Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Honoring the fallen heros - Marines run 100 miler

Honoring the fallen heros - Marines run 100 miler 1 year 10 months ago #32599

• Drew Art
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 617
Dear friends,

On May 26, my coworker and fellow golfer Dan is running 100 miles with a non-profit organization he co-founded called "Always Brothers" with the purpose of honoring a fallen fellow Marine that he served on Presidential Guard duty with (Capt. Tyler Swisher) in the 1990s, in addition to raising money for the education funds of his three children.

Here's a note from Dan:

"Tomorrow, Saturday May 26th, my fellow Marines and I will set out to run 100 miles from our friend's hometown of Mariemont, OH (just outside of Cincinnati) to Columbus, Ohio--the hometown of a Marine Corps Reserve Unit known as Lima Company, which lost 22 Marines and one Navy Corpsman in Iraq in 2005. Lima Company has the unfortunate distinction of being the hardest hit unit in Iraq. Their mission was so critical and their losses so profound that A&E has aired a documentary about the, taken primarily from their own footage, known as "Combat Diaries: The Marines of Lima Company."

Our goal is to honor these men, and to let their families know that we have not forgotten the sacrifices their loved ones have made in addition to raising money for the education funds of the 15 children who lost their fathers. While we are doing this for these specific men, the event symbolizes our respect for all of our fallen heroes."

If you are interested in supporting Dan and the children of the fallen heros, donations are tax-deductible and they take pay pal and credit cards here:

www.alwaysbrothers.org/donations.php

Or, just "like" the "Always Brothers" page on Facebook, where they will be posting updates of the run. They also have a website: www.alwaysbrothers.org

There are 26 total runners, with seven guys --including Dan -- running the entire 100 miles. He ran 85 of the 100 miles last year, and his goal is to finish the full 100 within 24-26 hours.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend, remember what it is all about. And while you tee it up or have a beer by the pool, Dan will be pouding out the miles in Ohio!

Thank you,
Drew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Honoring the fallen heros - Marines run 100 miler 1 year 10 months ago #32628

That's incredible! My hats off to them. I think that too many people forget what this holiday is really all about. I will be sending in a donation. Great post Drew.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds