Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36322

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190

Bradley,

Speaking about your video again, what a great way to understand the 'lateral' shift also, as opposed to those who want to explain it in isolation or just say 'slide your hips toward the target' etc. like it's some seperate component.

When you were breaking down the left arm / left shoulder over on the 'Ballstrikers' thread I thought how some of that upper left arm / left shoulder turn is really relying on a decent amount of lower lateral shift to be in place or to be occurring if you are going to effectively capture (or at least maximize) it.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by phily.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36335

Once and for all -- for all people of good will as well as to quiet retarded trolls -- Newton formulated three laws of motion. According to the 3rd one, when two bodies interact by exerting force on each other, these forces are equal in magnitude, but opposite in direction.
Golfer pressuring the ground is one body while the Earth is the other. The Earth (ground) exerts the same pressure on a golfer's feet as golfer's feet pressure the ground.
Uneducated people hardy understand how it works because they cannot imagine that the effect are different because forces are put to completely different objects (golfer and the Earth).
The expressions "the ground forces" or "the ground pressures" are entirely correct from the scientific point of view.

Bradley, go ahead with your great thread.

Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben Maffitt

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36338

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81
Dariusz Jedrzejewski wrote:
The expressions "the ground forces" or "the ground pressures" are entirely correct from the scientific point of view.

Bradley, go ahead with your great thread.

Cheers

How about the "air forces" or "air pressures"? That is also scientific! Right? ;)

How about the "ball forces"? The force that you apply to the ball. That is definitely scientific.
How do you control your "ball force" using your "ground forces" and "air forces"? ;) :)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36339

You know...trolls can have some future when the're intelligent and know backgrounds a bit. It's not the case with you. Have you ended any grades in school, at least, primary one ?

There are air forces, ball forces, shoe forces whatever you call one of the two interacting bodies. Usually, forces are being named taking into account more prevalent and infinite objects, such as ground, air, water. Have you ever flied by plane ? If yes, you could do it because of air forces and air pressures. Google these notions and you'll be able to feel as you can pass from 5th to 6th class in the primary school.

Last but not least, get lost troll.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36342

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
You know...trolls can have some future when the're intelligent and know backgrounds a bit. It's not the case with you. Have you ended any grades in school, at least, primary one ?

There are air forces, ball forces, shoe forces whatever you call one of the two interacting bodies. Usually, forces are being named taking into account more prevalent and infinite objects, such as ground, air, water. Have you ever flied by plane ? If yes, you could do it because of air forces and air pressures. Google these notions and you'll be able to feel as you can pass from 5th to 6th class in the primary school.

Last but not least, get lost troll.

Thanks Comrade Dariush Zejewski! ;) You've "macro" intelligence in Sagittal Plane Compression! :laugh:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36343

• Mike Maves
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 186
Cy,

Please refrain from posting in this thread any more.

Mike

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36344

I could and I should write a tirade here, but I won't because I respect Mike, Elk and Bradley who owns this thread. I will tell you only that in the times people were forced to call each other "comrades" and you would have met "comrades" you'd simply have prayed to be unborn.
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Mike Maves.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36347

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
Mike Maves wrote:
Cy,

Please refrain from posting in this thread any more.

Mike

No problem Mike. But I think criticism and counter arguments should be OK in public forums. Otherwise each thread will turn into a "political" or "religious" platform dominated by demagogues! :)

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36348

But I think criticism and counter arguments should be OK in public forums.

Counter arguments ???? You ??? You probably cannot end primary school and somehow someone taught you how to distinguish letters and press buttons ROFL.

Get lost once and for all.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36355

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1432
This actually works.....Nearly every topic has been started in the same manner

newtopic.JPG

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36357

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
wabi_sabi wrote:
@Bradley

You mention the downword pressurising of the right leg . . . is it good to feel an opposite pressure by the left AGAINST the right . . . or maybe the other way around (is this posting the left). You've also mentioned your a fan of lifting the left heel on the BS . . . do you feel an overt sequencing link between the replant of the left heel/counter balance of the left leg and the drop into the slot ? then a pressurising of the left to drive more out of the right before moving more left into PV5?

Also . . . how much of yout post impact feeling of the wieght is a CCW grind of the Left foot?

I don't believe we want to be pressuring into the left leg as this prohibits torso rotation. We will certainly feel pressure into that left leg as you stated by using it as a post or balance point....but we really need to build and maintain torso rotation with the backswing and transition so the range of motion of our body has somewhere to go

pressures_2012-08-18.JPG

We only need to look at the picture above (hands are in same position of downswing relative to mid torso region).... to see the guy on the left is too much left sided and his torso is pointing at the ball already and the shaft has been moved away from the body....the guy on the right has more pressure in his right foot/leg and is balancing around his left leg and saving torso rotation (belly button is pointing back past rear of ball to be used later in the swing/release..... the guy on the right is deeper into the slot and can make the body move the club through....which enhances power and creates more precision

The left foot/heel is a great point. Most great ball strikers lifted the left heel up on their backswing and then replanted it in transition.....why?...... so it gave them a bigger range of motion in their torso and the feeling of heading left with the lower body with the replant but keeping their mass behind the ball and torso closed off ... so the slot became easier....the shaft/clubhead approached more from the inside... and they had somewhere to go with their body ad connection from closed and behind to eventually around and up and forward
Keeping the left heel planted in the backswing just seems to get too much weight over the ball sooner than we really want so the body stalls as it has to wait for the arms/hands/club to be flung a bit to play catch up.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36360

• Cy
  • Platinum Boarder
But I think criticism and counter arguments should be OK in public forums.

Counter arguments ???? You ??? You probably cannot end primary school and somehow someone taught you how to distinguish letters and press buttons ROFL.

Get lost once and for all.

Mike, looks like this guy has a secret pass! :laugh:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36362

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
two strikes

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36365

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
I posted this on another thread but wanted to bring it over here also as it is very important.......

footpressures_2012-08-18.JPG

footpressures1_2012-08-18.JPG

purtzer11_2012-08-18.jpg

purtzer22_2012-08-18.jpg

And as I mentioned in that video and in some posts the weight feels like it is being pushed down the right ankle. If you push down the right ankle this is where the pressures would show up in a study like this

rightankle_2012-08-18.JPG

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36366

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
If we maintain (or increase) the pressure in the right foot for LONGER as shown here in the pics that I have added extra right foot pressure.........

rightfootextra.JPG

Then we get this 'appearance' that Hogan, Player, Norman etc showed in their footwork as the right foot is resisting with even greater pressure until it eventually gives out to the accelerating pivot and gets dragged as a result of providing such opposition to the working pivot action

We hardly see it in any players today because they are instructed to get their pressures and weight left too soon.......
remember to create force we need an opposing force or pressure to work against
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Bradley Hughes.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36367

• DaveJaVu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 133
Not sure if you've seen this
www.bbcmotiongallery.com/gallery/clip/48...keywords=ben%2Chogan

Has a great sound of Ben Hogan's impact and Alice Baur's swing has to be seen to be beleived. :ohmy:

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36386

• ozco
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bradley Hughes wrote:
If we maintain (or increase) the pressure in the right foot for LONGER as shown here in the pics that I have added extra right foot pressure.........

rightfootextra.JPG

Then we get this 'appearance' that Hogan, Player, Norman etc showed in their footwork as the right foot is resisting with even greater pressure until it eventually gives out to the accelerating pivot and gets dragged as a result of providing such opposition to the working pivot action

We hardly see it in any players today because they are instructed to get their pressures and weight left too soon.......
remember to create force we need an opposing force or pressure to work against

2:56 was very Norman'esque. If you hadn't mentioned that was you, I would have guessed that was the Shark.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36402

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
De- weighting in transition is precisely what is going to then increase pressure significantly into the ground.
The more weight is going into the right ankle, the more pressure the right foot is going to receive and
the more real GRIND that right foot is going to make as it squeezes toward the left.

The main thing to understand is that we don't just passively slide the right foot over without pressure.. Ideally we want that right foot really tearing up some turf.. and it can only do that if there is vertical pressure present in it. If all the weight has gone left too early, then we lose our ability to create that foot pressure which ultimately is going to supply the torso with resistance so it can pressure against an opposing force.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36422

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Uploaded today to my channel-- rare Gary Player swing videos-- one of my golfing heroes in many ways.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36430

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 168
Bradley, the more i think about it the more i like your explanation about pressures. i think weight shift is a flawed concept for this and more of an effect than the cause. maybe 'stride' is better concept for it, like in baseball hitting. i know Ben Hogan for one talked about it in terms of weight shift and he practiced on that swing speed machine and said the faster he could get left the faster club head speed it would get him. difference is Hogan knew HOW to get left, his body knew how to get left. he did talk about pressure in the right foot tho. in Power Golf he mentions that if he wanted to get a bit of extra power he would dig with his right foot then push off it on the downswing just before impact. 'decided push' is what he wrote. now you cant push off anything if you dont maintain pressure there, right. and then it all comes back to the navel/chi point/belly button or whatever people like to call it and how it moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bradley Hughes

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36431

• Donald R
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Thanks for the video about pressuring into the right foot and subsequent posts by other members.

As an average or typical golfer the subject of how to transfer the weight effectively has always interested me.
What I got out of written instruction before joining SITD was to start the downswing by planting my left heel and slide and turn the hips as fast as I could. I tried this for along time thinking the less then stellar results were my mis-understanding of the instruction or I needed more practice. But another possibility is that some instruction skims over the subject and leaves important nuances completely out of it.

Maybe this is wrong headed that I have a notion that from the start of the downswing if I think of pressuring into the left instep at the same time I automatically get the pressuring into the right leg. Of course this is only an initial thought and because of the hip and shoulder rotation the pressure rolls across the bottom of the left foot with the weight ending up at the finish on the outsole and heel of my left foot.
I am not claiming this counters what you have said but is my round about way of doing what you advocate.

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36432

• Ben Maffitt
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 31
Bradley,
The video you posted a couple of days ago that gets into creating pressure down the right leg into the right ankle has been a huge help to me. It really helps to get rid of the lateral slide I have had for a good while in my lower body that was causing me to have to make a number of compensating moves to hit good shots.
I agree with Anton that what you are talking about has a great deal of baseball swing similarities. All the great baseball hitter (such as Williams, Aaron, Musial, Alex Rodriquez) pushed hard down their right leg as they started their stroke. When as baseball hitter is considered "off stride" and struggling to get hits, it is often because they get all their weight on the left leg too early.
The same is true with baseball pitchers. The great ones (Koufax, Gibson, Nolan Ryan, etc.) all made a hard push down their right leg (Koufax's left leg) to start their arm/pitch towards the plate. Once again, when they are struggling to throw strikes, they are often "off stride"

Many thanks for all you have posted on this thread and the insight you continue to provide.

Ben
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bradley Hughes

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36452

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
@Don
Too right....everyone can and may have a different feel. That is why I teach the way I do. I show people what to train as far as the muscular working so it becomes a tangible feel..... how they think of it in their own terms is entirely up to them .I just offer my insights if they ask.
Ideally in the long term my students end up having nothing to really think about when they swing.... the swing just happens... as they have felt and done it over and over and over again until it melts into their subconscious and the ball just gets in the way of the dynamic motion they are creating in a sequential sequence or kinetic activity
They don't have to tinker or go off the charts..... they end up knowing by where the balls initial start path is and how the balls flight path is to establish what went awry....and then go back to the drill motion related to it to solve the problem.
After a while a student with that knowledge shouldn't hit the same poor/average/bad shot twice in a row as the remedy is in their body/awareness/back pocket
If I hit a push or a pull or slice I go back to drill one.
If I hit a hook I go to drill two and three.
If I get steep on a divot I go to drill four and five
If I hit one fat or thin go to drill one and five

No need for guesswork or major surgery....just a little dose of the right medicine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Donald R

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36495

• Bradley Hughes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder

Here is a great video showing pressures and forces work into the ground .... this is a 5 iron from a fairway bunker by one of the most consistent ballstrikers of the past 30 years...Peter Senior

Re: Bradley Hughes- The Golf Swing 2 years 3 months ago #36560

• John
  • Fresh Boarder
Update: After my last post I promised an update after my attempt to qualify for my state's senior amateur. From the tee I hit 9 of 14 fairways. Never really out of position on any tee shot. Hit 11 of 18 greens. Failed to get it up and down 5 of those 7 misses. 34 putts. What really hurt me was taking an 8 on a par 5 when I had a wedge from 80 yards left for my 3rd shot. Flipped the club, ball over green, crap lie leads to flubbed pitch, then a 3 putt for an 8. Shot 79.

The cut was 76.

But, the stuff that I have gotten out of Brad's YouTube vids and what I've gleaned from this thread has helped immensely.

BTW. I played with a gentleman who was probably 65 years old, or older. Didn't want to ask. I consistently out drove him by 30 to 40 yards. He shot even par 72. Made it look easy. One of the best short games I've played with in quite some time.
Time to create page: 0.567 seconds