Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=50&Itemid=3"]Rules Group[/url] Group Forum: Got an issue that comes up repeatedly. Unsure about a ruling. Anything rules related on your course or on the TV.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Confused as to what do

Confused as to what do 2 years 4 months ago #33911

• Steve
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
What should I have done ? I am playing a a par 5 and knock the tee shot into middle of fairway. I then decide to hit a very easy mid iron further down the fairway to leave myself a short iron into the green. I aim slightly left as the fairway slopes left to right towards a lake. I the. Hit an awful smoother pull to the left in front of a playing partner and the balls heads towards a small trench like water hazard. After a lot of cursing I walk over to the hazard and the water level is very low and we cannot see my ball. there is plan life in there where my ball may be. The playing partner says he saw it go in and he is happy for me to drop another ball for a penalty shot. I do and from about 130 I knock the ball onto the green. We then walk down to the green and on the fairway in front of the green is my original ball. How the hell it got there is a mystery, it would appear it hit a rock on the edge of the water hazard and cannoned down the fairway and. Nearly got on the green. We couldn't believe it and did not see as we were playing into the sun.

Now what do I do, play the original ball ? Play the second ball on the green ? Out of the hole as I have played the wrong ball? I was told my a playing partner that my original ball was now in play. I was still not sure and then managed to chip badly and three putt Almost on purpose so I didn't score on the hole as I was worried I was doing the wrong thing. I did not declare my second ball as a provisional as we had seen it or thought we had seen it going into the water hazard. After the round I got a few different answers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Confused as to what do 2 years 4 months ago #33914

• Tapio Santala
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 92
I hope this makes it clear:

Q: A player believed his original ball had come to rest in a water hazard. He searched for about a minute but did not find his ball. He therefore dropped another ball behind the hazard under Rule 26-1 and played it. He then found his original ball outside the hazard within five minutes of having begun to search for it. What is the ruling?

A:When the player dropped and played another ball behind the hazard, it became the ball in play and the original ball was lost.
If it was known or virtually certain that the original ball was in the water hazard, the player was entitled to invoke Rule 26-1. In the absence of knowledge or virtual certainty that the original ball was in the water hazard, the player was required to put another ball into play under Rule 27-1. In playing the ball dropped under Rule 26-1, the player played from a wrong place.
In match play, he incurred a penalty of loss of hole (Rule 20-7b).
In stroke play, he incurred the stroke-and-distance penalty prescribed by Rule 27-1 and an additional penalty of two strokes for a breach of that Rule (Rule 20-7c). If the breach was a serious one, he was subject to disqualification unless he corrected the error as provided in Rule 20-7c.

So to be clear, as you both were sure it was in hazard, you were entitled to drop the new ball and continue with it. After that there is no way that you could continue with your original ball even if it's found later.

Dec. 26-1/3.5 Ball Dropped Under Water Hazard Rule with Knowledge or Virtual Certainty; Original Ball Then Found
Last Edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Tapio Santala.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve

Re: Confused as to what do 2 years 4 months ago #33924

• Timothy Goynes
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 233
Yup...as soon as you play a substituted ball, it is now the ball in play.

Of course, we do not have the benefit of galleries lining every hole to watch where our errant shots go, so often times if a similar situation arises with myself and my buddies, we'll often just say to play the original ball.

With that said, a totally acceptable option (and one you'll see in tournaments) is to play both balls if you are unsure of the ruling and there is no official present. Write down both scores, and at the conclusion of play a decision can be made as to which score is correct.

Re: Confused as to what do 2 years 4 months ago #33928

• Steve
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Tim and Sapio, thanks for your replies guys. Im a glad I just chipped and three putted my way out of the hole so there was no chance of me taking illegal drop and score. I think the several different bits of advice I recieved at the club reinfoced my thoughts about the sometimes complex understanding of the rules. Next time I should aim at that little bit of stone again but hit it harder next time so the ball makes it onto the green :):):)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds