Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=28&Itemid=3"]The Hands and Golf[/url] Group Forum: Behold perhaps the greatest pair of mitts to ever grab hold of a golf club. Look at the calluses and the dent in the left thumb pad. I think that we need to hear some talk about finger pressures and the hands. We hear about passive hands and educated hands and on an on but the one thing that I know is that they are your sole connection with the club. Lets try to make some sense of what Cotton and Vardon and Hogan and Mehlhorn and the rest had to say about the hands!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Glove : To wear or not to wear

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 2 months ago #35902

I have to wear a glove - just find that in hot weather my hands sweat or if it is raining then the glove is essential. I've played a few rounds over the years without gloves but much prefer them. And at little cost I think it is worth making sure you have a new glove every few months (depending on how often you play)

Interesting reviews of the various gloves here

thesandtrap.com/t/21377/whats-the-best-golf-glove-out-there
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 2 months ago #36061

• Dean Mitchell
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
If you look after your grips and use decent grips there is no need for a glove. I've recently stopped using them again after a year or two trying them out. Save the money and buy your wife some flowers for brownie points. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Henny Bogan

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 2 months ago #36073

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
So, I guess "No Glove"wins, hands down! HA!

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 2 months ago #36110

• Gregory Smith
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
No glove. I stopped using one almost two years ago for a few reasons. Mostly, I got tired of taking it off and on near putting surfaces. Plus, once they get wet from rain, sweat, or spilled beer, they're useless.

Anyone ever practiced with no grip? I use removable grips, swing my sticks around the house sometimes with no grips, and get tempted. Good practice?

GS

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 1 month ago #37077

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
From Wiki-

Hogan played and practiced golf with only bare-hands i.e. he played or practiced without wearing any gloves. Moe Norman did the same, playing and practicing without gloves. The two were arguably the greatest ball strikers golf has ever known; even Tiger Woods quoted them as the only players ever to have "owned their swings", in that they had total control of it and, as a result, the ball's flight.[5]

Not much else to say really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1lovegolf24

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 1 month ago #37081

• Rob
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I stopped wearing a glove a couple of years ago and I don't quite remember what prompted me to do it. I'd worn one all my golfing life and the hand sweat I had do deal with had actually prompted me to start using a rain glove on my left hand (the one that grips better the wetter it is).

The funny thing was that when I quit using a golve my hands seemeed to stop sweating as much! Perhaps there was some of Pavlov's theory at work.... glove on = hands sweat, as if it was a conditioned response. 2 years into it and all I need is a good dry towel and I can play a round in humid conditions with no need for any sort of glove and with the same level of secure grip I had with glove on..

Love the cost avoidance too!

Re: Glove : To wear or not to wear 2 years 1 month ago #37083

• Chris Banner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
During our monthly round of golf, playing with no glove, my playing partner was having a nightmare. He said that he'd tried a golf glove a few months ago and his game hadn't been the same since, with or without it. After 13 or 14 holes he said he always thought he played better with a pair of ordinary woollen gloves he used to wear in winter. He happened to have a thick pair of proper winter golf gloves in his bag and he put them on. On the next tee he smashed the ball straight about 270yds with an "I told you so". He played 2 holes with these on and then said he had another glove a little thinner just for his left hand and he took his thick ones off and put this slightly thinner one on. He once again hit it miles down the fairway, straight. At the next tee he took that glove off and said he'd bought a normal golf glove months ago but never got on with wearing one. So he put it on and tee'd off. Ball flew 290 yds down the middle, into a good wind.
Wonder what he'll do next game.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds