Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=28&Itemid=3"]The Hands and Golf[/url] Group Forum: Behold perhaps the greatest pair of mitts to ever grab hold of a golf club. Look at the calluses and the dent in the left thumb pad. I think that we need to hear some talk about finger pressures and the hands. We hear about passive hands and educated hands and on an on but the one thing that I know is that they are your sole connection with the club. Lets try to make some sense of what Cotton and Vardon and Hogan and Mehlhorn and the rest had to say about the hands!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glove : To wear or not to wear

Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35798

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Firstly, please forgive any errors in my post, this is my first time.
I would like to know what percentage of you actually do not wear a glove, ever, when playing.
I am right handed and would normally wear one on the left hand.
I have tried them, and find one a message robber. I rely on feel and enjoy playing without as I get full feedback of what's happening at the club face through my hands.
I also get the image of the palm of my right hand being the club face and feeling the gathering of the ball in my hand at impact.
What do you do? Glove or no glove?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35800

The truth I discovered when I found the theory of my grip works was -- no glove necessary any more. What's even more astounding was my hands usually sweat easily. Gloves suck. The only gloves I use are rain gloves and when it rains heavily.

Cheers

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35805

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
No glove, except maybe when the humidity is such that excessive hand sweat will give rise to a need for one in some instances. That is a politically correct response.

However, in Festus lingo...gloves are for wimps. :laugh:

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35807

Good one, Festus :D

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35808

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 190
I wear the wimp special, a black rain glove - keeps my hand 'boob' groping friendly.
The first week with new grips though I can do without, but after that it's back to hand-underwear.

(I wonder if you use an oversize grip if the added grip thickness dampens as much feedback as a standard grip used with a glove?)

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35811

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
I feel it's not just the contact between hand and grip, but also between fingers and the unison of the hands.
I don't see grip size having that much effect on feel as it is connected solidly to the shaft. Providing its kept tacky and in good condition it should give a satisfactory amount of feel and control.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35825

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
Was thinking of the effect of 'constrained layer dampening' where the synthetic or leather coupled between the hand and rubber grip could easily (or does) absorb / diffuse energy.

Personally I just like the increased torsion effect a glove provides without having to add pressue (maybe some have more natural epidermal 'tack' than others & don't see the point of one). It's probably a wash feel-wise after you build up thick callouses with no glove vs keeping hands in safe cracker condition with glove.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35827

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 124
If your women on her way to church or a man working in construction, by all means wear a glove. If your playing golf, please. If you "feel" the need for a glove, your grip is flawed. No glove, or course.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35828

• 1lovegolf24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Whether one preferes a glove or not, the question that comes to mind is, why only one?

Mark, 1lovegolf24

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35830

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
A more intelligent question is " Why even one?"

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35832

• 1lovegolf24
  • Platinum Boarder
Henny,

Exactly!

Mark , 1lovegolf24

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35833

• moehogan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 214
Henny Bogan wrote:
A more intelligent question is " Why even one?"

Sometimes play with or without a glove ... just depends on feels and weather conditions. Heading to the range in few minutes ... probably will use one today. It's 90 degrees here with 80% humidity. Like Festus said, it's all about the sweat factor.

Two gloves are overkill as trail hand typically has less contact with the handle than the lead hand. Glove covered lead thumb also helps reduce slippage at pp# 1 due excess moisture.

Btw, NEVER heard of anyone implying that Jack Nicklaus was a wimp!

mh

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35834

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
Got to agree with Henny.
I am still surprised how many players putt with a glove on. I personally get no feel of pressure and distance control when wearing a glove.
Makes you wonder who convinced players to wear a glove, maybe Footjoy or Etonic.
Max Faulkner once called glove users as Hooligans, probably a bit excessive.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Chris Banner. Reason: Incomplete post

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35835

• Festus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 266
If one goes soft hand pressure and soft wrists for swinging, then a glove sort of makes some sense as Phily said there is then some traction without pressure to freewheel the clubhead. That was the genesis, I believe, for grips way back in the day.

However, if one goes with strong hand pressure and weaker wrist pressure, then a glove is probably not the best idea overall as the amount of grip pressure far exceeds the need for a glove....except for maybe weather.....and if grips are rubber compound and the player is lazy in not keeping them clean from skin oil, then the combination of weather, dirt, and skin oil might call for the need of a glove.

Then the other factor is a leather glove against a rubber composite grip. Two unlike surfaces. :(

Might be better to go with a real leather grip and bare hands ( skin is like leather )....then go play, humidity or not.

Me, I like callouses....cords and bare hands. Actually, I think callouses sort of become a built in grip reminder of sorts. :)
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Festus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35838

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
Player, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Shark, Senior etc. etc. all swung just fine when they wore a glove.

I realize they may be a bit complicated for some to figure out but I'll guide you through the process - here's how to put one on:
Pull open the magical 'velcro', orient your hand to the same outline the glove makes and insert your hand inside. Don't forget to close the special velcro. There you're done. Practice it a few times & it will become second nature.

btw - there's something new called toilet paper now too, check it out.

(:evil: )

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35839

• 1lovegolf24
  • Platinum Boarder
phily wrote:
Player, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Shark, Senior etc. etc. all swung just fine when they wore a glove.

I realize they may be a bit complicated for some to figure out but I'll guide you through the process - here's how to put one on:
Pull open the magical 'velcro', orient your hand to the same outline the glove makes and insert your hand inside. Don't forget to close the special velcro. There you're done. Practice it a few times & it will become second nature.

philly,

Vardon never wore gloves and advocated one of the lightest grips ever. Again, why one glove?

It is of course your choice, and you are probably one of those delicate flowers that drive your car with gloves. No problem. LOl.

Until someone explains why, I ask why?

In all fairness, the grips of old were leather raps, such as what Moe used. :)

Mark, 1lovegolf24

Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by 1lovegolf24. Reason: added comment

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35840

• moehogan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
1lovegolf24 wrote:
phily wrote:

philly,

Vardon never wore gloves and advocated one of the lightest grips ever. Again, why one glove?

It is of course your choice, and you are probably one of those delicate flowers that drive your car with gloves. No problem. LOl.

Until someone explains why, I ask why?

In all fairness, the grips of old were leather raps, such as what Moe used. :)

Mark, 1lovegolf24

Read post #35833.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by moehogan.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35843

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
didn't Moe use the same rubber strap over & over that he would just unwind wash and rewrap/replace (?)

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35844

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
Golf grips from manufacturers have changed over the years using more modern materials.
Are these grips more suited to glove wearers and produced with this in mind.
I can see the outer surface of the glove would have some tackiness to the club grip, but what about the inside of the glove which is usually a less sticky surface. Doesn't this give rise to movement between the inside of the glove and the hand to some degree.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35847

• phily
  • Platinum Boarder
good question , I just took off my typing gloves ;) and put on a brand new golf glove and compared grip using a new 'Pure' brand standard gip and going back and forth between bare hand and glove.
Not as big a difference as I thought. some very minor pro's and cons to both. finger tip control or 'tack' is maybe a little better with glove (probably helping thumb as MoeHogan pointed out). But the 'feel' and grip with bare hand felt great / better. Again this is a brand new grip.

Patted bare hand with moist paper towel and as you would guess grip was completely lost.

Even when it's not that hot out, you're either gabbing a drink out of the ice, or if you like to play early mornings the ball is always wet etc. so you can't always perfectly dry your hands. Gloves probably give you some psychological confidence in that respect.

*Tried glove with some vintage irons who's leather grips are in amazing condition and 'tack' was horrible compared to bare hand. (no matter how tight you gripped it slipped - but no problems with bare hand).

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35851

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
Guys, c'mon now. Humidity, sweat, moist paper towels. Really? All just lame exuses. Get a small bag of rosin and quit falling for marketing brainwashing. Leave the gloves for the HazMat teams.
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Henny Bogan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35852

• moehogan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
Henny Bogan wrote:
Guys, c'mon now. Humidity, sweat, moist paper towels. Really? All just lame exuses. Get a small bag of rosin and quit falling for marketing brainwashing. Leave the gloves for the HazMat teams.

Did you have a golf glove "trauma" that you would like to share with the group?

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35858

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
moehogan wrote:
Henny Bogan wrote:

Did you have a golf glove "trauma" that you would like to share with the group?

Doesn't everybody? ;)

FYI- where I grew up, we had trauma for breakfast.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35864

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
That's interesting that you mention using a grip compound on your hand like rosin.
I know you can buy various grip improving compounds in an aerosol but have never used one myself.
Has or does anyone use this type of preparation before playing or practising.

I make it 4:1 in favour of 'NO GLOVE' at the moment. Mr Hogan would be pleased, but there's still some work to do.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 1 year 11 months ago #35892

At best golf gloves are good only for a short time. Pros seem to change them during a round, like balls. There must be a good reason for that.
I have one golfing buddy who has a glove that looks like he used it in the garden, he complains about problems with his grip twisting in his hands!!!! The others use gloves for dozens of rounds and I suggest it effects their play .
They all laugh at me because I don't use one, never have for 15 years.

Be interesting to hear from the Elk.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.333 seconds