Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=65&Itemid=3"]Belly Putting[/url] Group Forum: Belly Putting is said to be the best way to putt and makes one keep a true "Pendulum" motion keeping the triangle in tact.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Belly Putting

Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #853

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
Just as it says!

It has been said to be the best way to putt and makes one keep a true "Pendulum" motion keeping the triangle in tact.

Wanted to get others feed back on styles, grips, and setups...

I said I would never putt with a belly or long putter, Ever! The other day I picked up a belly putter and sank 15 strait 12 footers in a roll, so naturally I decided to give it a roll for a while. I have been playing around with different grips, releases, and stance. I am trying to learn as much about the style as possible..

Anyone have any success stories?

BurleyGolf-
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Blake Burleson.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #854

I was so frustrated with conventional putters and putting, I just couldn't
hit a target to save my life. I started to blame my eyesight until
the argument about blind people golfing, anyway I'm 6'6" tall and bending
over seemed to take me out of my balance zone so I made myself a long putter
that I use side saddle and the view from up there is dead on, my swing arm is
straight and swings the pendulum in a nice flowing motion. Long distance putts
are the side saddle's forte, 10' plus.
If putting is one third of the game why limit yourself to 1 putter
I now use the long putter for long putts and am trying out Jackie Burkes
suggestion on learning with a blade putter that I use for 10' and under.

Belly Putter Winners 4 years 6 months ago #866

• Geoff Mangum
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
I can't recall anyone on the PGA Tour winning with a belly putter. Did Vijay? Has Billy Mayfair?

I also can't recall anyone on the PGA Tour winning with a long putter. Tim Clark comes to mind. Over 200 starts without a win. he has good putting stats but never has won.

Re:Belly Putter Winners 4 years 6 months ago #868

• Rob
  • Fresh Boarder
I think Scott McCarron won the Bellsouth with a long putter, and I think Steward Cink has wins with the belly putter.

I could be wrong on the first of those (his last win was 2001 and he might have still had the short putter then) but I remember Cink winning with the belly putter nearly for certain.

If someone wants to beat me to the research, please do so.

Re:Belly Putter Winners 4 years 6 months ago #870

• notJason
Was watching Fyurk putt Saturday with his left hand low grip.
Made me think it could help me by taking out something else that can go wrong out of the equation.
Later they showcased Fyurk on Swing Vision. Made me think, watching such an unconventional swing, that he developed it early on because it allowed him to be or feel comfortable with a body position he felt should begin delivery of the club.
Sure you have to experiment. But don't we all hit slumps or walls and instead of working through them in the best interest of long term results for wider benefit we find quicker results though modification. In Fyurk's case the trade off of power. (Yes Fyuk is truly a GREAT golfer - the only autograph I've ever asked for). You have to wonder though if Fyurk had developed a more conventional swing, being tall & wiry, how many more tricks / options would be at his disposal.
That's my, perhaps 'narrow minded', view of belly putters. It really seems to be the long way home. A trade off of improved general accuracy vs mediocre ultimate results. And in putting close doesn't count.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by notJason.

Re:Belly Putter Winners 4 years 6 months ago #871

If I'm 60' from the pin my side saddle long putter has consistently brought my
lag to within 3' and a lot of times closer. It's my game and my choice and
certainly more people have won with the sticks they were taught to use, maybe
I just never learned properly and maybe Vardon should never have messed with
a different grip.
The sidesaddle stance is a completely different view of the target from
a different height with a IMO very comfortable platform, as with anything though
practice, practice, practice.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #872

Freddie Couples has made a few putts with his belly putter the past few months.....:)

and won what?.....3 of his first 4 events entered.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #876

• Rob
  • Fresh Boarder
Couples is doing great. He did win in Houston on the PGA tour with the belly putter a few years ago for sure.

I think Geoff asked about PGA victories only.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #1006

• Blake Burleson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 126
Well, I have retired the belly putter! I gave it a shot in the first round of the tour event this week and after hitting 14 green and 12 fairways a 79 tells me it did not get the job done... I really like the way it rolls but I had so many 3 putts I might have set a new record! So, my short 3 wiggle is back in the bag..

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 6 months ago #1035

<strong>BurleyGolf wrote:</strong>
Well, I have retired the belly putter! I gave it a shot in the first round of the tour event this week and after hitting 14 green and 12 fairways a 79 tells me it did not get the job done... I really like the way it rolls but I had so many 3 putts I might have set a new record! So, my short 3 wiggle is back in the bag..

Hey man, Congrats on playing in a tour event! :) nothing like hitting the ball well.....I'm surer the putting will come around and the next round will be 69!

good luck, G.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 5 months ago #1674

So Tim Clark wins the Players with a long putter, how about that.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 5 months ago #1744

• Bill B
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
As soon as the long putter appeared, there were questions about its legality. Some argued that because a player anchored the shaft against his chin, chest or belly, it provided an unfair advantage. The Rules of Golf state that a putter cannot be shorter than 18 inches, but there's no maximum length. Still, the governing bodies could have banned the clubs under the rule stating that equipment must maintain "traditional and customary" use, and in fact one of the biggest arguments against the clubs is that they simply don't look right. In this case, however, the rule makers determined that while the long putter does provide some advantages, particularly for players struggling with the yips, the club also has disadvantages (speed control, less feel) that balances the exchange. As Frank Thomas, who was the USGA's technical director at the time, has said, "It can make a bad putter a good putter, but it can't make a good putter a great putter." Still, the controversy persists. In 2004, when Vijay Singh switched to a belly putter and went from 100th in putting average to the top 10 (and rose to No. 3 in the World Ranking), belly putters swept the Tour. "They should definitely be banned," Ernie Els said. "I believe nerves and the skill of putting are part of the game." Els didn't get his way, but since then long putter usage has remained flat according to the Darrell Survey, largely for the reasons Thomas stated. "I can always be an average putter with that long putter," Tom Lehman told Golf World last year. "But if I wanted to be a really good putter, I had to go back to the short putter. I don't want to be an average putter. I don't want to be a decent putter. I want to be a great putter. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of pain in the short term to make myself a great putter."

3. A Short History

Read more: www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28...0.html#ixzz0nfu8rocz

Vijay must have won some tournaments in 2004. Cabrerra won the 2009 Masters using Belly putter

1. At the Masters, Angel Cabrera became the first player to win a major with a long putter. The accomplishment — or abomination, depending on your point of view — comes with an asterisk because Cabrera swung Ping's 39-inch customized belly putter like a normal flat stick, i.e., he held it with two hands on the end of the shaft, not secured to his gut.

Read more: www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28...0.html#ixzz0nfv3KYBw

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 5 months ago #1794

hey, on the topic of not being legal because you anchor it to the belly? what about Nicklas and Arnie anchoring their elbow to their hip then putting like Jackie Burke talks about. Wouldn't that be the same type of thing?

G.

Re:Belly Putting 4 years 5 months ago #1804

• Bill B
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 130
Gerry,

I would agree if the club is legal under USGA rules then a player should be able to use it in competition. I just copied the article to show players have won using belly putter. I think VJ won 6 times

Re: Belly Putter Winners 3 years 1 month ago #16678

• Steve
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Geoff.....Now it seems everyone is winning with a Belly Putter

Re: Belly Putter Winners 1 year 3 months ago #59857

• wheatshock
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
moved content to long putter unanchored.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by wheatshock. Reason: moved content

Re: Belly Putter Winners 1 year 2 months ago #62263

• wheatshock
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
moved to my own topic, long putter unanchored
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by wheatshock. Reason: moved content
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds