Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=39&Itemid=3"]tournament winners[/url] Group Forum: This group is dedicated to those wo have won a tournament...whether its the PGA or a junior championship If you got a tropht I want to see it...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Parting with Woods

Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1751

Forgive a confused Swede for posting this in here, but Tiger Woods being a tournament winner, I figured this place was the most appropriate.

The title off course relates to Hank Haney's decision to no longer work as Tiger Woods' coach. My first and instant reaction was of the "rats leaving a sinking ship" kind of disgust Lite. He claims to be Tiger's "friend" and in my book friends stick by and support in time of need. If there is anytime Tiger might be in dire need of true friends, this is that time. But then it dawned on me, could it be that he is leaving Tiger as a coach, in order to be more of a friend? Is there some deeper motivation behind this that we don't see or understand?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1753

• HOOPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Perhaps Coach Haney does not want to be associated any longer with the constant new revelations about Tigers sordid private life that could ultimately cause him issues in his professional coaching life ???

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1777

hmmmm....

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1792

I haven't really looked at it from a "friend" point of view. How about a golf swing point of view? It doesn't look like what they were working was producing any results, maybe Hank saw the writing on the wall and saved face a little. That might sound a little cynical but thats my take. If you were Tiger, what teacher would you turn to?

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1795

According to Haney, Tiger had a better record than he had with Harmon. Exactly how he compared it I'm not sure, and obviously he would be inclined to defend his record with Tiger, that is simply human nature. I guess my thinking, once I got past my initial reaction, is that retiring as Tiger's coach may actually be the best for Tiger, rather than Haney himself. It could be that he thinks that Tiger knows how to fix any swing problem he faces simply by applying the needed corrections through autodidact measures, or by acknowledging that he already realizes what and how he needs to approach his swing.
Granted that Tiger does face some severe mental roadblocks right now, I'm fairly certain he still knows how he can swing that club to obtain maximum performance out of it. Questions from media and pundits about Haney's status with Tiger is probably one of those mental complications that Tiger simply don't need right now, he has plenty to deal with as it is. So by removing himself from the stage, he also removes one of the potential mental blockages that Tiger is facing. It is certainly possible that I am hitting one OB here and will have to take a stroke and distance penalty, but I just have this feeling that there might be something deeper here than meets the naked eye.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1803

seems to me Tiger is shedding himself of all the people in his life that "seemed" important to him. If I were his caddy.....I'd be worried :)

If I am correct his winning % is 43% tournys entered were wins under Hank. AWSOME run of wins IMO.

Maybe Hank needs to seperate himself as he is making more $$$ now then EVER in his career? I dunno? maybe Hank is tired of the BS that comes with being involved with El Tigre.

IMO Tiger will hit the "20" mark in his career. I hope to see it.

I feel Tiger will take a few months off, play the British, and come back one pissed off Pro, ready to win....I hope....actually all the family stuff I think is messin with his head......shame!

G.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1816

Tiger's record might be better with Haney, but I would love to see his ball striking stats, like total driving under Haney. If Tiger did not have the short game he doesn't win much of anything. Look at Torrey Pines, he drove it all over the lot, he is just a genius around the greens. Tiger was more mature by the time he got with Haney and rounding into his prime, I can't see putting to much emphasis on a win % with one teacher or another. No matter how great a short game is, bad driving will eventually take its toll. Look at what happened to Seve. Also Butch was the guy that helped form a swing and a game, that is huge, cannot compare stats to that. You have to count 5 USGA Amateur titles if you are going to compare records. Butch's dad Claude was the greatest all around pro ever, He won The Masters, was a head Pro and could teach. CLaude was one of the few guys Ben Hogan would listen to. I think Butch has the knowledge to go beyond fix swings, he can build games, look at Phil. I saw Haney's interview on Golf Channel and he was sincere and on the verge of being emotional, the last thing I would do is bash a world class teacher, but it wasn't working. Maybe Tiger could go t Butch's brother Billy.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1833

Hi Tim,
I am sitting here watching Hank talk on Golf Channel and they just showed Tigers all around driving stats for last year and he actually was in the top 10 believe it or not!

Like you said....his AWSOME short game is IMO what will get him out of most any nasty situation....and maybe this slump....

G.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1842

Gerry,
I don't think Tiger is shedding anything. I think he is being walked out on by his wife, P.R. firm, coach. There is a reason nobody is standing in his corner. Do the math.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1846

Top 10 driving?? that is amazing, is it because he is so high on the chart in Driving Distance?
One thing I would like to bring up is the subject of Driving in general. Mike Maves alluded to it. He thinks that the pros of past generations did everything better, because of the equipment. These kids now a days just rip it with all this new hi-tech stuff and still can't hit fairways. The old dudes had to do it better in order to compete. Check out MacDonald Smith swing sequence on The Hickory website. Unbelievable.
Hogan said MacDonald Smith was the premier swinger of the era, I can see why. Tell me a better swing today on the tour, well except maybe Elk.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1849

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
IMG well thought out plan to save face.. Helps Haney keep his rep and keeps Tiger from looking bad. Haney has been basicly gone since the Masters and basicly its a dual fault of both. Tiger is a true left to right player and Haney is a right to left teacher bad combo in my opinion and it showed by the work they did. Tiger knows more about the golf swing than most teachers and could go solo very easy but, he is not stupid and knows he needs eyes. Question is who will be those eyes?

Some have said Foley but don't see it happening and Foley has denied talkes, tour rumor is Butch but old Butch has told Tiger he will be #2 behind Phil, ain't gonna happen. John Riegger who teaches Brian Gay and a few other guys has been trying to work with Tiger also, a few other big name TGM coaches have bid for the job.

I really think that the person Tiger chooses to be his eyes and advise with on swing thoughts is going to to shock to alot of people and not saying he has choosen or I even know but, rather more, Tiger might suprise us. I threw my name in the hat and got a first response back but, I am sure that will be the only response I get, but who knows...! I can't wait to see who the next "Guru" will be...

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1852

Very interesting Burley. How do you "throw your name in the hat"? No disrespect, but I doubt you have Tiger on speed dial. :) Do you contact IMG and hope for the best? I am fairly sure that TW read TGM by the time he was 15 and he sure know how to walk the walk, rumor has it that he also likes to talk the talk. If you get to the point where you might have a conversation with him, don't get any first tee jitters. No matter the outcome, it would be a fantastic opportunity, and here is holding my fingers x-ed.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1857

I thought Lynn Blake works with Brian Gay. The Golfing Machine.
There are numerous you tube videos with Gay and Blake working together.
It would be very interesting to see Tiger under the tutelage of a Golfing Machine instructor. As many different shots as Tiger likes to hit I bet it would clarify alot of info in Tiger's head.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1858

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
No don't have Tiger on speed dial..:-) "Mark his Agent @ IMG"... No sure of Tigers back ground with TGM? I would assume he has read the book but, like I said not sure, I have only a kid relationship with Tiger and have not talk to him since he turned pro.

Most people think that Lynn Blake works with Brian exclusivly but its Riegger who works with him. Lynn does know the The Machine better than anyone and is a very smart man. Not sure if Tigers choice of a teacher would include someone that is TGM or any other "method" teacher? Will be interesting for sure who ever he lands with..!

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1871

Thanks for the info on John Riegger and Lynn Blake.

I do know that when Tiger was young, Earl asked Mac O'Grady to teach his son and Mac said no!

Mac teaches alot of the same concepts as TGM.
Boy it would be interesting if he went that route, probably not going to happen like you said.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1877

@Burley

Are you telling us you've played junior golf with TW?

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1883

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
<strong>Kumabjorn wrote:</strong>
@Burley

Are you telling us you've played junior golf with TW?

Never head to head but we were in some of the same tournaments. I meet Tiger in Houston when we were teens.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1885

Golf Machine is not a method, that is the beauty of it, it fits with any swing. There are just rules based on Physics and Geometry. Many, many different variables.
It explains golf instead of describing it.
Method is more like Natural Golf. One grip, one stance, etc.
I would love to see Tiger make a change in TGM mode.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1887

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
<strong>Tim Terwilliger wrote:</strong>
Golf Machine is not a method, that is the beauty of it, it fits with any swing. There are just rules based on Physics and Geometry. Many, many different variables.
It explains golf instead of describing it.
Method is more like Natural Golf. One grip, one stance, etc.
I would love to see Tiger make a change in TGM mode.

Correct, TGM is not a method but, there are 24 componets that Homer laid out and many different variations and I would concider that someone who is teaching a variation is teaching a method! Yes, it would be based off TGM.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1892

<strong>BurleyGolf wrote:</strong>
<strong>Kumabjorn wrote:</strong>

Never head to head but we were in some of the same tournaments. I meet Tiger in Houston when we were teens.

First of all, how badly where you outscored? :woohoo: Sorry, just kidding.

More importantly though, how does somethinglike that work. Would Earl and Kultida have to carry all the expenses for their child competing all the way in Houston? That would be a huge financial burden on them. Not like they could take out an extra loan with; "Hey its Tiger Woods we are talking about". I'm asking because here in Sweden, if a child is able to compete on a National level, the club and district will reimburse their costs, but they still have to do all the work.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1893

I've thought for a long time about Woods and I'm still pissed, why why should I care
one wit about this guy. This is why.
Before there is a swing to change or a tournament to enter there is the game itself
and this game "GOLF" is like no other and the first ingredient, the first prerequisite of the game is HONESTY it's the first thing that we all have to agree on to play this amazing sport. No one is going to play very long with a guy that can't be honest no matter how many boats he owns or how many trophy's he's got or what his dollar value is or even what an awesome talent he is if he cannot be trusted then he's no longer an asset to the game but a liability. To turn a blind eye to the very tenant that supports
this game is to gut the game itself of honor.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1897

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
<strong>Joe Mudd wrote:</strong>
I've thought for a long time about Woods and I'm still pissed, why why should I care
one wit about this guy. This is why.
Before there is a swing to change or a tournament to enter there is the game itself
and this game "GOLF" is like no other and the first ingredient, the first prerequisite of the game is HONESTY it's the first thing that we all have to agree on to play this amazing sport. No one is going to play very long with a guy that can't be honest no matter how many boats he owns or how many trophy's he's got or what his dollar value is or even what an awesome talent he is if he cannot be trusted then he's no longer an asset to the game but a liability. To turn a blind eye to the very tenant that supports
this game is to gut the game itself of honor.

I don't want to make this a Tiger woods ethic, pissing match but, I will say this "Tiger has never done these things on the golf course that you mention".. His personal life is his own. People think just because someone is on TV, Movies or a Singer they are supost to uphold some standard that is higher than that of God, no matter who or what you, are they are, not anyone on this planet is perfect. There are tons of people I would never invite to family dinner but, I sure enjoy or appreciate the things they do from a sports to civil stand point.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1898

I hear what your saying, but if you cannot be honest with your family or friends, co workers, in Tiger's case, then why wouldn't you cheat. Obviously the moral ground that keeps someone from cheating on his wife, is the same morality he would use to rationalize P.E.D.'s. In Tiger's case, with his body hurting, using the same doctor from Canada, Bonds uses to do routine blood work. Come on, If you don't want to believe it that is a personal decision, but the writing is on the wall. Before Tiger came along there was no talk of "drug testing". The thing about golf is it is a "gentleman's game", made to be self governed by the player abiding by the rules of golf. This is what draws so many people to the game. I just had to see it tarnished by some yahoo that thinks he's God. As far as the swearing goes, I swear on the golf course all the time, but if you know that there is a camera on you, bit your lip or find another way of expressing your anger. Just my .02

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1899

I would like to argue that cheating on your wife is proof that you don't use steroids. I am completely OK with swearing after a lousy shot, it is a frustrating game and you need to vent to get it out of your system before the next shot.

Re:Parting with Woods 4 years 7 months ago #1900

Please explain. I know steroids make your sex drive go through the roof, makes you irritable and aggressive, easily agitated. Sounds like Tiger to me. That is the explaination on google anyway, I have no first hand experience, so I may be speaking out of turn.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds