Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Todays Golf Apparel

Todays Golf Apparel 3 years 7 months ago #4244

• Chad Burch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Dirters,

It may just be me, but why are today's trendy, injection molded, golf shoes and space aged golf apparel so persistantly, so indescribably hideous? When did real leather and original moisture wickening fabrics like wool, go out of style, in favor of synthetics and plastics? I feel we are losing some tradition in our great game, in large part due to corporate america.

The golf industry is a huge business. I understand these companies need to come up with the latest and greatest "gimmick" to jam down the throats of the golfing consumer in order to fill their billion dollar pockets. But why do we as consumers, go along with it like corporate drones? I would say that most of us our avid fans and players of this great sport, especially if you are reading this. Wouldn't you say that we need a little more individuality and personality in the game? Most weekend golfers and ninety percent of the touring pros look like corporate clones. I will give, a slight break, to the pro golfer since they are probably getting paid to wear the "corporate uniform." Joe Shmoe on the other hand, I have to question.

We have all been in our local pro shops and golf superstores. You see what's hanging on the racks. What happend to the days of a little individuality and self-pride? I walk into these places and it saddens me to see overwhelming amounts of product and so little choice. It comes down to, "pick your logo" shopping. Don't misunderstand me by any means. I'm no oldtimer, "I remember back in the day" kind of guy (I'm 31), but seriously, this is what it's come down too, and to pay top dollar for all of it. Give me a break! A classy shirt, shoes and a taylored pair of wool pants cost about the same as what they are charging us for something fake, that doesn't even fit. Some people don't want to hear it, but you are what you wear! EVERYBODY, makes judgements by how people are dressed, good, bad, or otherwise. That's just human nature.

I could keep ranting about this subject or spin off to many others I feel passionate about, but I will respect your valuable time. I would like to say thanks to players like Jimmy Demaret, Payne Stewart, Steve Elkington, Ryan Moore, Christina Kim and some of our own, beer-swillin'', free-thinkin', weekend warriors, who have the courage to think for themselves and the wherewithal to question corporate america. I hope this is not a dying breed. Golf needs growth. I just hope we can all appreciate the true free thinkers that brought us this wonderful game. A little tradition goes a long way. Ugly ass commercialization does not!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: René Andersson, jim ruhnke

Re:Todays Golf Apparel 3 years 7 months ago #4245

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
I can say that I really like the Logo Secret in the Dirt (SITD)that Elk has been wearing and I'm sure Sevam1, Martinez, Mr. Burke as well as others involved in the site have some of the cool gear. I plan on ordering some of the logo stuff and would hope to see others do the same to help support the cause of the (SITD) website and any new improvements added to further the enjoyment of our experience.

Re:Todays Golf Apparel 3 years 7 months ago #4248

• Chad Burch
  • Fresh Boarder
I couldn't agree more! This site is for the people, by the people.

Re:Todays Golf Apparel 3 years 7 months ago #4251

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 124
Wish I had a SITD hat......

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15373

• Dutch
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
2 SITD store suggestions

1. White newsboy hat with SITD logo.
2. An Elk shirt line. If loud mouth can pull it off, what's to stop a line that sports these unique Elkish patterns?

Any takers?
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Dutch.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15380

• jim ruhnke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 121
Todays golf "Apparel" reminds me of a day I was stopped at a traffic light in downtown Chicago just outside of the main train station. A train had obviously just unloaded and, literally, hundreds of corporate clones came flooding across my view as they hurried through the crosswalk. EVERY one of them was wearing a tan, double breasted trench coat with belt and carrying a black briefcase! Hundreds of Maxwell Smarts on their way to the 45th floor of some glass palace. I thought to myself, "Are these the clowns that are in charge?"

Nothing makes me much happier on a golf course then to see some guy, usually playing solo, wearing a white cotton shirt, black slacks, black golf shoes and a white "Hogan " hat. Or, just as good, is the fun guy with the 12 pack in the cooler with the Hawaiian shirt .

As an aside, these corporate clones you see on the course not only try to look like Joe Pro they also imitate all of their pre-shot routines. You know, the tugging of the shirt at the shoulder, the pull on the seam of the trousers, the old plumb-bob routine, etc. etc. They take forever over a straight up hill 2 footer. It's like playing a guy in chess who takes 20 minutes studying the board and then makes a move which immediately puts his queen where a pawn can take her! I play a lot of "cow-pastures" just to get away from them.

Anyway, CHAD, that was a great opening post. It was like reading a column of Mike Royko's....Highest praise I can give.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15381

I miss the old golf shoes with flaps over the shoestring so you didn't see the knot. Kind of nice classy touch.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15383

• phily
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
I think you guys are being a bit harsh here. I looked online and found these stylish and sophisticated golf outfits from both Nike & Adidas upcoming fall lineup. The orange 'thermafool' fabric on left is from Nike's 'Idiocracy' collection. And the blue 'toolmax' fabric on the right is from Adidas's 'space cadet' collection. I've already pre-ordered to beat the rush. And another thing your all overlooking, you won't need to buy a Halloween costume this year so it's a real savings too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jim ruhnke

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15391

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
some of that stuff is real good tho if you are wearing it for practical reasons. examples are rain gear that keeps you dry, apparel with sun protection reducing chance of skin cancer, compression apparel like skins helps muscles and its not bs it really works. i dont care what logo it has or which pro might be wearing it as part of their gear contract. if it has practical application that is important to me i dont care if i'm gonna look like a clone eg if its raining i just wanna stay dry for the whole round because its has utmost practical importance to me as it affects attitude and performance and if i look like a dork or a clone in that rain gear so be it. as long as its not pink or visor or both i dont care :)

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15402

• phily
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
My rule of thumb is that if I can't walk off the course with what I have on, excepting golf shoes, into most social settings then it's not for me. That said I have a confession - If I could roll out of bed and get away with playing in a pair of boxer shorts I would.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15431

• fresh
  • Fresh Boarder
could not agree more with the op. thats why you'll see me at the course wearing a classic knit polo by ralph lauren or lacoste, some nice wool slacks, one of my old pairs of foot joy classics or my foot joy icons.

you wont see me looking like a banana, wearing a skin tight shirt, wearing a white belt, or wearing one of those hats camillo villegas or ricky barnes wears that makes you look like a communist border guard.

now where are my false teeth!?

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15484

• anton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 125
apart from your false teeth you forgot posh cashmere sweater over the shoulders. fashion police arrest this man!

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15797

• seth
  • Fresh Boarder
I dunno, I think golf apparel is in a pretty good place right now. Give me a Nike Dri-FIT with a pair of shorts and I'm pretty comfortable... but maybe that's just the Alabama humidity talking.
Last Edit: 2 years 8 months ago by seth.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 8 months ago #15826

I love the new apparel, the extra stretchiness and the sweat wicking. Colors don't bother me but, I don't get too loud, but to each his own, I prefer the diversity. The shoes bother me a bit, but as long as they keep making FJ icons, I'll be satisfied. I need a heavy leather sole. Those shoes Maves wears might work, but there hideous, but again to each his own.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24409

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
If you are a man and you want to look respectable, you must wear pants. Shorts are out.

Ladies look good. Although it's hard for the ladies to pull of shorts/skirts with the golf shoes. Men, we have no shot at looking good with short pants on. Nobody wants to see our socks and hairy calves.

Oh, it's too hot to wear pants where you live? That's why they have those mesh pants. The breeze goes right through 'em. They're money.

And if you wear pants you pretty much have to tuck your shirt in. Basically wearing pants is a quick trip to looking like a respectable and trustworthy individual.

Once you got your pants and shirt tucked in, you're going to need to figure out how to wear the right color combinations. Except its golf and nobody cares about colors. That's the tradition of the game!

But if I'm in your group and you're wearing something hideous, I'm going to make fun of you because that's also the tradition of the game. We gamble, talk smack, drink a bit, smoke a bit, play some golf and enjoy the day. Nothing better.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24411

Agree with you. FYI - Ryan Moore just signed deal to represent Arnie's clothing line on tour. Haven't seen the line, but, I'm sure it must be a bit OLD SCHOOL. All the best - McLooper

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24414

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Dudes want to tuck in their shirts to their shorts. Oxymoron. Does not compute. The only way you can pull this look off is if you have a Kenny Powers mullet and some sweet blade style Oakley sunglasses from 1997.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24415

KFP on the links...that's sugary.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24421

• Chad Burch
  • Fresh Boarder
Working in the golf industry comes with special challenges today not unlike many other industries. We really are at a crossroad that will determine the future of this great game. As annual rounds have steadily declined since the early 2000's, it is up to the up coming generation of golf professionals and merchandise/equipment designers to point us in the right direction.

So what does that mean? Well unfortunately the baby boomer generation that had all the promise of growing this game for the next decade or two has been ubruptly derailed by the economic catastrophe. Having recently worked at an exclusive private club in Myrtle Beach, I have witnessed firsthand the economic collapse of middle and even higher income families. The result was us practically giving away memberships for a mere fraction of what they were only 3 years ago. This is an epidemic that is sweeping across the country at an alarming rate. We need more grassroot type programs for inner city kids and lower income families that may not otherwise be exposed to this great game. With that comes new challenges to make golf affortable to the masses.

I created this forum to discuss golf apparel, but I felt the need to ask the opinion on my fellow Dirters' what you think needs to be changed within the game in order to prosper as players as well as an industry as we move forward?

Here is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to my opinion. In no particular order:

1. Pace of play needs to be delt with at 99% of public and private courses.
2. Maintanence costs need to come down in order to bring green fees down.
3. Players need to understand courses can still be enjoyed with less bunkers and maintained grass.
4. Modern golf equipment have not lowered handicaps!
5. Used blades and persimmon are more enjoyable and cost effective.
6. More money for "less shoe" is counterproductive.
7. Long live vintage wingtips and pleated pants.
8. Nobody past their 20's looks respectable in a flat brimmed hat.
9. We need the option to pay and play only an "X" amount of holes if so desired.
10. Tradition builds a solid foundation.

This was a bit of a rant but something that needs addressed. We need to attract the next generation and maintain the players we already have. Figuring out how to enjoy this game in less time and at a lower cost should be the goal of all us... in my opinion.

Note: Never underestimate the "old guy" with hairy legs, mid-length socks, and wing tips!

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24424

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Random Responses -

- Golf's product is the experience of being on the course, in beautiful weather, in any weather really, being away from the frustrations of normal life and being presented with a challenge to overcome. It's like a mini vacation or retreat. It's not about the number you shoot, it's about the fact that you're out there.

- It's a luxury industry for sure. There are no easy answers for luxury industries in times of economic problems.

- Pace of play cannot improve unless people know how to play effectively.

- Going for "volume" of golfers will slow down play as people have to wait for groups ahead.

- I don't have too many ideas about this, just observations.

- I don't want to publicly share my comments regarding wing tips and short pants. And midlength socks. And the blatant affront to common decency they would present if worn in public.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24436

• John B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
For those who like quality shoes check out this link for hand made leather shoes, custom fit.

Have modern materials where it improves on natural but look and probably feel great.

pescadorshoes.com/

Kenan, you can't have played much golf in a tropical climate :laugh:

I would never dream of playing in shorts back in the UK but out here (Thailand) they are a must.

Temps up to 40+ deg high humidity with little wind puts you at risk of heatstroke. Cannot wear black as it will

cook you inside out. Socks only just above the shoe line though. It gives a strange set of tan lines

with one white hand and white feet :laugh:

Oh and no one will tuck their shirt in as after a couple of holes you will have a soggy sticky mass around the

belt line. Point is that as everyone is wearing shorts you stop noticing it.

I just paid $25 for an original Titleist hat instead of the $5 knock offs I usually buy and had to chuck it as it

had some kind of (supposedly) breathable membrane inside. Result? I had so much sweat running into

my eyes I was towelling down every minute or so. Genius design. Wonderful hi-tech modern materials!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenan

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24508

• hoolio
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
How do you like these puppies Rene? :)
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by hoolio.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24511

• kenan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Had to golf in some heat in the Midwest. High humidity, only a slight breeze. It's not fun.

I was decked out in all my synthetic fabric golf gear. Pants. Tucked in. You gotta go all out, synthetic underroos. I was toweling off my arms quite a bit and my feet were pretty sweaty. Anytime a breeze came through, though, it blew straight through all the mesh I was wearing. It wasn't perfect but at least I was OK and also looked like a million dollars.

My dad's out there in cotton. He's like, "I like it because my shirt gets wet and then when a breeze comes through it feels colder." Dude's talking about using his sweat as a cold towel. Disgusting.

Maybe that's the key to golf in Thailand, take out a small cooler with some ice and a few extra hand towels. That would be money right there. Little bit of a cold towel action on the head or back of the neck. Nice.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 2 years 2 months ago #24551

• John B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Here we have comfort houses, usually every three holes for food and drinks

and 'Paa Yen' (cold towels in sealed packets) Your caddie will be happy to towel you down ;)

caddie.jpg

Definitely one of the bargains here at $10 per round .

You aren't allowed to play here without one.

Re: Todays Golf Apparel 1 year 3 months ago #44263

Chad,

I can't agree more with your observations about the sorry state of affairs with regards to today's golf apparel. Puma and Addidas are putting out some of the most "clownish" clothing I have seen in a long time. I thought the seventies where bad but this has really gotten out of hand. What I love about golf is that no amount of money is going to get you a good golf game.

I see countless players show up with $1500 in equipment, tee it up at the blue tees and after a long drawn out pre-shot routine proceed to push fade the drive into the woods while using a 800cc $400 dollar driver they bought to re-place the other one they bought six months ago that did the same thing. Now if they are in their late twenties and are festooned in one of those clown outfits from PUMA or Addidas, well they look as ugly as their swing!

Arniewear is an attempt to dial this back some but the demographic is still the twenty somethings and they really bear no resemblance to the pictures of Arnie in 50s, 60s or 70s. Their "modern twist" on the classics misses the mark. The "immediate gratification" crowd becomes quickly frustrated because all the money they spent on gear doesn't let them hit the ball down the middle 280 yds everytime while looking stupid in the process.

I really enjoy showing up (usually as a solo) on the first tee with my white Hogan Cap (a real "Hogan" cap I bought in the 80s) my custom tailored pants (tropical weight wool modeled after those seen in 5 lessons) freshly dry cleaned, super soft white pima cotton polo (no bands on the sleeves) and my polished Foot Joy Classics retro fitted with soft spikes. In my hand is an "old" steel Ping I3 driver which I pull from my bag that holds Hogan Apex Plus irons. I quickly proceed to hit it about 275 down the middle (low trajectory) and another 20 yds of roll. If it is cool out I usually wear a nice wool cardigan sweater.

After about three holes I have become annoyed because the other players are standing right behind me on every tee box to watch me drive the ball. They can't figure out how I can hit the ball with such a "flat" swing plane. These guys are all up high and over the top. Clearly the clown brigade is getting frustrated. They have all the right equipment and ugly clothes to match their swings. Here I am looking like a ghost from the 50s ripping it down the middle with "old school" equipment. Sometimes I'll smoke a cig while hitting just to show off.

They ask me what is my "Secret" to good ball striking. I tell them that I lay the club off at the top and cup my left wrist at the top, I twist my right foot into the dirt clockwise at address (did this before Sevam1) then I "run" my right knee towards the ball while supinating my left wrist at impact and that I wish I had three right hands. I step and throw (ala Mike Austin)by letting my right foot drag towards my left foot at impact and make sure my navel points towards the target with a high finish. I don't bring up "ring the bell" with my navel.

I don't have the heart to tell them the real secret is in the hat.

P.S. If you think that there might be a market for these slacks (as pictures in 5 lessons) let me know. I am going to call them the "The Ravelli."
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Cowger, Joe wiseman
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.524 seconds