Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
[url="index.php?option=com_community&view=groups&task=viewgroup&groupid=74&Itemid=3"]Naturally left handed but play Right handed[/url] Group Forum: I am naturally left handed and left footed with everything including sports.....but found golf too difficult left handed and have always played right handed. I sometimes wonder if this is a good or bad thing.....?

Would I hit the ball further left handed with my more powerful arm and side ? It has worked for other great players but would welcome the thoughts of others who are left handed but play right handed...and why do we find it so difficult to play with our natural left hand when right handed people never seem to have this issue....

Thanks
  • Page:

TOPIC: Left handed swinging right handed

Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 8 months ago #9589

I am in the same boat with whomever started this topic. I have playing since I was eleven and have always wondered why I swing a bat and golf club right-handed. I believe Fred couples is left handed. Was curious if anyone thought his weird vertical movement coming back was due to this?

Anyways....on my misses I usually miss left. So after recently studying Hogan and others' ideas of the grip I may start to play with Hogans 5 fundamentals left hand. When you look at the 2007-2008 Tiger Woods grip it seems to have only 1-2 knuckles showing (closer to 1). Of more importance I have never gripped the club in the fingers of my right hand and am excited to try this.

Was wondering what you guys thought of these potential changes and if there are any other lefties playing from the wrong side?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 8 months ago #9600

• Hardpan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Hi Sully, I just noticed this group. I'm left everything (hand/foot/eye) but my dad (a club pro) started me right handed (50+yrs ago!)...i actually played golf before any other games so I batted right handed (poorly) and always swung under the baseball (dang golf swing)....later in high school, I fooled around swinging left handed but it was just like starting over so I blew it off...wonder If I should have stayed with it...later became a club pro myself...my dad mentioned over the years that club availability was a factor in choosing right handed and also said that Hogan was a lefty so it should be good enough for me :) I think now it's been stated somewhere that Hogan's first club was indeed left handed but that's because that's all there was at the time..as soon as he could, he got a right hand club..no where did it say he was left handed so...oh well, I don't have a source.

Growing up in the 1960's, no video, TV golf was just coming in, I had three books from my dad's golf shop, Hogan's "Power Golf", Nelson's "Winning Golf" and another by Snead that I can't remember...they all had page size photos and that was my inspiration, instruction consisted of "pull the club through, gravity will square it up"...unless you already have a Strong left side, then you grow up slicing the crap out of it so then you develop a strong grip and then.....whew...I was forty something before I found instruction that taught what the trail/right side actually did and that's when my ball striking improved a Lot....then along came TGM and there is actually a stroke called Hitting that is more of a right sided action...and then Dirt....still getting better....
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Hardpan.

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13248

• Frankie
  • Fresh Boarder
I am also a lefty swinging from the right side I have done one thing that has helped 10 finger grip.
After all, Harry Vardon developed his grip so that the stronger hand would have less fingers on the golf club and therefore not dominate the swing, why would we want to put the hand that has less power with only four fingers? In my golf swing the left side is very dominate I pull instead of push. I have tried the push method from the right side with no success. I believe if I turned around and played left handed I would have a greater swing speed, but it just looks too weird.

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13255

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I'm like you Frank. Lefty swinging righty. Huge puller. This year after discovering the Cmotion, I decided to turn around and try to swing lefty. Like someone said, "God gave me a dominant side, why not use it"?
Far from having it honed, but safari so goodie.
Are you familiar with Cmotion? If so, find an old lefty club and experiment. I think you'll surprise yourself.

Frank Giannuzzi wrote:
I am also a lefty swinging from the right side I have done one thing that has helped 10 finger grip.
After all, Harry Vardon developed his grip so that the stronger hand would have less fingers on the golf club and therefore not dominate the swing, why would we want to put the hand that has less power with only four fingers? In my golf swing the left side is very dominate I pull instead of push. I have tried the push method from the right side with no success. I believe if I turned around and played left handed I would have a greater swing speed, but it just looks too weird.

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13321

• Frankie
  • Fresh Boarder
Just looks to weird for me the club head never looks square

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13338

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
Never mind how it looks, how does it "feel"?
Frank Giannuzzi wrote:
Just looks to weird for me the club head never looks square

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13452

• Frankie
  • Fresh Boarder
Very Clumsy!!!!

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13456

• 1lovegolf24
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 263
Frank Giannuzzi wrote:
Very Clumsy!!!!

Mr. Giannuzzi, I am a lefty who swings right, and also a righty who swings left.

It sounds confusing, and I won't get into all the details, so I will make this one observation. My power does not come from my most coordinated side. My clumsy side is the most powerfull whehter I am executing a motion from the left or right side.

However. the longer I execute a motion, the more the clumsy goes away and now I have the best of both worlds, power and coordination. The hardest part from there is to choose the best combination.

When I golf, half my shots are from the right and the other are from the left, or sometimes it just depends on the lie.

Good Luck and Keep Diggin

Mark, 1lovegolf24

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 3 years 4 months ago #13460

• Henny Bogan
  • Platinum Boarder
This might be a tough one. Does it feel more clumsy than when you started swinging from the right side when you began golfing? Can you remember? Do you remember your first 9 hole score righty? Go out and play 9 holes lefty and see how that number compares. Think outside the you-know -what. Enforce your will on every shot. Use the power of the earth and the dominant side your were born with(for a reason). If it's an epic fail, at least you'll know. Trust yourself. Nobody remembers how many times Babe Ruth struck out, they only remember the home-runs. Swing for the fences each and every day my friend. Enjoy the journey.

Frank Giannuzzi wrote:
Very Clumsy!!!!

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 2 years 8 months ago #26553

I am left handed playing right. When I swing too hard the extra effort goes in to my dominant side; the left hence I do not release properly but hold-off causing a slice. You should only hold off a hook if you are going to hook otherwsie .. still with me ?

If you have the same problem as me and you frequently try to 'melt the ball" make the left less dominant and the right more so .. i.e make sure the left hand grip is neutral and use a 10 finger grip.

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 2 years 8 months ago #26561

Interesting topic this one, I'm left handed but only in writing and a few other things...with sport I'm right handed mainly. Playing pool, throwing darts, placing a needle on a record (for those old enough) I do with my right hand.
My theory is that as my 'dominant' side is left handed, then I try to feel as if I pull the clubhead through rather than push it with my right.

Now whether its right or wrong makes no difference. The thing is, it works for me!

Thinking about it, it might be the reason why my short game is guff! Maybe I should putt left handed??

btw - that was a joke! I've tried it. It doesnt work either! :laugh:

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 2 years 3 months ago #35101

• alex
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys there is new cool social network website for LEFT HANDERS at

WWW.IMLEFTY.COM

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 2 years 3 months ago #35102

• alex
  • Fresh Boarder
if you are left handed join us at www.imlefty.com we need your supprt

Re: Left handed swinging right handed 1 year 4 days ago #64565

I am opposite to the thread title being a natural right handed person swinging the golf club left handed. However, the same subject of - is it beneficial or detrimental to swing on the opposite side to your natural or most skillful hand?.... still applies.

I have played (tried) golf for over 30 years now. My biggest weakness had been my %$#&^!! short game. My percentage of success for an up and down from within 50 yards had been no better than 10%. My front (right) arm was so dominant, I was practically playing a back handed shot and my back (left) hand hanging on for the ride. I rarely returned the club head back to strike the ball in same position as set-up. The results were as you can imagine (ugly).

I have recently started to use my back (left) arm as the piston and guide for my front (right) arm. Basically, the front (right) arm becomes the less dominant member while the back (left) becomes THE player. I know there are other swing factors to consider such as shoulder/hip turn, weight shift etc. but I honestly feel more in control of the club head by making my back (left) arm the dominant one. The percentages for up and down from off the green (within 50 yards) are now at a very acceptable (for me) 60% or 6 out of 10. It's a miracle!!
Last Edit: 1 year 3 days ago by Peter Gliddon.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.468 seconds