angle progression from very flat in long irons to more normalish also matches what Fats said he learned from Bolt.

A quote from fats about the graduated lie angles: "...the whole idea was to get the shaft coming at you the same way at address...it always made sense to me but you should hear golf club companies and golf repair guys laugh at that idea...LOL The reason he liked stiffer shafts was because he wanted no droop or as little as possible...he also did not want to feel any bending of the shaft under his grip...he was a leader in developing a larger butt diameter. Basically...his methods were the difference between a Nascar machine and a retail street model car. "

I'm not ready to write off the measured USGA specs, strange as they seem. There is a lot of mythology around Hogan, and he didn't correct people very much. He let them be wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anton

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35497

• JesseV
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
I second Brad Owens comment about Jeffy.... jeffy is well known on the internet, do your research and find out for yourself why Brad O said what he said and why i second it.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35499

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
Drew, thats an interesting comment and quote tho i dunno who 'fats' is. I just sent an email to Robert Alvarez
the USGA Museum Collections Manager asking to verify the authenticity of those scans. If i do get a reply i post it here and if not then its everybodys guess.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35501

• Grady Dickens
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 600
Drew,

That is adman heavy 3 wood. I have access to Hogan Foundation clubs and need to go have a look for myself. As I posted over on ABS, Lindy Miller, the Foundation President, says they are veryflat and stiff. He didn't have an opinion on "heavy."

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35519

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
if you get a chance to take scales with you and weight them that would be great. if you dont have proper digital scales simple kitchen scales should do just fine. opinion on heavy are like opinion on tasty, dont do much good.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 2 months ago #35532

• John B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
About a year ago Martin and JH tested one of Hogans personal drivers.

He had given it to a member of Shady Oaks who had replaced the shaft.

Shaft was just over 'stiff' when tested on cpm machine so would have been a little lighter than original.

O/A Length was 43 5/8"

Swingweight D6

O/A weight just under 15 oz

They used new tour balatas 100 comp and used a modern driver fitted with a Nunchuck as a comparison.

His longest drives came with the Hogan driver!

Great testament to Martin's ball stricking I thought :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: anton
Time to create page: 0.616 seconds