Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=60&Itemid=3"]Military Golfers[/url] Group Forum: Open to all Military Golfers. I'm partial to the Air Force having just retired after 20 years, but we need all the branches to be a successful team, so welcome each and every branch member past and present. Thanks for your service to our country. USA!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Military Golf Courses

Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2436

Let's have a discussion about your favorite course either on a military base or supported by one.

My favorite is at NAS Oceana's Tomcat Course. Just something to be said for playing with jets howling just above you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2439

'65-67 I played Fort Sheridan's course North of Chicago. It was loads of fun. It had about 3 or 4 holes on the parade grounds. A par 3 that played across the runway of the airstrip. A tee of a par 3 was in the small back yard of a General's house next to where his wife hung the wash. The short par 5 17th (I think it was the 17th) had church pew bunkers/burms in front of the green to discourage going for the green in two.
Geez, it was fun.

Re:Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2440

have played exactly one - hill afb in Utah, fakin awesome course, old, slopey and lots of trees with some tough holes

Re:Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2444

Bayonet and Blackhorse at Ft. Ord in Seaside CA is the best two course complex in NorCal. Bayonet could hold a US Open tomorrow and the greens are now wicked since the redesign.

Re:Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2456

I would go with Bayonet and Black Horse at Fort Ord

Re:Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2480

I believe that Bayonet and Blackhorse are both awesome but the military no longer runs either of them. I heard there was a deal in place to protect the service men on cost but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Both are wonderful courses.

Courses in the Pacific Northwest include Fort lewis, McChord AFB both in Tacoma and a hidden gem on Whidbey Island called Gallery. The course is above the naval air station and the views of Puget Sound up the strait of Juan De Fuca are unbelievable. The course is always in good condition and great fun to play.

One thing to remember about military golf courses. If the base commander plays golf you are in luck, if he plays tennis, you will have to make do. But even the worst is better than most munis. Also, these courses are run with money generally provided by the servicemen through fees from the commissary and exchanges. They are all non profit, and do not use tax dollars.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Jack Challender.

Re:Military Golf Courses 4 years 4 months ago #2481

• Bob Perry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
I'm non-military but we have a course in Carlisle, PA (Army) that I just "discovered" as open to the public. A hidden gem complete with "beer guy" driving the beverage cart. ;-)

Re:Military Golf Courses 3 years 11 months ago #6591

• Mike
  • Fresh Boarder
Haven't been able to play too many military courses yet, maybe six in total, the best so far has been Marshallia Ranch at Vandenberg AFB. The smell of eucalyptus does wonders for the sensory experience.

Re:Military Golf Courses 3 years 5 months ago #13124

• Bill B
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
Ft Lewis & McCord are fun courses they are getting in better shape. Never played Gallery will check it out
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds